• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in New Zealand 2022

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Forecast looks dodgy for the weekend. Remember last tour I had a video up of a traffic cam in Hamilton with it pissing down. Good times.
Not really. Metservice forecasts some rain on the afternoon of day 3, and maybe a few showers early on day 4, but otherwise fine for the game. If it holds true I can't see it affecting the result.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Not a bad day, just watched the highlights. That late dismissal of Conway sours things though, our middle-order doesn't look a whole lot sturdier than SA's.

Well done Henry. bowled with excellent pace and accuracy, the kinda performance that makes you wonder how the **** he averaged 46.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rewatched some of those wickets. JFC.

Markram, Bavuma and Hamza should be shot.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well done Henry. bowled with excellent pace and accuracy, the kinda performance that makes you wonder how the **** he averaged 46.
Dropped from a terrible 46, to a very poor 39 after that great spell.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
Glad to see Henry doing well. Always thought he had a nice clean action and should have done much better at Tests than he has.
I disagree or at least don't share this view. That said I am a batsman by trade and you a good bowler so take my counter view with a grain of salt.
I only watched the highlights so also don't have much weight to my argument so feel free to write me off.
Matt Henry has not always had a good action. He used to from 2015-2020 bowl along the wicket and get pretty average to less than average carry from a height perspective through to the keeper. I was watching carefully on youtube his action today and the follow through was markedly different today than that previous period of middling achievements. His delivery action is identical. But his follow through today was more languid, free flowing, considerably faster, and more powerful. He looked palpably like a quicker bowler today than previous editions of Matt Henry although again I didn't see his speed gun ratings to back this conclusion up. He seemed to be hitting the deck a lot harder and he got ten times better carry through to the keeper than he used to although maybe this was a bouncy pitch.

I wrote Matt Henry off in the circa 2016 England Tour when he couldn't take wickets. If you are a seam up bowler and you can't take wickets in jolly old where it hoops it around corners then there is no hope for you. What got in the way of a few poles in England that tour was his carry and can distinctly remember him earning the edge of Alstair Cook's bat when Cook was on 7 runs only for it not to carry to keeper (it bounced before the keeper his carry was so poor). Cook got a ton and it did us in. I whined at the time about it and pointed the finger at Henry and SteveNZ told me it probably was a cross seamer that hit the flat and didn't carry as a result. But I never bought that argument as all series long he got middling carry.

I realise this post was unneccessarily long and based on scant information. But it is the Internet and I want to have my say.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
All that being said he's got the best arse in cricket
This is important.

We know what we're getting with Matt Henry - he's a bowler that is effective only in a very narrow set of environments. He needs grass cover in order to produce bounce and carry, given he bowls a flat length when there's not, and enough in the air that it wobbles a bit...or a white ball, but by god not between overs 35-50. Trouble is, given he's a Cantabrian, Stead might be keen to play him more when Boult/Wagner/Southee move on.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is important.

We know what we're getting with Matt Henry - he's a bowler that is effective only in a very narrow set of environments. He needs grass cover in order to produce bounce and carry, given he bowls a flat length when there's not, and enough in the air that it wobbles a bit...or a white ball, but by god not between overs 35-50. Trouble is, given he's a Cantabrian, Stead might be keen to play him more when Boult/Wagner/Southee move on.
Haris Rauf, Lungi Ngidi, Shannon Gabriel and Lahiru Kumara have majestic behinds.

Bahseph

State Captain
Just caught up with some highlights. Truly pathetic batting,but some of the shots were not out of character to be honest. Over to the bowlers to keep SA in the game again. Tough ask,especially with all the catches shelled.