• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jacques Kallis vs Kumar Sangakkara ( as Test batsmen )

Who was the greater Test batsman?

• Sangakkara

• Kallis

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cricket Bliss

School Boy/Girl Captain
End of the day though, I expect Kallis to do well at home. Granted he did exceptionally well but I don't see why this point is the clincher given that he faced a mix of attacks at home, and performed to different levels against them.

Posters here are pretending that Kallis consistently faced Donald and Pollock at home or something. He averaged 33 against Australia at home and cashed in mostly against the weaker attacks. Yes, in bowling friendly conditions, to his credit, but not the same thing as Ponting or Tendulkar coming as tourists.
And you pretend as if he only performed well in minnows apart from home conditions…
No South African averaged 58 in India and 83 in Pakistan… even today surviving in sub continent for a South African batsman is difficult , even for SENA batsmen….

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
It's a weird thing to say about a bloke who has 45 test hundreds but Kallis left a lot of runs out on the table ..

Of his 45 Test hundreds only 2 were converted to double hundreds which came at the back end of his career ..

Sangakkara converted 11 of his 38 test tons to 200+ scores ..

I think this is where Sanga edges Kallis , the appetite to score huge runs once in, like really demoralise the opposition, he never really had that in him ..Nice problem to have though !
Ya, Kallis left runs on the table, partly by failing to accelerate when set, particularly early career.

Scoring a double hundred is typically going to be a pretty crappy substitute for 2 hundreds though. The bigger the score, the greater the odds of it being wanker runs. Sanga's doubles were typically against very weak attacks/attacks that were very weak in the conditions, and him scoring a hundred less runs would not have had an impact on result for almost all of them.

Cricket Bliss

School Boy/Girl Captain
End of the day though, I expect Kallis to do well at home. Granted he did exceptionally well but I don't see why this point is the clincher given that he faced a mix of attacks at home, and performed to different levels against them.

Posters here are pretending that Kallis consistently faced Donald and Pollock at home or something. He averaged 33 against Australia at home and cashed in mostly against the weaker attacks. Yes, in bowling friendly conditions, to his credit, but not the same thing as Ponting or Tendulkar coming as tourists.
Kallis averaged 48 in Australia… averaging nearly 50 in Australia against the likes of Warne, McGrath etc is definitely impressive

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Sanga averaged 60, then people would.

Is your position that Ponting's time of retirement wouldn't change his rating at all? It's painfully.obvious his rating went down based on the less productive five career end years.
This is a weak hearted way to argue anything, dont use how some random collection of people would have thought to make your point. Tell us how you would have rated Ponting.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
This is a weak hearted way to argue anything, dont use how some random collection of people would have thought to make your point. Tell us how you would have rated Ponting.
Definitely would have rated Ponting higher, in the top ten, but not as high as Tendulkar personally.

subshakerz

International Coach
Ya, Kallis left runs on the table, partly by failing to accelerate when set, particularly early career.

Scoring a double hundred is typically going to be a pretty crappy substitute for 2 hundreds though. The bigger the score, the greater the odds of it being wanker runs. Sanga's doubles were typically against very weak attacks/attacks that were very weak in the conditions, and him scoring a hundred less runs would not have had an impact on result for almost all of them.
Sorry but this is a bit unfair on Sanga. Yes, plenty of runs against Bangladesh, but his doubles also include a classic in Pakistan against Shoaib, a matchsaving one in UAE against Ajmal, one in NZ too. Contrast that with Kallis who only has two at home against Ind/SL attacks.

Also, Sanga's ratio of hundreds overall is pretty much equal to Kallis I believe. He just was more capable of piling on more which along with his aggression made him a bigger threat frankly

capt_Luffy

International Regular
you would be surprised at how many people do this for Sangakkara and Kallis
I know that people out there do this; but hardly anyone rates them over Tendulkar or Lara. And if someone those, saying their opinion is precious is equivalent to saying Sanjay Manjrekar is an unbiased commentator.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a dumb point even if we assume Ponting was rated on par by people back then. Two decades later, now that we have a full picture of Ponting as a career and hopefully @kyear2 and @subshakerz now agree that he wasn't as good as those two, surely the actual conversation should be that maybe people who rated him on par with Sachin/Lara were incorrect to do so and got a bit carried away. Not reverting back to the 2006 opinion of him as a player which was subsequently proven to be wrong.

subshakerz

International Coach
It's a dumb point even if we assume Ponting was rated on par by people back then. Two decades later, now that we have a full picture of Ponting as a career and hopefully @kyear2 and @subshakerz now agree that he wasn't as good as those two, surely the actual conversation should be that maybe people who rated him on par with Sachin/Lara were incorrect to do so and got a bit carried away. Not reverting back to the 2006 opinion of him as a player which was subsequently proven to be wrong.
Bro, Lara/Tendulkar are better now that their careers are over, but it's not like during the course of a career these opinions are set in stone hence the point of bringing up 2006. I don't begrudge those in 2006 for thinking he was on par anymore than I begrudge those after Ashes 2019 for thinking Smith was the best after Bradman.