• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does Jadeja make your India ATG XI?

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Not even Zimbabwe lol?

He must be denied knighthood for this reason itself.:)
Zaheer averages 35 in India, where he is expected to play atleast half of all the matches..... I always say, winning games is important; but not as important as not losing them.

Majestic

U19 Debutant
As they say, bowlers win you games. The primary role of a fast bowler is to win test matches outside Asia. If a bowler can't do it once in his entire career, he has no business featuring an all time test XI of his country.

In Asia, spinners take the lead role.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
As they say, bowlers win you games. The primary role of a fast bowler is to win test matches outside Asia. If a bowler can't do it once in his entire career, he has no business featuring an all time test XI of his country.

In Asia, spinners take the lead role.
Yeah, but taking back seat doesn't mean averaging 35.... And I can assure you, Zaheer is winning no games away against any ATG line up.

GirthQuake

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yeah, but taking back seat doesn't mean averaging 35.... And I can assure you, Zaheer is winning no games away against any ATG line up.
Zaheer winning matches means Zaheer having a rare good series where others also stepped up and contributed to win. It's not like he was Bumrah in Vizag.

His intellectually dishonest line of reasoning means AUS should not pick Cummins because they lost series at home to India TWICE. It's plain low IQ nonsense.

Majestic

U19 Debutant
I won't have Zaheer in Indian ATG line up either. My only argument is that Srinath and Zaheer are at same level, Srinath is no better than him. Both very good bowlers but far from their country greats. I would have Shami as third pacer in Indian best ever XI lineup alongwith the two obvious names in pace attack.

The suggestion that Ishant is better or even at same level to Zak is ridiculous and low IQ nonsense though. Put Zaheer in that attack of Bumrah and Shami and he would have a career average of 27-28 too.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
I won't have Zaheer in Indian ATG line up either. My only argument is that Srinath and Zaheer are at same level, Srinath is no better than him. Both very good bowlers but far from their country greats. I would have Shami as third pacer in Indian best ever XI lineup alongwith the two obvious names in pace attack.

The suggestion that Ishant is better or even at same level to Zak is ridiculous and low IQ nonsense though. Put Zaheer in that attack of Bumrah and Shami and he would have a career average of 27-28 too.
I don't necessarily disagree on that; but definitely think you are a bit too stern on Ishant. Especially in his last few years, he was a very fine bowler; albeit in a finer company.

Majestic

U19 Debutant
I don't necessarily disagree on that; but definitely think you are a bit too stern on Ishant. Especially in his last few years, he was a very fine bowler; albeit in a finer company.
Ishant didn't had to carry the attack during those last years and that helped him produce good output. During Zak's era, there were a few good bowlers for a small period who ultimately lost the momentum after good 1-2 years. But Zak did carried that attack between 2007-2011 on some really mega flattish tracks, none of which were seen as prominently as in Ishant's peak or even during Srinath's era outside Asia.

The fact that Srinath couldn't win a test match outside Asia in the whole decade of 90s is a huge blemish, no matter how big a fan you are of Srinath. On top of that, the away average of 35 further strengthens this argument. In Asia, you can rely on your spinners and Kapil and Bumrah to do the job but what about outside Asia?? You need your third pacer to get his act right to succeed and win more games outside Asia and that's where Zak flourishes.

PaulLennon

U19 12th Man
Shami is clear no 2 - tied with Kapil whose stats are ruined by playing for too long.

shami should end around ~300 with 26-27 average.

kapil jadeja ashwin shami bumrah can be played everywhere. genuine batting till no 9 this way. in asia maybe replace shami with kumble.

PaulLennon

U19 12th Man
Ishant didn't had to carry the attack during those last years and that helped him produce good output. During Zak's era, there were a few good bowlers for a small period who ultimately lost the momentum after good 1-2 years. But Zak did carried that attack between 2007-2011 on some really mega flattish tracks, none of which were seen as prominently as in Ishant's peak or even during Srinath's era outside Asia.

The fact that Srinath couldn't win a test match outside Asia in the whole decade of 90s is a huge blemish, no matter how big a fan you are of Srinath. On top of that, the away average of 35 further strengthens this argument. In Asia, you can rely on your spinners and Kapil and Bumrah to do the job but what about outside Asia?? You need your third pacer to get his act right to succeed and win more games outside Asia and that's where Zak flourishes.
3rd pacer would be shami. shami will end his career with same number of wickets as zaheer at a lower average. also has a far superior home average and has done well away, barring nz and eng.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year

Amazing how quickly this changed in the past 15 years.

Majestic

U19 Debutant

3rd pacer would be shami. shami will end his career with same number of wickets as zaheer at a lower average. also has a far superior home average and has done well away, barring nz and eng.
I would have Shami too. However, if the conditions are swing/seam friendly and I have the luxury of switching my pacer, I would go with Zak in Eng and NZ. Shami will be there in Aus, SA and WI. I will have three spinners in Asia. Else if you want one name, it will be Shami.

Srinath will sit at home and watch the game with our mate @GirthQuake :D

PaulLennon

U19 12th Man
I would have Shami too. However, if the conditions are swing/seam friendly and I have the luxury of switching my pacer, I would go with Zak in Eng and NZ. Shami will be there in Aus, SA and WI. I will have three spinners in Asia. Else if you want one name, it will be Shami.
Fair enough. Both Shami and Zaheer equal in batting as well.

PaulLennon

U19 12th Man
Amazing how quickly this changed in the past 15 years.
Prediction - By 2050 India will have at least two more gun pacers averaging below 25 and a lot of 25-30 pacers (like Shami, Siraj). Zaheer and Srinath were great but will be pushed down a few notches.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant

Srinath will sit at home and watch the game with our mate @GirthQuake :D
You know what, if you force me to put one of Zaheer or Srinath in my team; I will pick Srinath. But if you ask me to make a 15 man Squad; I will carry Zaheer with me.