• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pre-Season

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Some good fight shown by the boys, just got to find the try line a bit more. Fairly happy with my game, a couple line breaks, but too many handling errors. Nice aggresion shown by Nick, you really got under their skin, and that was a good right hook too. :D

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Angry NRL Clubs Withdraw Players

Following Frank Puletua's jaw being broken by Nick Borcich and Braith Anasta being forced to leave the field with a serious knee injury in Jamie Lyon's invitational XIII's game against the CW Crusaders, several NRL clubs have withdrawn their star players for fear of injury.
Puletua of the Penrith Panthers, Trent Barrett of St George-Illawarra Dragons and Ben Kennedy of the Manly Sea Eagles have been ordered by their clubs to come back to Australia. Anasta will not be able to take any further part in the tournament, either and will miss the start of the NRL season with his injury.
St George-Illawarra's statement was
We are a big club and want to win the premiership this year.Trent Barrett is a key component of our team and we don't want to endanger our changes by risking him in a meaningless tournament.
Penrith's coach, Johnny Lang, had this to say about the situation
Nick Borcich is an animal, and I wouldn't let any of my players play against him.
No replacements have yet been named

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Disappoined with the result & my own performance, but think we're able to take a lot of postive things forward. You often learn more in defeat than in victory.

Disappointed with the NRL's overreaction to Nick's punch. League is a man's game & he's a big-hearted lad who plays on the edge. I think Lang's comment is, frankly, a bit out of order. :-O

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
To be honest I think that the way the Crusaders play the game isn't in the right spirit. Some of their players defend far too aggresively and there are times when playing them that you feel that your health is in serious danger. I was gouged at least 3 times by Sean Bennett and there was often unnecessary contact with my head in the completion of plays especially by their front row.

I hope that the IRL board keep a close eye on their style of play and make sure that any unnecessary play is punished

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Slats4ever said:
To be honest I think that the way the Crusaders play the game isn't in the right spirit. Some of their players defend far too aggresively and there are times when playing them that you feel that your health is in serious danger. I was gouged at least 3 times by Sean Bennett and there was often unnecessary contact with my head in the completion of plays especially by their front row.

I hope that the IRL board keep a close eye on their style of play and make sure that any unnecessary play is punished
I think the scariest thing to come out of the match was Bennett continually trying to pull Jamie Lyon's pants down every time he tackled (or attempted to tackle) him. He also tended to lie on Lyon a fair bit longer than usual than other players when he tackled him.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Slats4ever said:

Has someone being taking lessons from the Simon Woolford school of captaincy. 8-) Man if you can't take a bit of physical contact, go play a pft sport like AFL. It not like you could be any worse. :p

Slats4ever

chaminda_00 said:
Has someone being taking lessons from the Simon Woolford school of captaincy. 8-) Man if you can't take a bit of physical contact, go play a pft sport like AFL. It not like you could be any worse. :p
Talk it up mate. I'm concerned with players safety. If the Crusaders keep carrying on like a bunch of ill disciplined thugs then players will be seriously injured and that's not what we want as a game.

People getting gouged, Players such as Bennett humping the opposition and fights erupting is not what the crowd wants to see or hear about mate.

Crusaders... Build a bridge and get over triyng to be the "tough guys"

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Mate i don't think we are the ones that need to build a bridge. We play tough and hard, if other teams can't take a bit of aggression then thats there problem. Also last time i checked none of your players weren't taking a backward step and had no problems having a swing or giving the odd high tackle. The difference is we not a bunch of cry babies, and start running to the media with ridilcolous statements like " i got got gouped by their front rower." Also if the crowd don't want to see two big boys going toe to toe, why did they have signs saying, "bring back the biff." We at the Crusaders are just giving the crowds what they want, some good out fashion tough football.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
chaminda_00 said:
Mate i don't think we are the ones that need to build a bridge. We play tough and hard, if other teams can't take a bit of aggression then thats there problem. Also last time i checked none of your players weren't taking a backward step and had no problems having a swing or giving the odd high tackle. The difference is we not a bunch of cry babies, and start running to the media with ridilcolous statements like " i got got gouped by their front rower." Also if the crowd don't want to see two big boys going toe to toe, why did they have signs saying, "bring back the biff." We at the Crusaders are just giving the crowds what they want, some good out fashion tough football.
Being tough and fair is one thing, however gouging should not happen in the game. It was disgraceful how openly the Crusaders were doing it. It was pathetic and shoud be looked at closer. I'm more than happy for the crusaders to play a tough game, there should be more of it, and trust me the Scorpions will not take a backward step if provoked. But gouging and encouraging gouging is poor form.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think anyone has ever encouraged gouging and 'if' it did happen then im sure it will be looked at. But I seriously doubt it happened cus its not part of Sean's game or anyone else game at the Crusaders.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Does that thug Borcich have to face the judiciary. I saw the hit on replay on Sports tonight. Ten times worse than Hoppa's in my opinion.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Here Come Dad's Army​

Due to all the Superleague and NRL teams/players being wimps, Jamie Lyon has had to recruit 3 more retired players, along with South Sydney captain Bryan Fletcher and 18 year old Wigan player Lee Jewitt, to replace the NRL players that pulled out.
Ellery Hanley MBE, Steve Renouf and Matthew Johns join the squad that will face the CW Scorpions tomorrow.

