• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jacques Kallis vs Kumar Sangakkara ( as Test batsmen )

Who was the greater Test batsman?

• Sangakkara

• Kallis

Results are only viewable after voting.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Strange how for you this applies to Kallis and not Imran :)

Anyways, it's impressive but lessened based on him not doing as well in England.
I. You know fully well why and we would go back into that again. But Kallis's home conditions were tougher than Sangakkara's.

2. Kallis didn't do well in England, Imran didn't do well in Australia or India. What's the point, at this slightly lower level, no one's record is perfect.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Last on mine rankings;
Sangakkara - 17
Kallis - 19
Ponting - 22
Unless my memory is totally washed. I distinctly recall Ponting at intervals challenging Lara and Sachin as the best is the world. And one point eventually was. Just from watching and not dicing into stat guru, can't place those guys ahead of him.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
It's a weird thing to say about a bloke who has 45 test hundreds but Kallis left a lot of runs out on the table ..

Of his 45 Test hundreds only 2 were converted to double hundreds which came at the back end of his career ..

Sangakkara converted 11 of his 38 test tons to 200+ scores ..

I think this is where Sanga edges Kallis , the appetite to score huge runs once in, like really demoralise the opposition, he never really had that in him ..Nice problem to have though !

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Unless my memory is totally washed. I distinctly recall Ponting at intervals challenging Lara and Sachin as the best is the world. And one point eventually was. Just from watching and not dicing into stat guru, can't place those guys ahead of him.
You sure can't. But I can. I have gone on and on about this; but I can't really think Ponting was ever really challenging Sachin or Lara. At their respective off forms and declines he might had been World's no 1 bat; but then again so was Sanga before Smith really emerged. Ponting had no ATG series away and he had problems against both lateral movement and especially spin.

subshakerz

International Coach
I. You know fully well why and we would go back into that again. But Kallis's home conditions were tougher than Sangakkara's.

2. Kallis didn't do well in England, Imran didn't do well in Australia or India. What's the point, at this slightly lower level, no one's record is perfect.
End of the day though, I expect Kallis to do well at home. Granted he did exceptionally well but I don't see why this point is the clincher given that he faced a mix of attacks at home, and performed to different levels against them.

Posters here are pretending that Kallis consistently faced Donald and Pollock at home or something. He averaged 33 against Australia at home and cashed in mostly against the weaker attacks. Yes, in bowling friendly conditions, to his credit, but not the same thing as Ponting or Tendulkar coming as tourists.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
It's a weird thing to say about a bloke who has 45 test hundreds but Kallis left a lot of runs out on the table ..

Of his 45 Test hundreds only 2 were converted to double hundreds which came at the back end of his career ..

Sangakkara converted 11 of his 38 test tons to 200+ scores ..

I think this is where Sanga edges Kallis , the appetite to score huge runs once in, like really demoralise the opposition, he never really had that in him ..Nice problem to have though !
Sanga was just a more dominating batsman in general. Kallis was a buzzkill on his entire lineup.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
End of the day though, I expect Kallis to do well at home. Granted he did exceptionally well but I don't see why this point is the clincher given that he faced a mix of attacks at home, and performed to different levels against them.

Posters here are pretending that Kallis consistently faced Donald and Pollock at home or something. He averaged 33 against Australia at home and cashed in mostly against the weaker attacks. Yes, in bowling friendly conditions, to his credit, but not the same thing as Ponting or Tendulkar coming as tourists.
However unlike Kallis, Sanga wasn’t leagues ahead of his contemporaries at home - see Jayawardene (who was actually better), Samaraweera.

subshakerz

International Coach
However unlike Kallis, Sanga wasn’t leagues ahead of his contemporaries at home - see Jayawardene (who was actually better), Samaraweera.
Yeah because Sanga's home was more batting-friendly wickets where lesser bats could also get excellent figures.

But when posters say 'wow look at Kallis' record in SA' they are pretending as if he was facing SA level attacks or something who he is averaging 56 against. It's an impressive record but not as much as being hyped here.

subshakerz

International Coach
I can remember Sanga ever costing SL games based on him staying in the crease like Kallis. Kallis was often more of a deadweight than an anchor.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year

None of that has anything to do with what I said. His home conditions were more challenging that Sangakkara's. Both of them would have faced various opposition, but said opposition would have been more formidable on SA pitches.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
You sure can't. But I can. I have gone on and on about this; but I can't really think Ponting was ever really challenging Sachin or Lara. At their respective off forms and declines he might had been World's no 1 bat; but then again so was Sanga before Smith really emerged. Ponting had no ATG series away and he had problems against both lateral movement and especially spin.
Are you basing this on ratings or on watching them?

Ponting was a monster before his decline and somewhat of a a modern day Viv. The dominating bat at no. 3 for the all conquering team.
He really did take attacks apart and there were times he was more dominant than both.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Are you basing this on ratings or on watching them?

Ponting was a monster before his decline and somewhat of a a modern day Viv. The dominating bat at no. 3 for the all conquering team.
He really did take attacks apart and there were times he was more dominant than both.
Never thought he was as good as Tendulkar or Lara even at his peak when everyone was making the case tbh.