• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Semi Final | NZ vs Pak | Sydney, 09 Nov 2022

cnerd123

likes this
Nope. Completely different style of gameplay. As much as I've rubbished our lack of plan b in test matches, in ODIs and T20Is I've always felt like there's been quite cool headed calculations to edge past rather than a red hot passion to overwhelm the opposition. A sort of killing them softly approach that just sees the Black Caps close out oppositions in a methodical and professional style. When it works, it doesn't seem too ostentatious. When it doesn't work, the team looks flat and less dynamic. The difference between NZ losing and winning can be quite marginal, whereas other teams can dominate or be blown away.
rearranging deck chairs on the titanic here. There is not one thing NZ could have done differently this game that would have made them win. They were completely outclassed. Santner bowling in the powerplay, Finn showing more caution or fielding better than they did would not have won them the game. The only really key moment was Conway dropping Babar in that first over, and Babar's scored **** all in this tournament anyways, so very likely Pak still rally on to win.

Pakistan just continue to be the wildcard team that can win a game from anywhere and lose a game from anywhere. I mean you say Pakistan are clearly superior and NZ 'struggled' vs Ireland and SL (patently untrue) and yet Pakistan lost to Zimbabwe.
Pakistan are a wildcard, yes, but they dominated for 39.3 overs vs Zim and 38.4 overs vs India before they contrived to lose those games. Since then they've been playing to form and have looked unstoppable. It's worth remembering they were 3rd in the T20I world rankings coming into this WC and a pre-tournament favourite, NZ were 5th and not a lock for the Semis. Both NZ and Pak have won the same number of games in this WC up until the semi final, and you could easily argue NZ's one loss vs England was much worse than Pak's two losses.

NZ absolutely struggled vs Ireland (they were 70/1 in 9 overs before the middle order wobbled) and Sri Lanka (15/3 in 4 overs). They recovered to win those games because they are better than those two teams, but let's not pretend they're a world class unit. KW struggles to score at more than a run a ball against decent bowling attack and he's your best batter. The bowling is overly reliant on new ball swing and scoreboard pressure. There are plenty of holes in this side. Pakistan are just a better team, man for man and overall.

They also literally just beat NZ in 2/3 T20Is before this WC.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Seemed pretty clear to me before the game, and during it, that Pakistan were just the better team overall.

NZ smashed an unimpressive Aus team in the opener, got out classed by England, and struggled to make it past SL and Ireland. Pakistan were dominating both games they lost in the group stages, just panicked in the final over both times. After those losses and a couple of changes to the XI they looked fantastic vs SA and BD.

Pak have been better in T20Is in the past two years as well and already got a few wins vs NZ lately too. I don't think it matters how much NZ 'wanted it'. They just aren't as good a side
I can't remember what's happened over the past two years, but people may be overlooking Pakistan won the (coveted) Banglawash series in Christchurch. On a slowish SCG pitch with massive fan support they were always going to be a tough proposition. They played exceptionally well. Kudos to them and Matt Hayden.

The Black Caps can hold their heads high, any tournament where they beat Australia (generally our bogey side along with Pakistan in big games) is a good tournament. Phillips really announced himself on the world scene, Conway rediscovered the batting form he showed in his first season, Mitchell showed his class under pressure in the semifinal. Allen showed he's close to breaking through at this level.

Hurricane also returned with an incredibly accurate prediction.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
Thanks @jcas0167 quite a bit of the following did transpire except for the nail biting finish. Thought we would make more of a go of the bowling side. My score prediction of 155 was close too. We will be better for the experience.

My forecast on Team NZ's performance broken out by player

1) Finn Allen - will fall cheaply as the occassion will be too much for his experience level
2) Conway - Seems to have been found out by the opposition video analysts (wide outside off stump) Look for 20 off 20 balls and then out.
3) Kane - has the old girl come into form? He will top score for New Zealand and has nerves or steel and always up for a big occassion. 60 off 42 balls.
4) GP - His habit of getting dropped can't continue. Out for a bright and breezy 18 off 10 balls.
5) Mitchell - it will be up to play the T20 game of his life for NZ to win as someone will need to give Kane a stand while scoring quickly themselves.
6) Neesham - Out cross batting one of the Pakistani quicks and caught at deep mid wicket for 6 off 4 balls.
7) Santner - will do everything asked of him at number 7

New Zealand all out for 155 and what will follow will be a low scoring thriller which could go either way.
The above prediction I am most sure of is Finn Allen to not come off. Finals and playoffs are next level cricket of a higher standard than regular round T20 world cup matches.

Everton Seymour

U19 Debutant
Pakistan also have incredible support anywhere they go , the fans played a big part in Pakistan winning made it like a home game ...I think NZ players concentration level wasn't that high which could explain why they were so bad in the field.. Clearly were intimidated by the occasion and I think that's something New Zealand should also look to address .

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
Your prediction for today’s match ?
Thanks for the opportunity to forecast. I know the New Zealand team much better than India and England but here goes

The Toss - England will end up batting first who ever wins the toss.

1) Alex Hales will suffer from a bad case of imposter syndrome in the 3rd over and not commit to a stroke properly and get out. He will feel in his heart he isn't good enough for this occassion
2) Jos Butler - the whole game will rest on him and he will know it so will be forced to play conservatively 50 off 42 balls
The rest of the batsman are money ball selections that are not really in amongst the wolrd's elite players except Stokes who doesn't favour this format.
My theory on finals is that only the very best are good enough on these occassions so it will be up to Jos and Ben will just have to make runs.
England low estimate 160 high estimate 170

What ever the score India will run it down against England's attack that has too many all rounders to be any good. Eg surely they have someone better than Woakes to take poles in T20s.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks @jcas0167 We will be better for the experience.
How? Everyone in that XI except Allen has played in at least one World final at T20, ODI, or test level. They had the experience to win, but needed the 50/50s to go their way (especially in the field - NZ much worse than normal, Pakistan much better than normal).

I expect our side (especially bowling) to be vastly different at the next World T20.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pakistan also have incredible support anywhere they go , the fans played a big part in Pakistan winning made it like a home game ...I think NZ players concentration level wasn't that high which could explain why they were so bad in the field.. Clearly were intimidated by the occasion and I think that's something New Zealand should also look to address .
You'd think they would have addressed it by now. Played a lot of finals recently.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also, @cnerd being a post facto expert is nothing new. If you want to be taken seriously, put your predictions on the line before the game ffs.

ashley bach

International Captain
The support for Pakistan yesterday was phenomenal to say the least. Every direction I went or turned the incredible hulk was in my face.
Would be great to have such a fan base, reckon I saw 10 kiwis and about 30,000 Pakistanis.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I predi
Literally the first prediction of this thread @Burgey
I predicted Pakistan would win the T20 WC in the tri series thread. I'm not going to reply to your lengthy post because I don't think we're going to change each other's mind. Pakistan do have a better t20i team than NZ currently but I don't think NZ is as bad as you've made them out to be or the gulf between the sides be so big, or NZs performances at this world cup as poor as you think.