• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** English Football Season 2023/24

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gateshead getting booted out of the Conference play-offs for not having a secure tenure over their ground for the next 10 years recalls a time when there was always an excuse for the team for the Conference not to get promoted.
Gotta say as a team that profitted from these decisions, think it is a bit of an annoying trope, teams had to put money they couldn't afford to upgrade stadia, which put them at a disadvantage to the ones that didn't bother.

A team like Yeovil built their own stadia and ended up relegated into the Southern League, other teams spent their money on players.

Molehill

International Captain
Chelsea not the only team to lose 5-0 last night 😂 😂 S*uthampton left to go through the lottery of the play offs, and seemingly losing form at just the wrong time.

Leicester all but promoted you'd think now, could happen without playing another game if Leeds lose at QPR on Friday. I wonder what points number they'll start next season?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Chelsea not the only team to lose 5-0 last night 😂 😂 S*uthampton left to go through the lottery of the play offs, and seemingly losing form at just the wrong time.

Leicester all but promoted you'd think now, could happen without playing another game if Leeds lose at QPR on Friday. I wonder what points number they'll start next season?
I imagine Leeds will win Fri and then Leicester go up with a win next Monday...

They really should have been up by March but it shows you the power of a good start. They've been dog turd for months before last night

Molehill

International Captain
I imagine Leeds will win Fri and then Leicester go up with a win next Monday...

They really should have been up by March but it shows you the power of a good start. They've been dog turd for months before last night
I suspect they'll be dog turd again, they just have a rich history of thrashing S*uthampton. Second time this season and then of course there was the 9-0 in 2019.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Feels terminal for yer Scousers' title hopes, this.

They now need Citeh to slip up twice and genuinely struggle to see that.

Skipper Pup

U19 Debutant
Feels terminal for yer Scousers' title hopes, this.

They now need Citeh to slip up twice and genuinely struggle to see that.
I think most LFC fans knew it was over after the Palace game tbh. Nothing about that Everton game shocked me, the team has run out of gas.

Lots of work to be done over the summer but I feel first business is getting Mo out the door, irrespective of who the new manager is. Phenomenal player and legend of the club but he's not the player he once was and the goals have masked some really poor performances this season. It feels abit like the Kane saga, it'll be a huge loss on paper but it should galvanize the squad and give others an opportunity. The reality is we do need to let him go to move forward. LFC fans are piling on Nunez right now and rightly so, I think we have to entertain the idea of cutting our losses there too.

My biggest disappointment though is how Klopp's used the squad over the last month, in particular Harvey Elliott. The kid has had a great season and gives everything for the shirt and yet he doesn't seem to be trusted to start games. Whether it's favouritism from Klopp or whatever, there's simply no justification for why Harvey hasn't been used ahead of Jones/Szoboslai, Endo etc.

Niall

International Coach
I think most LFC fans knew it was over after the Palace game tbh. Nothing about that Everton game shocked me, the team has run out of gas.

Lots of work to be done over the summer but I feel first business is getting Mo out the door, irrespective of who the new manager is. Phenomenal player and legend of the club but he's not the player he once was and the goals have masked some really poor performances this season. It feels abit like the Kane saga, it'll be a huge loss on paper but it should galvanize the squad and give others an opportunity. The reality is we do need to let him go to move forward. LFC fans are piling on Nunez right now and rightly so, I think we have to entertain the idea of cutting our losses there too.
Saudi Arabia a lock for Mo this Summer. Everyone is a winner, he gets insane money , they got arguably the most beloved Muslim sportsman in the world for PR while Liverpool get a huge pot of money for a player who may be on the decline albeit slightly.

Skipper Pup

U19 Debutant
Saudi Arabia a lock for Mo this Summer. Everyone is a winner, he gets insane money , they got arguably the most beloved Muslim sportsman in the world for PR while Liverpool get a huge pot of money for a player who may be on the decline albeit slightly.
Yeah makes the most sense, I don't think its a slight decline either - he's fallen off completely since the injury for Egypt. The trend of players who get to this point in a Klopp system is undeniably and in pretty much every instance the decline is irreversible. Just look at Mane and Wijnaldum post-LFC. We squeeze everything out of our players and eventually the miles add up, it's just a shame sometimes that happens while they're still our players (Henderson, Fabinho, Firmino great examples last season)

Obviously Salah's numbers are still great and his legacy is undeniable but this season he was anonymous in large patches even before the injury. He always compensated for his lack of pressing/defensive actions because he's been such a threat going the other way, now he's just hampering our build up and he's not got the pace he once had. Still makes great decisions when he's on the ball but he's lacked composure and his finishing has been off. I tend to think we'll be a more cohesive unit without him and it's only fair for a new manager to start from scratch.

I'm still really optimistic about where this squad is going and it's been a phenomenal season (minus the last month) but there's a few really tough calls that have to be made in the summer. Fully trust Michael Edwards right now to make the right decisions but things could turn very sour for FSG quickly if they aren't careful.

RightArmMystery

U19 Vice-Captain
What a win. DCL was phenomenal, absolutely dominated the two centre halves, best he's looked since Carlo. Another clean sheet from Pickford as well 😎

Molehill

International Captain
Even if Spurs turn over City, still likely both Liverpool and Arsenal drop points in other matches.

Ignoring Spurs who they all play, City have the easiest run in by a long shot.
If Arsenal can win at Spurs I reckon they'll win all their games. The only other tough one should be Man Utd, but they're a shambles and frankly would probably prefer Arsenal to win the title of the 3 in it.

Also, if Arsenal keep on stretching that lead out until City have that game in hand, it makes it much tougher.

We should probably mention VAR again too. If Forest think they've had it tough, then what do Wolves think? Another absolute shocker against them last night, I saw the 'equaliser' without knowing why it was disallowed. I had to read the comments to spot the 'foul' in the build up. For VAR to get involved in that, absolutely stinks.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I suspect they'll be dog turd again, they just have a rich history of thrashing S*uthampton. Second time this season and then of course there was the 9-0 in 2019.
Leeds play Southampton as the last game of the season and if those little poops turn up and fight I swear... :ranting: