• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in New Zealand 2022

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Again, his batting is woeful but Southee is an incredibly skilful bowler. Hadlee was better, but Southee might be next in terms of the most outstanding bowler who does just enough to find edges. Not a guy who bends it round corners like Anderson but just finds a way to move it in the air or off the deck half a bat length. Brilliant

ashley bach

International Captain
As opposed to Southee? His batting is pathetic. I love the guy as a bowler but what he is offering after 14 years of Test cricket is honestly ****. It's mud. And he doesn't seem to care and I don't know why. Contrast with someone like Stuart Broad who got hit very badly and suffered as a result - Southee never had that, but just has no desire to play proper innings.

Henry and Southee should hang their heads with their dismissals. Wagner i can handle. But there's a guy on 120 and hitting it that will, and it's just irresponsible with a series on the line
can't help but feel if Tim had failed in his first test innings, he would have made it to 11 at some stage.
such a fluke that 1st innings of his and it's been an illusion for the batting order ever since.

Flem274*

123/5
Jamieson has been bowling like a FC battler all home summer, so that's two bowlers who have fallen off under Jurgenson's tenure.

He does have Matt Henry's improvement to his credit.

ashley bach

International Captain
I don't think Conway is truly an opener either. I think our ideal batting order is a massive risk to our bowling though thanks to the declines of Boult, Jamieson and Wagner.

Latham
Ravindra
Williamson
Conway
Young
Nicholls
Keeper
Flem what's your reason for thinking Conway isn't truly an opener?
as Steve pointed out he got 200 on debut so just wandering why you think he's not made for the job.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Couple of wickets before South Africa gets to 100 and that'll make it a very interesting game. Otherwise it'll get out of hand for us. Bavuma is the key, he tends to score fairly quickly.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Flem what's your reason for thinking Conway isn't truly an opener?
as Steve pointed out he got 200 on debut so just wandering why you think he's not made for the job.
I think what Flem might be saying is that Conway is a more natural 3, which is fair given he's played most of his cricket there.

But I like to look at comparative v absolute advantage when it comes to sports teams. Absolute advantage wise, Conway is most likely a better 3. He'll score more runs there overall as compared to opening. But comparative advantage wise for NZ, if you look at the total output of him opening and Young batting 3, that's very likely the better fit. Conway is much better technically. You'd back him in at 0-0, 0-1, ball doing a bit, something with bounce etc. Young, you're going to want it to be flat as a biscuit if he's going to score runs opening. At 3, coming in at 60-1, you'd be comfortable enough. And even better, he bats 4 when Kane is back.

Mike5181

International Captain
Our pace bowlers getting through 133 overs (vs. 64 for the South Africans) in the first innings, and having no spin option is going to hurt as this game goes on.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Scratchy Bavuma with one hundred only in his test career & van der Dussen hopping around like a cat on a hot tin roof....this is where a bit of pace to blast them out would be handy.