• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I dunno about serious consideration, but (aside from the two mentioned in the headline) I'd reckon a good few others could legitimately harbour ambitions for a call up in the current climate.

Compton, obviously, but also Gubbins, Haines, Porter and even Patterson-White, who fits our preferred template of spinner in that he bats a bit.

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
Still none the wiser about Gibbon or Blatherwick. Were the counties reluctant to release any experienced bowlers for this game for fear of injury?

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
It clashes with the Blast so the Counties didn't want to release players who would make their T20 side.
Yes it's actually one of the more joined up pieces of thinking by the ecb. Gives good opportunities to guys doing well in fc cricket or highly rated - that aren't in consideration for their counties T20 sides.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes it's actually one of the more joined up pieces of thinking by the ecb. Gives good opportunities to guys doing well in fc cricket or highly rated - that aren't in consideration for their counties T20 sides.
Yeah, Seems pointless taking the likes of Abell and Haynes from playing proper competitive cricket.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Bizarre interview with the coach on 5Live this evening. I know he wants to exude positivity, but saying we have a batting line up not too far away from being world class is rather over doing it.

tooextracool

International Coach
As would Jos Buttler. Not particularly shocking that someone with close to zero knowledge of county cricket would talk up players who have made a name on the international t20 circuit

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
maybe they're opening with root and stokes and then the bowlers from 3 onwards.
I mean TBH root is gun as gun get's, bairstow is making runs and stokes has been pretty ****ing good with the bat over the past few years. If pope finds a way to convert his county form to the international stage and show half the promise he did vs SA a few years back the lineup would be bordering on world class.