• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Semi Final - India v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Strange that Jadeja is the only batsman all game trying to push each ball into gaps with the occasional big shot. Used to be ODI batting 101.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
There's 3 more overs of Neesham/CdG to go, Kane may have quite a decision to make whether to bowl them out now.

Good stroke Jadeja, that Manjrekar tweet seems to have spurred him on. By far India's player of the game so far.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
You know whats sad about this, the fact that all you needed was ONE PLAYER to score even a run a ball 30 at the top... and India would genuinely be in this.

TheJediBrah

Also this puts into perspective all the moaning kiwi posters were doing here yesterday about Kane and Rosco being too conservative and having to "take more risks as the underdog".

It definitely made sense at the time but the NZ bats' conservative approach looking vindicated so far. Good thing they don't listen too much to the fans, NZ probably would have been fired out for 120 if they went much harder.

cnerd123

likes this
I hope that for every second of this game Jadeja has been spurred on by the thought of saying '**** you Sanjay Manjrekar' when picking up his MOTM prize at the end of the match

please do it jaddu.

wrongun

Banned
honestly, no idea. He was in pretty poor form in the leadup. But if Rayudu isn't the answer, then why did he get 3 years worth of JAMODIs in our middle order, when that time could have been spent grooming a better prospect? The Indian management will sometimes stubbornly stick with out of form players on the basis that they trust them to do the job and produce results eventually. But Rayudu was dropped on the eve of the tournament they were meant to be preparing him for. Whether or not Rayudu would have saved India today doesn't take away from the fact that it was really poor player management.

Similarly Pant has only batted at 4 in ODIs one time until this tournament. That's crazy. Pandya has only really started batting up the order this WC too. He was groomed to be a finisher at 6/7, but today he's sent in to guide a tricky chase ahead of MSD. You do not decide who takes on such crucial roles in your batting order once the tournament has started - the players for these roles should have been identified years ago and given sufficient time to grow into the role.

It's just not the way to go about things, and fittingly it's come back to bite them when it matters.
Thank you for this brilliant post. Was exactly what I was referring to by asking about Raydu. I remember referring to terrible foresight and planning by the Indian team when they toured SAF last January and picked Sharma over another proper batsmen. The issue wasn't Sharma, the issue was the though process behind it. Shastri and his think tank seem to not have a proper place in plan.

TheJediBrah

do we prefer India just bat out 50 here, or get bowled out showing #intent?

Against Aus in 2015 MSD just batted out the 50.

I'd rather they go for it here and look to pull off the impossible. No NRR to protect, and the quicker they're bowled out the quicker we're put out of our misery.
That shouldn't even be a question. It's a WC semi final, you get nothing from coming close. If you even have a 0.000001% of winning it you take every risk you need to allow it to happen. The only reason you would "bat it 50" here would be playing for your average.

trundler

Thank you for this brilliant post. Was exactly what I was referring to by asking about Raydu. I remember referring to terrible foresight and planning by the Indian team when they toured SAF last January and picked Sharma over another proper batsmen. The issue wasn't Sharma, the issue was the though process behind it. Shastri and his think tank seem to not have a proper place in plan.
Previously unsaid sentence in all of history