• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sanath Jaysuria vs David Warner

Himannv

International Coach
Jayasuriya was not very consistent in ODIs, but if it's his day, it's his day. It wouldn't matter who the bowler was, he'd take them on and dictate terms.

I think Warner is a better Test batsman, but I might just pick Sanath for the entertainment value.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
It is much closer than averages suggest.

Warner

1655749373444.png

Jayasuriya

1655749431804.png

Away performance Jayasurita is slightly ahead. Home performances, Warner is an absolute bully. As ODI batters they are roughly equal, However Jayasuriya has produced much more impact innings and has an insanely long career too. Jayasuriya in ODIs is recognized for the whole package. Over 13,000 runs, 323 wickets, one of the best fieldsman of his era, and one of the most successful captains for SL. That is where he becomes one of the greatest ODI players if not the greatest.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Most of Jayasuriya's ODI hundreds have come in away or neutral ground matches. Even his SR is lowest in SR. Our pitches were not conducive to stroke play, and it is a miracle how Arjuna (79), Aravinda (82) and Jayasuriya (91) managed to keep their rates.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Warner definitely the better t20 batsmen, also probably the better all-round t20 cricketer, but not by much. Purely on stat's i'de say warner was the better odi bat, but jayasuriya played in a far harder era and was more clutch in WC knockout games from memory. If stats where adjusted I imagine it would be very close as batsmen, jayasuriya the better all-round odi cricketer. Test is hard to say, Jayasuriya played a fair amount of test's in the 90's and a bit in the 2000's, warner got to play on aussie roads in the early 2010's and a bowler dominated era from 2015 till now. Similiar conditions across there career and warner has an average 6 runs higher, jayasuriya is probably the better all-round test cricketer, but could see that easily being debated.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not particularly close in any format. Both on a similar tier of dickhead from all accounts though

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Not particularly close in any format. Both on a similar tier of dickhead from all accounts though
I love Warner and don't consider him to be a dick though I can understand others thinking of him that way. But why do you consider Sanath to be so? I don't remember any such thing he did during his playing days.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I love Warner and don't consider him to be a dick though I can understand others thinking of him that way. But why do you consider Sanath to be so? I don't remember any such thing he did during his playing days.
Purely what I've gathered from brahs posting on here. Not from his playing days but things he's done since doing whatever administrative job he's been doing

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Warner

View attachment 32122

Jayasuriya

View attachment 32123

Away performance Jayasurita is slightly ahead. Home performances, Warner is an absolute bully. As ODI batters they are roughly equal, However Jayasuriya has produced much more impact innings and has an insanely long career too. Jayasuriya in ODIs is recognized for the whole package. Over 13,000 runs, 323 wickets, one of the best fieldsman of his era, and one of the most successful captains for SL. That is where he becomes one of the greatest ODI players if not the greatest.
It's much closer than averages suggest.

*lists a bunch of averages*

See!

Teja.

Global Moderator
Warner is obviously the better test batsman,

Jayasurya’s ODI SR in the 90s compared to most of his peers, big WC performances and the longevity of his career swing it in ODIs.

Shady Slim

International Coach

Warner

View attachment 32122

Jayasuriya

View attachment 32123

i'm one of the biggest purveyors of the warner is a htb meme but it is just insane that he's a 60 average bat in favourable conditions and literal 26 average bat at the others

Flem274*

123/5
I thought by now CW would have moved past the idea that being equally average across all countries is automatically better than being very good in some and poor in others.
Have you not read the fab 4 stuff? It began in like 2016 with people trying to claim Smith only averaged 60 because he got to bat on easy Australian pitches (he scored away runs before and since but whatever you know logic doesn't apply here).

Shady Slim

International Coach
I thought by now CW would have moved past the idea that being equally average across all countries is automatically better than being very good in some and poor in others.
i think it's more a case of in practice, the delineation between the questions of who is the better cricketer vs who is the more useful cricketer for their team

if warner were to be born in england but was (somehow) the identical and exact same batsman he wouldn't be very useful to his team averaging 26.04 in more than half of his games, but that doesn't somehow render him a worse cricketer than keaton jennings