• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jacques Kallis vs Kumar Sangakkara ( as Test batsmen )

Who was the greater Test batsman?

• Sangakkara

• Kallis

Results are only viewable after voting.

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Are you basing this on ratings or on watching them?

Ponting was a monster before his decline and somewhat of a a modern day Viv. The dominating bat at no. 3 for the all conquering team.
He really did take attacks apart and there were times he was more dominant than both.
Doesn't matter if he isn't good against spin or swing and can only bash on flat decks and bouncy pitches. I have heard of a time when there were people comparing Ajit Agarkar to Sachin Tendulkar; so no, I value peer ratings but not once before career completion.

subshakerz

International Coach
Doesn't matter if he isn't good against spin or swing and can only bash on flat decks and bouncy pitches. I have heard of a time when there were people comparing Ajit Agarkar to Sachin Tendulkar; so no, I value peer ratings but not once before career completion.
There was a definite perception around 2006 that Ponting had entered the Lara/Tendulkar conversation.

subshakerz

International Coach
Sangakkara retired with an average of 57.4; I don't think their are many who rate him higher than Sachin.
If Sanga averaged 60, then people would.

Is your position that Ponting's time of retirement wouldn't change his rating at all? It's painfully.obvious his rating went down based on the less productive five career end years.

capt_Luffy

International Regular
If Sanga averaged 60, then people would.

Is your position that Ponting's time of retirement wouldn't change his rating at all? It's painfully.obvious his rating went down based on the less productive five career end years.
5 years isn't just, am I right? It's idiotic to overlook that. Also, he averaged 60 or not, my main criticisms of him would had still persisted.

Cricket Bliss

School Boy/Girl Captain
On pure record, neither has a big enough advantage over the other.

Sanga weaker in SA and India, Kallis weaker in Eng and SL. Both gouged on minnows. Both benefitted from the flat pitch era. Both fairly strong against pace and spin. Kallis' home record is very impressive, whereas Sanga has many more double tons.

Sanga was a much more aggressive and intimidating bat, and that is the key advantage.
Kallis extremely impressive in sub continent wickets except Sri Lanka, for SENA batsmen that is definitely a testament for their calibre… saying gouged on minnows is definitely no were near truth

Himannv

International Coach
Haven't we done this terrible comparison a 100 times over? They're both terrible but Kallis is less terrible than Sangakkara by a tiny margin.

If you're going to open threads in this terrible subbie, why not open some less terrible ones that we haven't thought about. Like Junior Murray vs Sherwin Campbell or something that people can learn something from.

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
Instinctively think Sanga is the better batsman but Kallis' statistical record is significantly more impressive to me so I voted for him. Sanga was amazing but his record is inflated by more minnow bashing than any other modern great.
I was a bit disappointed by his record against SENA teams. He has even less hundreds against Aus, Eng, and SA than KW.