• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Watching some of those guys I named above as battlers is like watching a low budget Hollywood movie. Good screenplay and plenty of substance but you don't generally remember the star cast or any technical brilliance. Also the movie won't register in the head for too long haha

Ideally only watch it when played for free on TV 1 or released on Blu ray. You'll be hard pressed to buy tickets to go watch.
I'll happily take a couple of ugly forgettable 70s from Mitchell and Blundell right now.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
I'll happily take a couple of ugly forgettable 70s from Mitchell and Blundell right now.
I'm watching as long as Conway is batting. The man can change the course of the match in short time. When he's done I'm done too. I think he's the most reliable batsman going around right now not just for black caps but in the world.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
No disrespect to Darryl but it feels like Gary only picks battlers haha... They do well though. Nicholls, Mitchell, Blundell, Fletcher, Bracewell are all absolute battlers in my opinion. If you saw them bat in the nets you'd generally not pick them beyond domestic cricket.

Gary himself was an absolute battler so knows a thing or two to respect the battlers. They somehow seem to pull off reasonable success beyond they're capable.
Tbf to Blundell and Mitchell, they both hit the ball crisply and are strokemakers on pitches that favour the back-foot more. I don't generally see them as battlers (though Blundell's head space didn't seem great last season, leaving him looking like one). However they both dislike a fuller length around offstump with a bit of movement, don't get far forward, which is exactly what is tested in England.

Mitchell sometimes walks down the wicket when he's struggling against the fuller length - I think it's not a bad idea.

Aritro

International Regular
I didn't watch the last hour or so but the pitch wasn't offering much I thought? How are they 3/38?