Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Political Advertising on Forum

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar

Political Advertising on Forum

So I click on to the Aussie Politics thread today and cop an ad at the bottom of the page for the Liberal candidate in the State seat of Penrith, which bi-election is tomorrow.

What are your thoughts on this? Personally I threw up, but I hate Tories, except for Cribb, HJ, Social and the lads on here, who are all decent blokes despite this obvious short coming..

Thing is, come the Federal or State elections, will the site accept ads from the parties? If so, which ones?

If the BNP wanted to advertise on here, or One Nation, would it be acceptable to you as a member, or for that matter, would the site accept and run their ads?

I'm sure David Oldfield likes cricket. What if he wanted to advertise?

Is CW better off without any political ads on here, or should we rightly only let the ALP and the unions advertise?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Burgey; 18-06-2010 at 03:05 AM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Haha, just finished and submitted a 6000 word essay on political marketing today
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

The ads are all done through Google and automatically approved. We have the ability to block certain ads, but unless they're against forum rules, they're perfectly fine.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Burgey raises an interesting point tho, I'm not sufficiently gened up on the BNP's policies to know if they actually contravene any specific forum rules, but they aren't an organisation I'd feel comfortable sharing bandwidth with, tbh.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

During the US elections the site was flooded with McCain ads. Im not sure Ive formed an opinion yet on whether I have a problem or not with political ads on Cricketweb.

On one hand Id like to see a separation but on the other, it is just ads
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Disagree that political ads shouldn't be allowed on here ftr unless you think all forms of political advertising in any medium should be banned. If it's on behalf of a malicious organisation like One Nation then by all means block it, but don't really see the case that it should be banned all together because they could do it if that's what you're arguing (the whole slippery slope thing...)

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Disagree that political ads shouldn't be allowed on here ftr unless you think all forms of political advertising in any medium should be banned. If it's on behalf of a malicious organisation like One Nation then by all means block it, but don't really see the case that it should be banned all together because they could do it if that's what you're arguing (the whole slippery slope thing...)
    BNP's position fairly similar to One Nation's, I think. Rights for (white) natives and "repatriation" of minorities, including (bizarrely) those UK born and raised; that kinda thing.

I'm not ads from anti mainstream parties of whichever leaning, but would have no issue with the far right fringe being banned from CW bandwidth, myself.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    So the ads are related to words on the page, eh?

Sure would hate to see some ads on hot bikini babes...
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

I'm getting one for Kingston University. Apropos of what, I don't know.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    So the ads are related to words on the page, eh?

Sure would hate to see some ads on hot bikini babes...
    Didn't work.

Will probably come up with an ad for Kerry Katona now.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Ad-block FTW, TBH.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    Didn't work.

Will probably come up with an ad for Kerry Katona now.
    Axe undie run vid playing for me.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Burgey raises an interesting point tho, I'm not sufficiently gened up on the BNP's policies to know if they actually contravene any specific forum rules, but they aren't an organisation I'd feel comfortable sharing bandwidth with, tbh.
    As soon as you start deciding which political parties you'll accept ads from though and which you won't, the site does become inheritantly politcally biased. You and I both disagree with the BNP policies but that doesn't make them invalid. I disagree with the ALP and British Labour policies too but I don't think their ads should be banned. Whether the policies of any given party are over-the-top is a purely subjective opinion - it's a very slippery slope.

Anwyay, as has been said, we don't decide which ads get put up at the moment; they're just Google ads. James hasn't been taking money from the Libs, Burgey.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Take your point, but what if these good people, or their Australian equivalent, decided to run an ad?

American Nazi Party

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Take your point, but what if these good people, or their Australian equivalent, decided to run an ad?

American Nazi Party
    Yeah, again, I don't think it should be illegal or anything. Obviously it's up to the discretion of the site administrator, but if the owner of a website decided to allow Australian Liberal Party ads and not Australian Nazi Party ads I'd class that as a politically biased decision (unless it was based on the money offered or the potential loss of members or something like that). Not that it'd necessarily be a bad one, but it'd be politically biased all the same as it'd based on the political leanings of the admin.

Personally if I was running an apolitical website and Nazi Party ads starting appearing on it via Google AdSense, I'd just disable all political ads, which I'm pretty sure you can do. Don't think it's an issue at the moment though.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 22-06-2010 at 07:53 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information