• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Any reason why animals are decided to be culled?
Sometimes if they're protected it's because they're damaging the environment. Genuinely no idea about the McGrath situation, but for example over here they regularly do 'roo culls because their protected status means their numbers are out of control.

Spark

Global Moderator
Any reason why animals are decided to be culled?
In the US for example hunting is a pretty integral part of ecosystem and population management in many areas. For a lot of grazing animals particularly, if the natural predators have been killed off (which in many areas they unfortunately have been) then humans absolutely have to pick up the slack; otherwise overgrazing will lead to total ecosystem collapse. I actually believe that in some states there's a concern that there's too little hunting going on and it's putting serious pressure on some habitats.

That's very different from trophy hunting though, which is what I believe McGrath engaged in. That's just indefensible.

Daniel CC

School Boy/Girl Captain
A
And there we go. The McGrath is Hitler argument.
Absolutely not what im saying.

Jimmy Saville raised loads of money for charity... doesn't mean other aspects of his life weren't abhorrent.

To avoid confusion... im not saying McGrath is a Nazi or a pedophile.

And apologies for derailing the discussion away from the series.

Spark

Global Moderator
And yeah as Burgey alludes to, it's a thing down here too. There was a population cull - mostly via shooting from helicopters - of kangaroos in the ACT about a decade back now which was very controversial amongst a certain kind of animal rights activist, despite being obviously necessary because the grasslands were on the verge of ecosystem collapse at the time.

Spark

Global Moderator
A

Jimmy Saville raised loads of money for charity... doesn't mean other aspects of his life weren't abhorrent.

How about you stop making the most inflammatory analogies you can come up with which inevitably rile people up hey.

Shady Slim

International Coach
In the US for example hunting is a pretty integral part of ecosystem and population management in many areas. For a lot of grazing animals particularly, if the natural predators have been killed off (which in many areas they unfortunately have been) then humans absolutely have to pick up the slack; otherwise overgrazing will lead to total ecosystem collapse. I actually believe that in some states there's a concern that there's too little hunting going on and it's putting serious pressure on some habitats.

That's very different from trophy hunting though, which is what I believe McGrath engaged in. That's just indefensible.
indefensible, and though we can walk and chew gum at the same time it's always just something i've found hard to get really mad at for some reason

Spark

Global Moderator
indefensible, and though we can walk and chew gum at the same time it's always just something i've found hard to get really mad at for some reason
Yeah I'm the same way tbh. In the broader picture it's very very small fry compared to the much more significant and almost industrial-scale poaching that serves the entire global market of some grandma in rural Vietnam who thinks elephant horn will cure the flu or some **** like that.

i mean if mcgrath wants to go down to the snowy mountains and sort out the brumbies that's one thing
Of all the stupid **** John Barilaro is responsible for, stopping those culls might be the most pointlessly destructive

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Sometimes if they're protected it's because they're damaging the environment. Genuinely no idea about the McGrath situation, but for example over here they regularly do 'roo culls because their protected status means their numbers are out of control.
You need more dingoes

the big bambino

International Captain
A

If you are absolutely not going to say something then you should absolutely not say it. But you say it again but now compare him to Saville. It is clear that Saville used charity as a front for his reputation against the truth of his unseemly character. No one can doubt the motivation and commitment of McGrath to his charity. Neither is he doing anything illegal. Or abhorrent just because you don't like it.

I'm sure you're a good bloke though. Even if your comparisons are abhorrent.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
yeah - spout your nonsense and then eat your ignoramus meat where we have no idea of the cruel ways our corporations get it onto your plate. And if you are vegan, then you are a bigger ****, because you pull limbs off your victims as you eat them alive.

I roll my eyes at dickheads who complain about hunting. Do you know the backstory of those animals? Who got the meats? who got the hides? Were they sustainably harvested and chosen. It's not all black and white as most wankers like to think while they eat half a big mac and then throw the rest in the bin. Most hunters are far more environmentally aware and their hunting is much more sustainable long term.
He may've fed a village as well as providing employment for guides etc.