• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test (The Oval, London) 27-31 July

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I really dislike the whole pecking order system. I understand selection stability, but that's far more a concern for batsmen than it is for bowlers. Bowlers can and should be rotated on form and freshness, not doing was a large part of the loss to India at home and not doing so here might have cost us again. Meanwhile we have talents like Neser who never got a real chance at a career, and Morris who isn't getting the exposure he needs, because they think only four blokes have the right to bowl fast for Australia.
I'm not exactly a Stokes acolyte but you could see the difference in philosophy he took in to the Australians on this - he said something like, "I want to a group of ten fast bowlers ready to go for the series."

I don't think it's a coincidence that England improved as they went along given that. One of their backup bowlers ended up MOTS!

Spark

Global Moderator
I don’t know if our rotations would have been better anyway this series but still bowling Cummins and Starc for 5-6 tests is never going to go well. Also the tactics didn’t help them bowling t20 tactics and short stuff for half your innings. That’s why I thought they bowled well enough tests 1-3 with the field spread a lot of the time but fell off the cliff after

Also I was still waiting for your weather prediction to come true while we was like 7 down yesterday
I did say the radar presentation had improved by about 2pm. Most of the truly nasty stuff had peeled off to the south by then, but in the morning it all looked like it was heading straight for London.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was pretty disappointed to wake up this morning at around 3:30am briefly, check my phone and see we were 9 down & immediately think we had pulled off a miraculous draw, only to look at the commentary and realise the game was still going.

You can't lose 4 for **** all in the middle of an innings and deserve a draw, to be fair.

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
What a load of old bollocks.

We had a load of injuries were as you lost just Lyon.

We were without Leach and Archer for the whole series. We lost Wood for 2 tests, Pope for 3 and Woakes wasn't fir to start the series.

On top of that Stokes could hardly bowl and Mo was significantly handicapped in 2 tests.

When did rain save us - are you talking about today? Yes the rain break came a good time but it hardly saved us.

What about OT - did the rain save us there as well. 😁
The rain saved England on day 4 then that opening stand was happening. had Australia got to play last session the Target would be lot smaller on day 5.

Basically the day 4 rain decided the match because England only won by 49 runs.

Australia still better than England...

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm not serious because I rather Australia win something they have never won before!. Over the ashes which they have won countless times and still holds bad take by you mate.

I can't speak for every Australian only myself and my own order.

ODI World cups
T20 World cups
WTC championships
Ashes
Don't care ..

I value Rather World Cups and Championships over series we have won countless times doesn't make me any less serious at all.

Of course away series test wins are very special but still Take winning WTC over the Ashes. because that’s two years of work not just 6 weeks worth.

WTC 2 Years> Ashes 6 weeks...
You're doing a magnificent job of demonstrating just how much you do really care.

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
Nah. WTC is a novelty. We are not NZ who have no real silverware and have to big things up.
We lost when it matters in the series that matters. Yes! This is a lost series because they went there to win and failed. England showed up many problems in Australian cricket. Their bowling plans worked. Ours failed.
Nice to see Broad have his last batting ball be a 6 and his last bowling ball be a wicket.
You only speak for yourself the Australian players see WTC title as great feat two years hard work.

Ashes you only have to peak for few weeks sorry we going have to agree to disagree.

Don’t get wrong Ashes away win would be on par with anything in cricket.

But personally see both the Ashes and WTC Cycle both very special in different ways.

Ashes for the history and passion, we Australians hasn't won in England in a while.

WTC cycle for long term Consistency teams got to have.

Last edited:

loterry1994

International Debutant
You only speak for yourself the Australian players see WTC title as great feat two years hard.

Ashes you only have to peak for few weeks sorry we going have to agree to disagree.
then why are you full complaining about what happened yesterday result then saying you don’t care as much about the ashes win. Doesn’t go hand in hand

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
then why are you full complaining about what happened yesterday result then saying you don’t care as much about the ashes win. Doesn’t go hand in hand
Because I do Care about the ashes a lot they most important in test cricket In terms of history and players.

Doesn't mean we can't have our own Tournaments/Cycles we prefer..

Ashes and WTC both very important in different ways.

I wanted Australian to win both but it's not end of world mate Australian still had great tour Success.

I just always been World Cup man and that's for all sports Football, cricket Rugby ect ...

Ashes and WTC/ World Cups are all Amazing In different ways Doesn't really need to be order. None is really worse or better which it's only that prefer or like the Most as a fan.

For me it's World Cups and than the rest..

Also not crying just Telling facts..

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
So the end of a wonderful series finishes up with yet more acrimony and bitterness it seems. Both teams had been trying to change balls the whole way through the series (as Cummins pointed out). If Khawaja doesn't want to allow a ball to be changed, try using your bat instead of your head.

However, 4 magical Tests that really could've gone either way. I think I read that there were no Ashes Tests in the 60's and 70's that were won by either fewer runs or wickets than these 4. Ironic that the one Test where it seemed there was a dominant side was the one that ended in a draw.

Just like to thank everyone on here for making it fun to discuss, there's been the odd moment worthy of that I guess!!

Apologies for ****ing off to Turkey for 2 Tests!!

Burgey

Back in the next port and obviously a disappointing end to the series from an Aus POV. Very entertaining series all round though and a terrific way for Broad to be sent off.

Weird series overall. England could have conceivably won 3-1 or Aus by the same margin, so maybe 2-2 is a fair result, even if it’s like kissing your sister. Some of the guns from both sides were patchy tstl, while less heralded fellas like Crawley really stood up for the most part. He batted really well and played some important knocks in a far from high scoring series.

I read Woakes got the CM Medal and initially thought others more worthy, but on reflection his inclusion along with Wood’s was decisive in turning the series, so fair play to him. Happy for Starc to be Aus POTS - he bowled some really important spells and looked a threat more often than not. Banished a few demons from his record I think. Usman arguably a bit hard done by I suppose.

Onto the next series at home in a couple of years and the standard 4 or 5 nil drubbing our way.

The Ashes though. There’s nothing else like it in cricket, or in sport.

Burgey

So the end of a wonderful series finishes up with yet more acrimony and bitterness it seems. Both teams had been trying to change balls the whole way through the series (as Cummins pointed out). If Khawaja doesn't want to allow a ball to be changed, try using your bat instead of your head.

However, 4 magical Tests that really could've gone either way. I think I read that there were no Ashes Tests in the 60's and 70's that were won by either fewer runs or wickets than these 4. Ironic that the one Test where it seemed there was a dominant side was the one that ended in a draw.

Just like to thank everyone on here for making it fun to discuss, there's been the odd moment worthy of that I guess!!

Apologies for ****ing off to Turkey for 2 Tests!!
I don’t think he was pissed off with the ball being changed so much as it being changed for one out of the wrapping paper

Burgey

You only speak for yourself the Australian players see WTC title as great feat two years hard work.

Don’t get wrong Ashes away win would be on par with anything in cricket.

But personally see both the Ashes and WTC Cycle both very special in different ways.

Ashes for the history and passion, we Australians hasn't won in England in a while.

WTC cycle for long term Consistency teams got to have.
Andy, mate. You’re wrong. If you’d rather win the WTC than the Ashes you should have in your citizenship. I would rather lose every other series as long as we hold the Ashes. It matter more than anything. Next these days is India. Then a WC win.