• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2021-22

anil1405

International Captain
Need Elgar minimum, otherwise what a disaster of a day for endia. Starting with the toss.
Literally you are the only one blaming India for choosing to bat. None of the pundits have said this either.

It was a case of India ****ting themselves and RSA bowling really well. And the decision to bat first wasn't a mistake on a wicket that was the slowest of the three pitches.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Playing 5 bowlers is for me still a sign of not knowing who you best three seamers are. SA is a good example, they want to play Jansen, but also want to play Olivier and can't make a decision between the two so Mulder loses out. It is not a case of making a best decision but rather not wanting to make a decision at all.

I have no idea what SA will do when Nortje comes back.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Playing 5 bowlers is for me still a sign of not knowing who you best three seamers are. SA is a good example, they want to play Jansen, but also want to play Olivier and can't make a decision between the two so Mulder loses out. It is not a case of making a best decision but rather not wanting to make a decision at all.

I have no idea what SA will do when Nortje comes back.
Surely Jansen is undroppable now.

centurymaker

International Captain
Literally you are the only one blaming India for choosing to bat. None of the pundits have said this either.

It was a case of India ****ting themselves and RSA bowling really well. And the decision to bat first wasn't a mistake on a wicket that was the slowest of the three pitches.
Because they are not uttering anything outside of their 'limited and predictable rhetoric'

India's strength is their BOWLING so why not take a big advantage by bowling on a grassy pitch with overcast conditions. And why put an already under pressure Indian batting line under even more pressure by getting them to bat then? And Pitch might flatten out now so India has conceded a massive advantage to South Africa. They might post 280-300+.

Remember what England did at the Gabba?? It was a grassy pitch in same overcast conditions. And England chose to bat and got rolled over and never recovered. 9 times out of 10 you bat first but there's that one time you gotta bowl first, today and that gabba game was that ONE time!

cnerd123

likes this
It would be weird if they loved it to be fair
idk, maybe it makes them feel kinda alpha. Maybe they're talking smack to Rahane and Pujara in the dressing room. 'Time for us to rescue your asses again. Go fetch my shoes while I stretch. And a cup of chai too.'

RE: batting first - pitch was fine to bat first. Bit of lateral movement but not crazy amounts. SA just bowled in the right areas consistently and our batters were found lacking. Most of them got pretty decent balls too, hardly unplayable but definitely tough balls to negotiate, especially for batters low on confidence and form. Hard to say bowling first would have been better - maybe we blow through SA, but maybe we don't and we get the same sort of batting performance in the 2nd innings and find ourselves with a large 4th innings chase to win.

Much rather be defending ~200 again rather than chasing that much.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't know if we have a batsman in the wings that can be a difference-maker in foreign conditions. Besides, all our successes abroad have come with the five bowlers theory. It works but it also means you have to endure a fair amount of frustration before the payoff.
They don't need a 'difference-maker'. Right now the criteria they have to beat is an average of 25. If there is no one in India who can average more than 25, then there's something massively wrong with the system.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They don't need a 'difference-maker'. Right now the criteria they have to beat is an average of 25. If there is no one in India who can average more than 25, then there's something massively wrong with the system.
Exactly. Even a mildly above average batsman will do, and were out here looking for some hypothetical atg to save us. Just give some of the others on the outside a go for a while.

centurymaker

International Captain
idk, maybe it makes them feel kinda alpha. Maybe they're talking smack to Rahane and Pujara in the dressing room. 'Time for us to rescue your asses again. Go fetch my shoes while I stretch. And a cup of chai too.'

RE: batting first - pitch was fine to bat first. Bit of lateral movement but not crazy amounts. SA just bowled in the right areas consistently and our batters were found lacking. Most of them got pretty decent balls too, hardly unplayable but definitely tough balls to negotiate, especially for batters low on confidence and form. Hard to say bowling first would have been better - maybe we blow through SA, but maybe we don't and we get the same sort of batting performance in the 2nd innings and find ourselves with a large 4th innings chase to win.

Much rather be defending ~200 again rather than chasing that much.
I am honestly starting to think Indian bowling is significantly overrated.