• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official - Road to Ashes 2023

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You have been blessed with some incredible talent during the last 35 years and that just is what it is, but aside from that I'd say mental approach has been the biggest difference between the sides during that period?

We've certainly had players with good technique (at least at the start of a series) who have flopped, whereas your guys very rarely have.
I think it's pretty easy for the pressure to quickly become overbearing on an overseas tour, especially if you come into it with a poor record for a few series prior. I'd suspect it doesn't take much for an attitude of 'here we go again' to set in. Particularly these days when there is little time to acclimatise.

I just hope Joe Root continues to get hit in the jatz crackers on regular occasions in Australia because it is hilarious.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Who will be the openers in the Aussie squad? I'm assuming no Warner and that Head will return to number 5 if possible. I have a feeling that Khawaja will be joined by two of Harris, Whiteman and Bancroft.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who will be the openers in the Aussie squad? I'm assuming no Warner and that Head will return to number 5 if possible. I have a feeling that Khawaja will be joined by two of Harris, Whiteman and Bancroft.
Wardy has a couple of games to make something of a run of it, but I think he hasn't had as good a year as he needed to get ont he plane.

Whiteman is a gun. Hope he gets a gig.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I would have picked woakes if Robinson wasn't around, but right now england's gonna most likely play 2 of broad-anderson-robinson+one of wood/archer/stone+ spinner + stokes. Woakes is in that Robinson category and he's fourth choice option there, even with his record in England.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't quite agree with your reasons here. The overhead conditions at Hobart, especially on the first day, were about as close as you'll get to English conditions.

There are a couple of crucial differences. Firstly, English pitches are slower and more variable which could throw his timing off.

The other one is the Dukes Ball. When that was used in the Sheffield Shield (the WI version I believe) it was still swinging in the 40th over and bowlers who rarely swung it much before were hooping it about. Michael Neser's ascendency came during this period. Plus it moves off the seam more. I think that in interaction with the surface determining wear is as important as the overheads.

During 2019, thanks to a combination of less grassy pitches than 2015 and another misguided ECB experiment at reducing the size of the seam, I thought there was conspicuously little swing compared to what I expected, even accounting for Anderson breaking down early.
I thought they were using the 2018 batch of Dukes for the 2019 Ashes?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I honestly do think Anderson willl make a difference in this Ashes. Him not being there and playing a vastly depleted attack first test were major reasons Aussies were so competitive last time, AFAIC.

Brook's side

State Captain
I would have picked woakes if Robinson wasn't around, but right now england's gonna most likely play 2 of broad-anderson-robinson+one of wood/archer/stone+ spinner + stokes. Woakes is in that Robinson category and he's fourth choice option there, even with his record in England.
Not exactly like for like but SCurran might be ahead of Woakes as well.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah seriously doubt that Woakes will get a gig in this series unless there's an injury crisis. And going forward they seem pretty keen on Potts and Mahmood as prospects so Woakes' test career could well be done altogether now

Gob

International Coach
Renshaw will probably be there.
His credibility fell of a cliff here tbh. Its not just he did not made many but how abject he looked. He was certain to be Warner's replacement.

Not sure who should open in England now but certainly should not be Head. Maybe take one of the new guys like Hunt or Street or Ward. Anyone but the likes of Harris/Bancroft for me. Pukovsky was a huge loss

FBU

International Debutant
I think the 6 bowlers will be Anderson, Broad, Robinson, Archer, Wood, Stokes and they won't be rotating bowlers. Last time Broad (5) 23 wickets), Archer (4) 22 wickets, Woakes (4) 10 wickets.

If it is Robinson, Broad, Archer I imagine it will stay that way unless they do a lot of bowling and someone needs a rest or is injured.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the 6 bowlers will be Anderson, Broad, Robinson, Archer, Wood, Stokes and they won't be rotating bowlers. Last time Broad (5) 23 wickets), Archer (4) 22 wickets, Woakes (4) 10 wickets.

If it is Robinson, Broad, Archer I imagine it will stay that way unless they do a lot of bowling and someone needs a rest or is injured.
How will they fit Anderson, Broad, Archer, Leach and Robinson into the same team? Is that on the basis Bairstow comes back into the top six and keeps? Leaves a very long tail

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How will they fit Anderson, Broad, Archer, Leach and Robinson into the same team? Is that on the basis Bairstow comes back into the top six and keeps? Leaves a very long tail
It reads to me like FBU is suggesting Anderson won't play at full strength, which is nuts.

I think they will do a bit of rotating tbh. Would make sense to to rotate Anderson/Broad/Robinson for the opening bowler spots and Archer/Wood for the first change spot, injuries pending. Maybe play all three of the opening bowlers at Headingly.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It reads to me like FBU is suggesting Anderson won't play at full strength, which is nuts.

I think they will do a bit of rotating tbh. Would make sense to to rotate Anderson/Broad/Robinson for the opening bowler spots and Archer/Wood for the first change spot, injuries pending. Maybe play all three of the opening bowlers at Headingly.
Anderson will be rested for the 4th and 5th Tests with us 3-0 up