• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test (The Oval, London) 27-31 July

White Ball

State 12th Man
Amusing seeing Michael Vaughan say that Australia are slight favourites after a couple of days ago saying how mentally weak they were and was the worst he'd ever seen them bat.
He also said yesteday that they may have been vindicated for batting that way and it was there plan to take England bowlers legs, when two days ago he said their batting was so negative and playing with fear

nick-o

State 12th Man
I find the timing of the Broad announcement a little weird.

There are legends on both sides that are likely playing their last ever Ashes tests but Stuart goes out and makes it all about him. When interviewed about it he said it's something he's been considering for a few days - so why wait until England are on top in the final test before making it public? It would be interesting to know when exactly he woke up feeling like he didn't want to play anymore. Could it have been weeks ago but he sat on it because of the series score line? Was he going to play on if Australia had gone up 0-3? Was it decided at 2-1 when there was a huge chance the final test would be a decider at 2-2 for a fairy tale ending? We may never know.

Not saying there's anything wrong with what he's doing, the bloke is a legend and can go on his own terms, but it doesn't quite sit right with me. For that reason it would be more than a little funny if Australia snatched victory to send him off in style.
The guy's got his future career to think of; he makes the announcement to the largest audience he can get, on the channel he is going to be commentating for within just a few months, it's sensible advance publicity.

White Ball

State 12th Man
I like Michael Vaughans commentary but I have noticed a lot of English fans don’t like him, two of my English mates said they loved him as a player/captain but hate him since retirement, why is there such ill feeling from English fans to one of their own legends?

loterry1994

International Debutant
Yeah I mentioned this earlier in this thread

Its just interesting looking at this from certain angles and the level of difficulty of the same job seem to vary. For an example, Australia's main goal is winning the Ashes here so a draw is sufficient and batting out a day to draw with 10 in hand seems very doable but then again, if they bat out the day, they will get these runs

Guess we will find out in few hours. Gut feel is that they'll collapse for 280
if they block out early in the day think it’s a stupid move just waiting for a collapse.It’s already been shown this series the only way is to keep the score and run rate ticking. Can’t just let England just bowl whatever they want and not build pressure up like Aus 1st batting innings. Think it’s up to Warner more to keep the score ticking while Uzzy can play however and try bat longer with the rest

I also think they won’t go to spin as much today was surprising they didn’t bowl most the overs with the 4 seamers together and kept rotating between them

Molehill

International Captain
The pitch is dead, England have no real spin option, Wood is seemingly carrying a knock, this should be very straightforward.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
I like Michael Vaughans commentary but I have noticed a lot of English fans don’t like him, two of my English mates said they loved him as a player/captain but hate him since retirement, why is there such ill feeling from English fans to one of their own legends?
Cos he’s a racist right wing gob****e.

To play up his gob****e nature he says ridiculous things and changes his opinion every single day. It‘s like he thinks were stupid, well actually I don’t think he cares cos he’s an arrogant smarmy prick to boot.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
Interesting to see how attacking the fields will be that Stokes sets in pursuit of a win. Things might progress very quickly tomorrow even if a bit of time is lost to rain.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting to see how attacking the fields will be that Stokes sets in pursuit of a win. Things might progress very quickly tomorrow even if a bit of time is lost to rain.
Yeah he reverted to fairly orthodox/ conservative sort of fields late on day five Birmingham. Not a knock on him but it’s just plain logic that if you’re scoring consistently you take away the fielding team’s options.
Aus just has to bat normally through the first part of the day. Barring a collapse there’s no scoreboard pressure on them to do anything different.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cos he’s a racist right wing gob****e.

To play up his gob****e nature he says ridiculous things and changes his opinion every single day. It‘s like he thinks were stupid, well actually I don’t think he cares cos he’s an arrogant smarmy prick to boot.
This.

He used to just be embarrassing but now he is a total tool and the fact the likes of Farage and Moron say he deserves an apology by the BBC says it all.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As others have said, a couple of wickets early and the game changes completely. Depends on what the new ball England were gifted yesterday does and whether the English bowlers have anything left in their legs.