• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Semi Final | NZ vs Pak | Sydney, 09 Nov 2022

pomnotenglish

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Poor Kiwis ... never turned up for the game. Looked off-colour from the word go. Pak were the exact opposite. As I had feared, the brittle batting lineup was exposed. Of course, being a t20 can't read too much into things like form...but as it turns out a very forgettable evening for them. Pak bowlers were quick to pounch on the sub-continental conditions of the pitch while the Kiwis couldn't adapt to it later on too when they were bowling. Now, its India's final to lose.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Poor Kiwis ... never turned up for the game. Looked off-colour from the word go. Pak were the exact opposite. As I had feared, the brittle batting lineup was exposed. Of course, being a t20 can't read too much into things like form...but as it turns out a very forgettable evening for them. Pak bowlers were quick to pounch on the sub-continental conditions of the pitch while the Kiwis couldn't adapt to it later on too when they were bowling. Now, its India's final to lose.
I don't think a brittle batting lineup was exposed. We only lost 4 wickets. It was just that none of our big hitters (Allen, Phillips, and Neesham) got going.

Stefan9

International Debutant
I don't think a brittle batting lineup was exposed. We only lost 4 wickets. It was just that none of our big hitters (Allen, Phillips, and Neesham) got going.
Your trundlers took up half the innings. Williamson and conway faced 62 balls between them and only scored 67.
Pakistan's trundlers were much better.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Conway’s run-out was a huge turning point. He’d just started to shift gears and inject some momentum when he got caught out with a slightly unlucky bounce while going for a quick single. What was shaping up as a solid foundation for a big push in the middle overs ended up fizzling out to 20/1 off overs 6-10. NZ never really got back in the game after that, despite having a decent last 10 overs.

Allen I still think is a couple of years away from being a serious player in internationals. He’ll come off with a hiss and a roar every now and then, but more often than not he’ll be found out like he was today. There’s only one real swing bowler in the Pakistani bowling attack, so the plan should’ve been for Allen to get through the first over and then look to play his shots against Naseem and Rauf. But Allen just looks like he wants to be 2015 Baz every time he walks to the crease. Someone should’ve played him the highlights from the 2015 final before the game.

Last edited:

pomnotenglish

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Of course, our opinions may differ. I only meant that when I see this Kiwi batting lineup, the only consistent ( if there can be such a thing in t20) batsmen I would have hopes from are Mitchell & Conway. KW is fine for a run a ball kinda or holding role in case of a collapse but not convincing enough for me. Players like Allen, Phillips & Neesham seem to be a bit of hit or miss. Similarly, in bowling have never been convinced about Sodhi & Southee. Again, just my opinion. Nothing set in stone. Best of luck to Kiwis against India in the upcoming series.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Of course, our opinions may differ. I only meant that when I see this Kiwi batting lineup, the only consistent ( if there can be such a thing in t20) batsmen I would have hopes from are Mitchell & Conway. KW is fine for a run a ball kinda or holding role in case of a collapse but not convincing enough for me. Players like Allen, Phillips & Neesham seem to be a bit of hit or miss. Similarly, in bowling have never been convinced about Sodhi & Southee. Again, just my opinion. Nothing set in stone. Best of luck to Kiwis against India in the upcoming series.
Pretty good summation imo, though I think you’re being slightly harsh on Phillips and Southee who’ve both had excellent tournaments. The real passenger in the bowling lineup has been Lockie, has had no rhythm since coming back from his various injuries over the past couple years. Still, Mitchell and Conway are the only guys who you can really bank on playing both nurdling and power hitting roles well.

ashley bach

International Captain
I'm not the pessimistic type at all, but got to be honest and say I've got an eerry feeling about this one.
It's like Pakistan are riding a free lifeline and will have nothing to lose, would much of preferred South Africa.
Paramount we don't let the spinners get on top early and dictate the flow of runs, easier said than done though, in particular we need to tame Shadab.
God help us if Babar and Rizwan suddenly hit their straps.
It's the last time I'm ever asking for God's help, f... him.

thierry henry

International Coach
Also has Lockie really been short of a gallop or is this just him? He’s bowled as fast as ever this tournament, he’s always been a bouncer/yorker/slower ball guy. Maybe his shock value just wore off?

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Conway’s run-out was a huge turning point. He’d just started to shift gears and inject some momentum when he got caught out with a slightly unlucky bounce while going for a quick single. What was shaping up as a solid foundation for a big push in the middle overs ended up fizzling out to 20/1 off overs 6-10. NZ never really got back in the game after that, despite having a decent last 10 overs.

Allen I still think is a couple of years away from being a serious player in internationals. He’ll come off with a hiss and a roar every now and then, but more often than not he’ll be found out like he was today. There’s only one real swing bowler in the Pakistani bowling attack, so the plan should’ve been for Allen to get through the first over and then look to play his shots against Naseem and Rauf. But Allen just looks like he wants to be 2015 Baz every time he walks to the crease. Someone should’ve played him the highlights from the 2015 final before the game.
Actually felt the Conway dismissal was just as stupid/needless given that was the last ball of the powerplay. Once he gets his eye in he's the one guy capable of getting after the spinners, and not only was it a waste of a wicket but brought Phillips out against a set favourable bowling matchup.

Too bad given the tournament started out brightly for NZ, but today happened to be the day their particular weakness came to the fore. More on that later, here's hoping for a cracking last couple of games.