• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in New Zealand 2022

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Just on SA team selection I hate we dropped Maharaj (again). And still not playing Mulder is now getting ridiculous. Also this must be Markrams last series to do something. To many other good batsmen in SA need a chance.
What about Ngidi? Why isn't he playing?

Yeah Mulder would have been very good on this track.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
What about Ngidi? Why isn't he playing?

Yeah Mulder would have been very good on this track.
Ngidi had a back strain apparently hence Stuurman playing.

And Mulder I want playing as the batting all rounder, 5th bowling option. He needs the game time to show his worth.

nzfan

I'm not sure about this short stuff to Nicholls when there's like 2 overs to go for the day. A slip and a gully, field spread.

Definitely not the best cricket I've seen South Africa play in NZ. Pretty undercooked in all departments.

Guess the hard MIQ worked in our favor.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Just on SA team selection I hate we dropped Maharaj (again).
His playing the entire India series seemed to be an indication that they'd always go in with a spinner, even on notoriously spin-unfriendly pitches. So I don't get why they've done a turnaround now.

Athlai

Not Terrible
His playing the entire India series seemed to be an indication that they'd always go in with a spinner, even on notoriously spin-unfriendly pitches. So I don't get why they've done a turnaround now.
Yeah, don't play a spinner here lol

Athlai

Not Terrible
If Nicholls had gotten out instead of Conway then the umpires would have been the only Kiwis on the field
Such a brutal nationalist. If they decide they want to be a kiwi, then they're a kiwi.

Well the bowlers anyway. Their bats can stay Saffas

Moss

Quite the dream day for NZ, sort of a familiar template when playing at home but wouldn't have picked Henry to do the damage. Happy for him, he's had his days of hard luck in tests but today it all seemed to fall into place.

Great position to be in though with NZ's three best batsmen gone and the rest of the batting either unproven or flaky, South Africa aren't totally out of it. Lead of 200 should be the aim.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, don't play a spinner here lol
This is the limited thinking that needs to be gotten past. Maharaj has both in NZ and in Aus changed games with his spells. Not because of the pitch but because of the opposition. NZ and Aus players face good quality pace all the time, proper decent wiley spinners that they feel they must tonk of the boundary, not so much. Thus he creates opportunity and a change in pace from a bowling perspective when needed. And if you play Mulder you still end up with 4 decent fast bowlers. Its just a more balanced team overall.

Athlai

Not Terrible
This is the limited thinking that needs to be gotten past. Maharaj has both in NZ and in Aus changed games with his spells. Not because of the pitch but because of the opposition. NZ and Aus players face good quality pace all the time, proper decent wiley spinners that they feel they must tonk of the boundary, not so much. Thus he creates opportunity and a change in pace from a bowling perspective when needed. And if you play Mulder you still end up with 4 decent fast bowlers. Its just a more balanced team overall.
Spinners average 64 at Hagley Oval.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Spinners average 64 at Hagley Oval.
I don't care about the avg I care about what he brings to the pace of the game and the opposition. He did well in NZ last time, at different venues, but those pitches where not turning square. It was his other skills and the opposition that got him the wickets. If he takes one wicket in 15 overs, but causes a bit of uncertainty such that it gets the pacers a wicket on the other end then he has done his job.