• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jacques Kallis vs Kumar Sangakkara ( as Test batsmen )

Who was the greater Test batsman?

• Sangakkara

• Kallis

Results are only viewable after voting.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
If Smith was to play till age 38 and finish on 150 Tests and he would end up averaging 51/52 in all likelihood.

If Smith avgs around 40 over his next 40 tests, he career average would come down to 51 point something. If Smith avgs 45 over the next 40 Tests, his career avg come down to 53 something.

Meanwhile, Ponting's avg after 150 Tests was 54.27

capt_Luffy

International Regular
If Smith was to play till age 38 and finish on 150 Tests and he would end up averaging 51/52 in all likelihood.

If Smith avgs around 40 over his next 40 tests, he career average would come down to 51 point something. If Smith avgs 45 over the next 40 Tests, his career avg come down to 53 something.

Meanwhile, Ponting's avg after 150 Tests was 54.27
As I already stated; even if after 150 Tests Smith averages sub 50, he would be a tier above Ponting by a no brainer.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Average without context here. Smith scored those runs in much tougher pitches, and he actually had ATG series in both India (the best touring one ever) and England (argument for best after Bradman).
I remember the pitches when he was averaging 70+ each year.

Kohli got 692 runs
Smith got 769 runs

So please don't mention pitches. Ever since the pitches have improved in Australia, he's declined. And based on 1-2 away series you have decided to rate him ahead of someone who played 168 Tests?

capt_Luffy

International Regular

Kohli got 692 runs
Smith got 769 runs

So please don't mention pitches. Ever since the pitches have improved in Australia, he's declined. And based on 1-2 away series you have decided to rate him ahead of someone who played 168 Tests?
Now check the stats of the 2017 away series. That was by far some of the worst turners ever. And while you're at it, also for the 2019 one. Australian pitches in Smith's time were still tougher than Ponting's; and let me not mention everywhere else. And then the bowling attacks in the 2000s on top....

subshakerz

International Coach

Kohli got 692 runs
Smith got 769 runs

I think Smith is better than Ponting but Smith absolutely fattened his record on flat home pitches.

Now check the stats of the 2017 away series. That was by far some of the worst turners ever. And while you're at it, also for the 2019 one. Australian pitches in Smith's time were still tougher than Ponting's; and let me not mention everywhere else. And then the bowling attacks in the 2000s on top....
No. Plus Smith faced some pretty dire attacks. Both Ponting and Smith benefitted from this.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Like I said, only idiots who dont watch the game would rate people based on scorecards.
Thing is I didn't follow score cards, or wasn't on forums, I just watched the guy and was in amazement as to what he was doing.

At that time Sachin and Lara were both in the best after Bradman convo and it was apparent that Ponting was going to average more than both. I didn't think he was better, but his record was better than BCL's for sure and I knew how it would be viewed. He just kept scoring runs, well until he didn't of course.

subshakerz

International Coach
Thing is I didn't follow score cards, or wasn't on forums, I just watched the guy and was in amazement as to what he was doing.

At that time Sachin and Lara were both in the best after Bradman convo and it was apparent that Ponting was going to average more than both. I didn't think he was better, but his record was better than BCL's for sure and I knew how it would be viewed. He just kept scoring runs, well until he didn't of course.
Ponting had an aura for sure at the time comparable to Lara and Tendulkar at their peaks.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
And that's widely due to his success away; especially series like 2017 India or 2019 Ashes; which Ponting has none comparable.
Now check the stats of the 2017 away series. That was by far some of the worst turners ever. And while you're at it, also for the 2019 one.
Smith was incredibly lucky in his 2017 India tour. Dropped 5 or 6 times. Survived a few close LBWs. And genuinely played and missed 30+ times during his hundred in 4th Test.

See how his subsequent tour of India in 2023 ended. His highest score was just 38 runs across 4 tests. He couldn't score.

1 great tour followed by 1 absolute miserable tour. balanced out. So let's not overrate individual series. See the whole picture. Bigger the sample size the better.

Last edited: