• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CricketWeb selects the ATG ODI XI

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What you are saying is that Jayawardene was a better ODI cricketer than Bevan because he has a century in WC SF as well as Final .
Jayawardene was a clutch ODI player. Lifted in the WC final when it mattered. Bevo wasn't required in either 03 or 07 and red inked it batting seven in 96, so certainly not a failure like many of those selected int his supposed AT line up.

Sunil1z

International Regular
This is what you are saying. Not me. Bevan was a finisher in a different way, one adopted later on by Hussey, Dhoni, Morgan etc successfully. Klusenar was a finisher in a different way. I will have both in my team.
No what I am trying to say is that if Buttler has a good WC in 23 and maintains his form for another 3 years , then I would pick him over Dhoni because he is more attacking batsman than Dhoni.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No what I am trying to say is that if Buttler has a good WC in 23 and maintains his form for another 3 years , then I would pick him over Dhoni because he is more attacking batsman than Dhoni.
I would consider Bairstow for the opening spot if he does the same.

srbhkshk

International Captain
My second XI actually has ~7 aussies, I suppose it's fair to be somewhat annoyed at having like 7-8 players slightly worse than the picked options.

The World cup argument is beyond nonsense though and I do love this great team even more now that I know how triggering it is for the aussies.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The more I think about who I'd really want in my XI to rep me, the more I think Freddie belongs over all the other contenders to be fifth bowler. He seems to have to bat at 5, so I'm chucking Viv to 6 in a wild move that should cause some controversy but would ABSOLUTELY work. Him and Symonds cutting sick at the end. I'm also letting Ponting open in place of Sachin for that elite fielding and for being the most successful WC captain. Come at me.

A. Gilchrist +
R. Ponting *
V. Kohli
AB DeVilliers
A. Flintoff 5
V.Richards
A. Symonds 6
W. Akram 3
S. Warne 4
J. Garner 2
G. McGrath 1

Tons of quality bowling (six frontliners), absolute elite fielding. We'd win

* obviously in reality batting orders don't matter that much and any of the guys listed here from 2-6 could bat anywhere from 2-6

Sunil1z

International Regular
That WC argument makes only sense when the question is “Which country has the strongest ODI ATXI”? And the ans would be Australia followed by WI .
It doesn’t make sense when we are making a hybrid team .

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think ODI game has evolved so much that no single ATG XI would be a fair one, even more so than in tests. I think my first XI I shared in this thread was this -

Sachin
Jayasuriya
Viv
Bevan
AB
MSD (c) (wk)
Klusener
Pollock
Saqlain
Wasim
Bond

So the second XI would be -

Lara
Watson
Virat
Yuvraj
Flintoff
Buttler (c) (wk)
Hussey
Warne
Starc
Waqar
McGrath

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
The more I think about who I'd really want in my XI to rep me, the more I think Freddie belongs over all the other contenders to be fifth bowler. He seems to have to bat at 5, so I'm chucking Viv to 6 in a wild move that should cause some controversy but would ABSOLUTELY work. Him and Symonds cutting sick at the end. I'm also letting Ponting open in place of Sachin for that elite fielding and for being the most successful WC captain. Come at me.

A. Gilchrist +
R. Ponting *
V. Kohli
AB DeVilliers
A. Flintoff 6
V.Richards
A. Symonds 5
W. Akram 3
S. Warne 4
J. Garner 2
G. McGrath 1

Tons of quality bowling (six frontliners), absolute elite fielding. We'd win

* obviously in reality batting orders don't matter that much and any of the guys listed here from 2-6 could bat anywhere from 2-6
Fixed that for you.

• Love
Reactions: Red

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Overall I think the XI picked is really strong. More Aussies than strictly needed, but despite AA's protestations McGrath probably wouldn't hold the team back too much.

Dhoni to captain. Jayasuriya Jadeja for 12th man.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Final XI:

1. Lara
2. Tendulkar
3. Viv
4. Kohli
5. ABD
6. Dhoni
7. Pollock
8. Akram
9. Garner
10. McGrath
11. Murali

Quickest way to fix the side:
Pick Shakib at 5 (need a leftie in the middle order and he is a quality bowler unlike Bevan), move AB to 6, Dhoni to 7, and Pollock to 8. Drop either Akram or Garner (harsh, but needs to be done).

Socerer 01

International Captain
Final XI:

1. Lara
2. Tendulkar
3. Viv
4. Kohli
5. ABD
6. Dhoni
7. Pollock
8. Akram
9. Garner
10. McGrath
11. Murali

Quickest way to fix the side:
Pick Shakib at 5 (need a leftie in the middle order and he is a quality bowler unlike Bevan), move AB to 6, Dhoni to 7, and Pollock to 8. Drop either Akram or Garner (harsh, but needs to be done).
Side needs a fast bowler far more than it needs an extra batsman. The value of pace is pace yaar is underrated