• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CricketWeb selects the ATG ODI XI

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The XI that's been picked would sweep through every WC with ease.
lol you've got a five and seven who choke for a living at WCs; a bloke whose career sample size at opener is relatively small and who struck in the 70s batting in that position; the other opener failed for a living in finals and your number four averages 22 in finals across eight games since 2009.

Decent bowling line up though.

Sunil1z

International Regular
lol you've got a five and seven who choke for a living at WCs; a bloke whose career sample size at opener is relatively small and who struck in the 70s batting in that position; the other opener failed for a living in finals and your number four averages 22 in finals across eight games since 2009.

Decent bowling line up though.
What you are saying is that Jayawardene was a better ODI cricketer than Bevan because he has a century in WC SF as well as Final .

Last edited:

Sunil1z

International Regular
Who said they were?
You . That is why you said picking only 1 Australian in ODI ATXI is a crime .
Gilchrist is the only Aus cricketer after McGrath who has a chance in ODI ATXI . I rate Bevan extremely highly , but we need to admit the version of ODI cricket that is being played now is much different from what Bevan played in 90s.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Gilchrist is the only Aus cricketer after McGrath who has a chance in ODI ATXI . I rate Bevan extremely highly , but we need to admit the version of ODI cricket that is being played now is much different from what Bevan played in 90s.
So what if it is different? We have to assume that the atg players would have adapted to the change in rules equally well. Else, Jason Roy will be getting into this team ahead of Sachin.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Who cares if it's a different version of the format? That's part of picking an ATG team. You don't just pick guys from modern eras with bigger bats and shorter ropes.

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
Why is there no Aravinda? He singlehandedly won the 1996 final.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Long tail. 3 number 10/11s. Akram is a tail ender in ODIs. Pollock is a bit crap by number 7 standards, even in regular teams, let alone ATG ones.

Garner, Pollock and Mcgrath are awesome. But they are very similar. So much RA FM channel bowling.

Not saying the team is wrong. Every ODI tem is going to have holes., just saying what the holes in this one are.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Long tail. 3 number 10/11s. Akram is a tail ender in ODIs. Pollock is a bit crap by number 7 standards, even in regular teams, let alone ATG ones.

Garner, Pollock and Mcgrath are awesome. But they are very similar. So much RA FM channel bowling.

Not saying the team is wrong. Every ODI tem is going to have holes., just saying what the holes in this one are.
Exactly my points.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Also, Australians know how to win WCs better than everyone. They'd pants this selected XI.

Sunil1z

International Regular
So what if it is different? We have to assume that the atg players would have adapted to the change in rules equally well. Else, Jason Roy will be getting into this team ahead of Sachin.
Jason Roy is as good now as Bevan was in 90s. Never knew that .
Even in 90s Klusener was a better hitter than Bevan . I would prefer Klusener over Bevan in my ODI team if I have to pick one at 6 .

trundler

Garner, Pollock and Mcgrath are awesome. But they are very similar. So much RA FM channel bowling
But they're also just better. I can't split Donald, Ambrose, Waqar, Bond, Hadlee and Starc but the pacers in the first XI just stand out more for one reason or another. Does variety matter that much?

I get the logic behind Watson + Klusener though but it just feels a little underwhelming.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Jason Roy is as good now as Bevan was in 90s. Never knew that .
Even in 90s Klusener was a better hitter than Bevan . I would prefer Klusener over Bevan in my ODI team if I have to pick one at 6 .
This is what you are saying. Not me. Bevan was a finisher in a different way, one adopted later on by Hussey, Dhoni, Morgan etc successfully. Klusenar was a finisher in a different way. I will have both in my team.

Sunil1z

International Regular
5 wins out of 12 starts when no one else has won more than 2 seems pretty undaydreamy to me
And Australia won those WC against above selected ODI ATXI ? What sort of logic is this ?

In last 50 years , IND has W/L ratio of 1 against AUS in Tests . So can I also claim that ATXI of Indian test side of last 50 years will be as good as Australia one of last 50 years ?

Attachments

trundler

My second XI would have 5 Aussies. Gilchrist, Ponting, Symonds, Bevan and Starc. You could swap out Lara and Dhoni for Gilchrist and Bevan and it would be a fairly similar team but the others are distinctly worse than the GOAT contenders in the first XI.