When asked why they came at the hastily arranged press conference, Hanley, 34 times capped by Great Britain and currently coaching some crappy Union team, stated his reason as "To show that, even in my mid-forties I'm better than those two ****ing shambles who call themselves top level clubs!"
Scorer of 142 NRL tries, Renouf, on the other hand replied honestly "For the money" whilst Johns said he came because
"I just want to win something Barge A*se hasn't, no matter how um-important."

All 5 could line up tomorrow against the Scorpions, as Nathan Blacklock is a doubt with an ankle injury.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Hanley is going to be in a world of pain tomorrow, his skills will clearly have gone off the ball with his dabbling in yawnian, and if i get off the bench i'll be making sure he's on the receiving end of some massive hits. Jewitt will probably be crying by half time.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I've just realised, every one of them has played for Wigan apart from Fletcher, who is going to play for them next season :wacko:

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Renouf what a hero!!!!
i hope im marking him, although we both wear three meaning we are both right centres, surely he cant have that much pace in his legs anymore :p

KennyD

CW Scorpions v Jamie Lyons Invitational XIII

Code:
CW Scorpions                    Jamie Lyons Invitational XIII
        1  Brendon Goff                 1  Shaun Briscoe
        2  Robertinho Dela Cruz         2  Darren Albert
        3  James Stedman                3  Jamie Lyon (C)
        4  Nathan Hoy (C)               4  Brent Tate
        5  David Kearsley               5  Nathan Blacklock
        6  Matt Currie                  6  Matthew Johns
        7  Kenny Dobson                 7  Chris Thorman
        8  Stephen Burke                8  Danny Ward
        9  Robert Cribb                 9  Micky Higham
        10  Chris Butler                10  FuiFui MoiMoi
        11  Simon Fitzsimmons           11  Bryan Fletcher
        12  Tarick Weber                12  Vinnie Anderson
        13  Darren Murphy               13  Ellery Hanley
   ++Interchange
        14  David Kennett               14  Tommy Martyn
        15  Dave Richards               15  Steve Renouf
        16  Ian Markus                  16  Mark Gleeson
        17  Kyle Wright                 17  Phil Clarke
The Scorpions come into this match with a rather poor showing of discipline against the Crusaders in game 1, and will be looking to turn that around against the slick Jamie Lyon Invitational XIII. The Invitational side immediately began to impose theirselves on the Scorpions, running 60m in their first set of six and nearly scored, had Blacklock not bombed a certain try 5m out from the line by knocking on. From there, both teams moved the ball confidently around the backline, with both sides showing plenty of speed and skill out wide. The first huge hit of the day came from the shoulder of James Stedman, who forced Brent Tate off the field in the 9th minute. A dilly-dallying Matthew Johns threw a floating hospital pass to a stationary Brent Tate who only had time to look up before he was monstered by the 6 foot centre in Stedman. Bouyed by this, the Scorpions crossed 2 mins later when 5/8 Matt Currie found the line after recieving an offload back on the inside off a Nathan Hoy half break. Currie was in again 5mins later on the back of a huge setfor the Scorpions where they went from their 10m line to the oppositions 10m in 5 tackles. Dobson rolled a kick into the ingoal and Currie beat a scrambling Sean Briscoe to touchdown putting the Crusaders 8-0 ahead. Then in the 20th minute the Scorpions were in again as they threatened to absolutely blitz this Jamie Lyon side. A fantastic bust from Kyle Wright allowed the Scorpions to get close the the Invitational XIII line again. A cross kick from Currie this time found Kearsley unmarked on the touchline who scored easily. Dobson landed his first kick for the game from the sideline to put the Scorpions up 14-0. The score remained unhanged until the 37th minute when replacement Phil Clarke crossed for the Jamie Lyon side after quick hands created space. Lyons converted to make the score 14-6 at halftime.

5 mins into the 2nd half and the Scorpios were in again. This time a well worked backline move off a scrum 46m out found captain Hoy some space, who showed great strength as he crashed over the hapless Sean Biscoe to score. The resulting conversion made it 20-6 to the Scorpions. The good work was undone by Ian Markus, who having just come onto the field of play, seemed to take some form of offence against a probing Bryan Fletcher hand in the tackle. Markus immediately clutched himself in protection with one hand, whilst throwing wild punches with the other. The resulting penalty allowed Gleeson to score against flimsy, scrambling Scorpion defence. 20-12. That scoreline remained until fulltime, despite the Jamie Lyn Invitational XIII having most of the possesion in the 2nd half, and recieved more penalties. The defensive effort of the Scorpions was undoubtedly inspirational, led by captain Hoy. Currie had a great game at 5/8, scoring 2 tries and making another, and was duly awarded the 3 points.

CW Scorpions 20 Jamie Lyons Invitational XIII 12

CW Scorpions
Tries: Matt Curie x 2, Nathan Hoy, David Kearsley Goals: Kenny Dobson 2 (5)

Jamie Lyons Invitational XIII
Tries: Phil Clarke, Mark Gleeson Goals: Jamie Lyon 2 ( 3 )

Player of the Match Awards
3 points : Matt Currie (Scorpions)
2 points : Nathan Hoy (Scorpions)
1 point : Kenny Dobson (Scorpions)