• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WTC v The Ashes

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah good point about its frequency (and the T20 WC too). Every two years is just too close together. Will come to mean more if they're four years apart.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon WTC should be every 3 years. 4 years is too long as teams may change dramatically and results aren't fresh. All of the 9 teams play each other (India v Pakistan somewhere neutral) in 3+ match series (4 home/away). Extra tests can be arranged including ones with Zim, Afg, and Ire.
Top qualifier goes straight to final. 2 plays 3. If it is a draw 2 goes to final.

3 match final series, and 3 match promotion- relegation between 9th team and winner of Zim, Afg, Ire before next cycle.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon WTC should be every 3 years. 4 years is too long as teams may change dramatically and results aren't fresh. All of the 9 teams play each other (India v Pakistan somewhere neutral) in 3+ match series (4 home/away). Extra tests can be arranged including ones with Zim, Afg, and Ire.
Top qualifier goes straight to final. 2 plays 3. If it is a draw 2 goes to final.

3 match final series, and 3 match promotion- relegation between 9th team and winner of Zim, Afg, Ire before next cycle.
You can only wish. In reality, there is no time to implement what you have said above.

Molehill

International Captain
Yeah good point about its frequency (and the T20 WC too). Every two years is just too close together. Will come to mean more if they're four years apart.
Agreed too. I think that's why the World Cup meant so much to England fans in 2019. It doesn't come along very often and we knew this was our big chance.

Flem274*

123/5

I like this except the 2 v 3 playoff (2 will make a highway for the draw) and the promotion relegation. Relegation could kill tests in a country, either through public perception of being forever hopeless now or through the home board using it as an excuse to double down on all the $$$.

Test status isn't sacred. We understand the context of various records in other sports, so we can do that in cricket. Open it up to whoever wants to play.

Molehill

International Captain
Relegation could kill tests in a country, either through public perception of being forever hopeless now or through the home board using it as an excuse to double down on all the $$$.
When you look at the attendances at Tests in certain countries, it feels like this has already happened. Maybe, having a win at all costs Test to avoid relegation might actually induce spectators to go to matches?

Flem274*

123/5
When you look at the attendances at Tests in certain countries, it feels like this has already happened. Maybe, having a win at all costs Test to avoid relegation might actually induce spectators to go to matches?
Which countries?

This could just be the cricket in my face (NZ and Aus 80% of the daytime) but test crowds are good. India have been good as well when I've watched a session, or at least loud haha.

I've seen **** all of the SA v WI series but SA has bigger issues than test cricket crowds tbh. My understanding is life is getting harder there.

Sunil1z

International Regular
In Asia + SA , majority of the people can’t spend money on both Test and T20 tickets . So they prioritise T20 because it is played in night and is more fun .

If there was no T20, you would see lots of crowd in Test also .

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The Ashes is the third most important contest in sport behind only whatever division TRFC are playing in and the FIFA WC.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
And that for a tournament that calls itself the World Test cricket championship all the test cricket teams in the world actually play in it.

Raz0r6ack

U19 12th Man

I would keep the regular schedule and just take the Top 4 Test Nations over 4 years and have a winners/losers bracket tournament played in England over 2 months:

Round #1
1 vs. 4
2 vs. 3

Round #2
Winner of 1v4 vs. Winner of 2v3 (Winner goes onto final)
Loser of 1v4 vs. Loser of 2v3

Round #3 - Preliminary Final
Loser of winners bracket vs. Winner of losers bracket (Winner goes onto final)

Round #4 - Grand Final (Best of 3 Test Series)
Round 2 Winner vs. Round 3 Winner

8 Tests across 2 months. Both finalists will play around 5 Tests.

Drawn Test matches = higher seed advances/wins.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Spot the classy Aussie.

Did you miss the drawn series you had with them last year?

Guess winning in Sri Lanka isn't for everyone or England in your case.
More like spot the realist as the performances in NZ were completely predictable