• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jacques Kallis vs Kumar Sangakkara ( as Test batsmen )

Who was the greater Test batsman?

• Sangakkara

• Kallis

Results are only viewable after voting.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Surprisingly, there's never been a poll which does a straight comparison of them as Test batsmen. So which one was greater, in your mind?

Their performances were very comparable, but I will have to go with Sangakkara, for two reasons. 1) I think his second half career peak was more dominant than any phase of Kallis's career, 2) I think Kallis had somewhat more batting support, especially in the part of his career where he had G. Smith as an opener in front of him. Sanga never had that level of quality supporting him, imo.

subshakerz

International Coach
On pure record, neither has a big enough advantage over the other.

Sanga weaker in SA and India, Kallis weaker in Eng and SL. Both gouged on minnows. Both benefitted from the flat pitch era. Both fairly strong against pace and spin. Kallis' home record is very impressive, whereas Sanga has many more double tons.

Sanga was a much more aggressive and intimidating bat, and that is the key advantage.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Think I had them 12th and 13th at last check - not much between them at all, I’d have to take another look.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Strange how for you this applies to Kallis and not Imran :)

Anyways, it's impressive but lessened based on him not doing as well in England.
Does Imran really have tough home conditions? He knew reverse swing . If you know reverse swing, Asia isn’t hard place to bowl .

subshakerz

International Coach
Does Imran really have tough home conditions? He knew reverse swing . If you know reverse swing, Asia isn’t hard place to bowl .
Yes they are tougher for pacers, regardless of whether he developed skills to counter that.

Low bounce and you still have to wait for the ball to get old. And certain pitches are so flat that reverse even is neutralised. It's not like it's as easy as bowling on SA seaming tracks.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Yes they are tougher for pacers, regardless of whether he developed skills to counter that.

Low bounce and you still have to wait for the ball to get old. And certain pitches are so flat that reverse even is neutralised. It's not like it's as easy as bowling on SA seaming tracks.
I would say I remember more number of bowlers who had success in Asia than number of batsmen who are successful in SA .