• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CricketWeb selects the ATG ODI XI

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I like Klusener at 7 but I don't like 10 overs out of him and a few part timers. I definitely don't like Jayasuriya opening. If it's Jayasuriya + Dhoni or Gilchrist + Bevan I'm definitely taking the latter. Preferably I'll take a more solid opener over both and give Tendulkar the job of attacking at the start. His strike rate isn't that much lower than Jayasuriya and he had better attacking innings against great bowlers.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I like Klusener at 7 but I don't like 10 overs out of him and a few part timers. I definitely don't like Jayasuriya opening. If it's Jayasuriya + Dhoni or Gilchrist + Bevan I'm definitely taking the latter. Preferably I'll take a more solid opener over both and give Tendulkar the job of attacking at the start. His strike rate isn't that much lower than Jayasuriya and he had better attacking innings against great bowlers.
Bevan over Dhoni will make no sense under any circumstance.

I would rather play Bevan at #4 in my side, sandwiched between Viv and AB.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Cries in White Lightning.
He is an option too but his issues controlling the white new ball are well known, right? Lee will definitely go for a few but also get batsmen out. Peak Waqar is amazing but not so much with the new ball. If pushed, I think I will pick Bond.

Hopefully Bumrah can take this spot in time.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
No, I am saying what my 7-11 would be. The last slot is a toss-up between those 3.
KK. This is a voting thread though. Trying to work within the confines of who has already been picked.

2. Tendulkar
3. Viv
4. Kohli
5. ABD
6. Dhoni
9. Garner
10. McGrath
11. Murali

trundler

He is an option too but his issues controlling the white new ball are well known, right? Lee will definitely go for a few but also get batsmen out. Peak Waqar is amazing but not so much with the new ball. If pushed, I think I will pick Bond.

Hopefully Bumrah can take this spot in time.
If you have Pollock and Garner they'll take the new ball surely. Lee at the death is a liability. The rest are hard to split.

And surely the finisher spot is between Bevan, Hussey, Dhoni and Buttler. Hussey and Buttler have low longevity (so far for the latter) so it's Bevan or Dhoni. Dhoni has a hitting advantage but Bevan tailored his craft to his era perfectly and that's all that matters imo.

trundler

KK. This is a voting thread though. Trying to work within the confines of who has already been picked.

2. Tendulkar
3. Viv
4. Kohli
5. ABD
6. Dhoni
9. Garner
10. McGrath
11. Murali
Lara Pollock Akram looks like the best fit imo. 10 overs of mehness and a mercurial opener are bigger downsides than a meh #7.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Leading run scorers at no 7for seam bowlers:

Chris Harris 2,130
Abdul Razzaq 2,007
Thisara Perera 1,003

Most wickets for seamers bowling 4th - 6th

Harris 183
Razzaq 132
Perera 102

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Harris might narrowly miss out to Cairns or Oram in an all-time NZ team, but he might be the go here. Genius fielder, extremely economical 5th bowler, and handy with the bat.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
He is an option too but his issues controlling the white new ball are well known, right?
I remember this was a thing in mid to late 90s. Donald would always ball first change. But was it really down to skill or his preference? I have never known any other decent bowler to have issues controlling new white ball then why would someone as good as Donald?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I definitely don't want Jaya opening, I'm just trying to figure out what I'll do if I lose that vote (which is now).
#VoteLara to stop Sanath!

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For me, Ponting > Gilchrist > Jayasuriya > Lara for the opening spot.

Lara batted too slowly, relatively.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
I have noticed one strange thing on this forum. When it comes to batting averages, they pay far more seriousness to the overall average in tests for batsmen than they do in ODIs. Not necessarily wrong, but interesting.

Guys with fat averages like Rohit and Amla are summarily dismissed by many posters. I am beginning to see why.
It’s also to do with eras and JAMODIs, and specifically how ODI scores have gone up. Rohit as an opener is averaging almost 60 or something. To compare, the GOAT opener Sachin averaged 45 or so in the 90s.
225 used to be a good score, 275 was excellent.
Now 275 is generally a very achievable score.

subshakerz

International Coach
I am switching my vote back to Lara as he takes the opening spot 10-5 over Jaya. So the lineup is:

1. Lara
2. Tendulkar
3. Viv
4. Kohli
5. ABD
6. Dhoni
9. Garner
10. McGrath
11. Murali

Let us now vote for position no.8 in the lineup.