• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does Jadeja make your India ATG XI?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great outfielders don't necessarily add much value to test teams. What they need are reliable slip catchers, and Gavaskar/Dravid are more than good enough.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Great outfielders don't necessarily add much value to test teams. What they need are reliable slip catchers, and Gavaskar/Dravid are more than good enough.
Have I managed to bring you around 🫢

But yeah, two is essential but a third is always welcome, Jaiswal will be there soon enough though 👍🏽

OverratedSanity

Have I managed to bring you around 🫢

But yeah, two is essential but a third is always welcome, Jaiswal will be there soon enough though 👍🏽
You haven't, I worded my post very carefully because I knew you would be lurking :ph34r:

I have always maintained having "good enough" slip fielders is important. Anything more than adequate is a bonus. I'm not changing my selections to accommodate great slip fielders.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
You won’t last long with this attitude. Why you have to be aggressive every time?
Yeah, thought it was just me. He's unnecessarily aggressive and hostile and that's something that needs to be curbed. Too much of that attitude with the new posters, this isn't Facebook or the YouTube comment section.

Well mostly..

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
You haven't, I worded my post very carefully because I knew you would be lurking :ph34r:

I have always maintained having "good enough" slip fielders is important. Anything more than adequate is a bonus. I'm not changing my selections to accommodate great slip fielders.
Never suggested you did, as with bowling all-rounders (where good enough is viable as well) I suggest that it be a viable tiebreaker.

But I'll bring you around.

And yes, noted the guarded wording.

OverratedSanity

Never suggested you did, as with bowling all-rounders (where good enough is viable as well) I suggest that it be a viable tiebreaker.

But I'll bring you around.

And yes, noted the guarded wording.
Mate, you aren't turning any Indian fans on this, give it up. We as a collective have realized the massive value of lower order batting in the last 4-5 years. Our success is built around Ashwin/Jadeja/Axar/Shardul all making runs with the bat and rescuing us from collapses.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Mate, you aren't turning any Indian fans on this, give it up. We as a collective have realized the massive value of lower order batting in the last 4-5 years. Our success is built around Ashwin/Jadeja/Axar/Shardul all making runs with the bat and rescuing us from collapses.
Why does it have to be one or the other?

I have never advocated for going one at the expense of the other. You can do both

And the same way you can say that you have noticed the massive value of lower order batting, those from SA, Aus, WI (when we mattered) also witnessed the massive value of great slip fielding as well.

Not everything is one or the next and everything doesn't have to be a fight.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Then he is completely wrong and so are you.
I believe ENG , NZand SA used to produce balanced pitches till 2013/14 ( year May be off )
Aus used to produce balanced pitch till mid 90s .
Nowadays all these countries have become a nightmare for spin bowlers.
RSA mainly just play on 5 grounds.

PE and Durban could be grassy Indian pitches, just with typically a bit more bounce. They offer enough to spinners. 29 wickets in a 2 match series from 2 RSA spinners @around 13 a few series back. Durban in particular is super spin friendly. It used to be known as the green mamba of the country when I started watching.

CPT traditionally gives turn on the last couple of days. Don't know if that's the case now- games are ending in a couple of days.

JHB and PTA have always been graveyards for spinners. Never seen too much turn from either, but I saw Lyon rip the ball possibly more than I've ever seen an offie manage in any country in JHB in 2018 (without being threatening admittedly).

So no. Pitches are not getting harder for spinners. Spinners are playing less of a role in a lot of matches, but that is due to quicks blasting both teams out really fast.

subshakerz

International Coach
Lower order batting is must . Gives confidence to top order batsmen and helps to post good totals even after batting collapse .
The compromise is whether to go with your best bowler, including Kumble, meaning potentially no spot for Jadeja, or more lower order batting and leave Kumble.

Feel kinda sad for cricket pre-Kohli era that only Kapil is good enough to come as a bowler, and he too based on being an all-rounder.

Sunil1z

International Regular
The compromise is whether to go with your best bowler, including Kumble, meaning potentially no spot for Jadeja, or more lower order batting and leave Kumble.

Feel kinda sad for cricket pre-Kohli era that only Kapil is good enough to come as a bowler, and he too based on being an all-rounder.
Why ?
I think even for Pakistan all their bowlers in ATXI must be from 85-95 era and probably nothing from others .
Even WI have most of their bowlers from 80s in ATXI .