• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WTC v The Ashes

Molehill

International Captain
A question mainly for the Aussies on here.....if you were offered one but had to lose the other, which would you take over the next few months?

Molehill

International Captain
We’ll always take the Ashes. So would England if offered.
True, but is that simply because the WTC hasn't created any form of valuable legacy yet (will it ever I guess is another question)? 4 years ago I'd have taken World Cup over Ashes so England didn't pass up their best opportunity to win it nearly 30 years.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
WTC is totally irrelevant and basically practice for the Ashes

Sri Lanka was going to be our opponent until a few hours ago & they’re barely fc standard

Molehill

International Captain
WTC is totally irrelevant and basically practice for the Ashes

Sri Lanka was going to be our opponent until a few hours ago & they’re barely fc standard
So another question, would Australia even field their strongest bowling attack in the WTC Final for fear of getting injured before the Ashes?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So another question, would Australia even field their strongest bowling attack in the WTC Final for fear of getting injured before the Ashes?
Definitely

Btw, Australian bowlers don’t actually play all that much anyway

As an example, Cummins/Starc/Boland probably won’t bowl before then unless it’s a practice game

Spark

Global Moderator
Of course - it'll be their first red ball cricket in months, it'll be a good warm-up game.

I do find it interesting that the whole thing has been met mostly with deep scepticism here in Australia but it seems to have been much more freely embraced in India. In general I saw a lot of Indian fans taking the WTC qualification here seriously where as down here no one gives a ****.

Molehill

International Captain
Of course - it'll be their first red ball cricket in months, it'll be a good warm-up game.

I do find it interesting that the whole thing has been met mostly with deep scepticism here in Australia but it seems to have been much more freely embraced in India. In general I saw a lot of Indian fans taking the WTC qualification here seriously where as down here no one gives a ****.
Yeah, valid point about not having played at all.

Similar thoughts to the WTC in England, although it might change if we actually qualified for the Final.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Compared to Australia, that's probably true. I think a lot of the casual Indian audience (that mainly watches LoI stuff) holds the WTC in higher regard because of the whole thing about this Indian team failing to win any icc trophies.

Among the test match following audience though, I don't think it's being embraced that much. Most of us here were talking about it because it was a fun situation with 2 test matches going on at the same time. It'd be neat if India won but I don't think most of the Indian fans here would trade some of the big test series wins for the WTC. I'd personally rather have seen India win in SA tbh.

Ali TT

International Debutant
My feeling for the WTC is that it takes alongside the ICC CT as of now. If you win it, that's nice and gives you some immediate bragging rights as a fan, but compared to the ODI WC or a major bilateral series victory, does not provide that long term legacy. I'd even put the WT20 and IPL ahead of it right now.

If it successfully embeds itself we may look back at these earlier competitions with more seriousness but it could also end up being one of those historic curiosities like the RoW tour to England in 1970, the Ashes that wasn't in 79/80 or the ICC World XI v Australia matches in 2005.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
My feeling for the WTC is that it takes alongside the ICC CT as of now. If you win it, that's nice and gives you some immediate bragging rights as a fan, but compared to the ODI WC or a major bilateral series victory, does not provide that long term legacy. I'd even put the WT20 and IPL ahead of it right now.

If it successfully embeds itself we may look back at these earlier competitions with more seriousness but it could also end up being one of those historic curiosities like the RoW tour to England in 1970, the Ashes that wasn't in 79/80 or the ICC World XI v Australia matches in 2005.
Or WSC.

wait for it

Flem274*

123/5
obvious bias in play here but i could literally not give less of a **** about the wt20 or the ipl (lmao) compared to the wtc.

like, a test is actual interesting cricket. what reason do i have to care about the ipl?

the first final was a fantastic game and the next one has two teams capable of making it a great game so i think it will embed itself. it should be a 4 year cycle though, as much like the wt20 it's too much to have a constant world tournament final every other day. you gotta have that build up.

i think it's something the working class nations will care about more initially because the nations born into money get so many 4-5 test high profile series and keep them to themselves while enforcing a financial model that keeps things that way (though the current ICC chief Barclay is a kiwi and committed treason with his views on test and womens cricket, and our government should send him to a Russian hotel).

edit - ahahah i forgot this arsehole described the taliban as "something of a blip." omg this guy is the villain and he loves it.