• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Test at Adelaide - 16 to 20 Dec

Spark

Global Moderator
Stokes, probably as a batsman who can occasionally send down a few overs rather than a genuine all-rounder.

I would imagine that Root and Stokes will be discussing it sooner rather than later.
I think they reaaaally want it to be Buttler. But he has to actually start scoring runs (and moving his feet when keeping) for that to be a remotely viable option.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I think they reaaaally want it to be Buttler. But he has to actually start scoring runs (and moving his feet when keeping) for that to be a remotely viable option.
And you may be right. fwiw Foakes was captaining Surrey in Burns' absence, maybe in 2019 & 2020. Possibly a Tim Paine style selection in the offing?

Shri

Mr. Glass
You must be taking the piss mate. Did you want the two most recent series between them in Australia?

pakistan last won a test match in australia back in 1995/96

Gob

International Coach
agree. thats pretty much it overall. india and new zealand a class above anyone at the moment though. got the best batters and bowlers . new zealand pace attack is the best in modern cricket.
New Zealand class above Australia my ass

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But yeah I haven't seem him bowl that nasty outswinger he used to have since coming back into the side either. Whether that's some modification to his release or whether it's just the Kookaburra being a Kookaburra, I don't know.
Well the ball didn't swing for Australian bowler except a little bit of inswing for Neser, but his arm is generally a little tilted past vertical now which makes it harder. He was achieving the correct seam position in a few replays I saw. In the BBL last year he was getting the outswinger fine but had trouble with the inswinger, which tended to come out quite a bit slower.

Flem274*

123/5
New Zealand class above Australia my ass
true, australia's last overseas test series victory was against us i believe. 6 years ago. it's a shame the mental block holds nz back from being as competitve as they are elsewhere, could have had some great trans-tasman series. not to be.
nz are basically good in england and at home

way overrated @Flem274*
unfortunately you can't bait half as well as some of the other goons because you can't show a facade of true believer.

im genuinely interested in how the rematch at the MCG in 2023 will go. india have obviously conquered Australian conditions for now, but NZ are currently a very awkward match up for them outside asia (rich in tall outswing bowlers and batsmen who much prefer tallish 135-140kph bowlers to fast turn or 150kph+).

Flem274*

123/5
Teams sit in 4 tiers at the moment

Top tier
India
NZ
Australia

2nd tier
Pakistan
England
South Africa

3rd tier
Windies
Sri Lanka
Bangladesh

Bottom tier
Zimbabwe
Afghanistan
Ireland
I don't think you can really rank teams too much atm given cricket is so match up focused right now.

Australia are a case in point. Powerful in pacey and bouncey conditions (so home, South Africa, selected NZ grounds like Hagley Oval) but honestly would risk tripping over Bangladesh in Bangladesh if Australia ever toured and the main Bangladeshi players decided they wanted to play.

Australia v India gets a lot of headlines but the funniest match up is Australia and Pakistan, because neither side looks close to winning in the others backyard.

I think you can broadly put NZ, India, Australia and Pakistan in one group with England and SA in the mid-table with Sri Lanka, West Indies and Bangers not holding much hope but even then those lower tier nations can go full meme ala SL in SA.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
To be honest, I think Steyn and now Cummins have shown that long term, you don't actually need to be that quick to be a top class test bowler. Both of them slowed down as they matured into their careers.

But yeah I haven't seem him bowl that nasty outswinger he used to have since coming back into the side either. Whether that's some modification to his release or whether it's just the Kookaburra being a Kookaburra, I don't know.

I tried to watch him pretty carefully in the field re: his throwing whenever he was made to. It wasn't a great throw, but I've seen worse. It's definitely come back a long way compared to last season where he was basically bowling it in from fine leg.
I mean obviously pace isn't that important but jhye was bowling under 130 for a fair bit, Cummins usually hovers between 135 and 140.

Gob

International Coach
true, australia's last overseas test series victory was against us i believe. 6 years ago. it's a shame the mental block holds nz back from being as competitve as they are elsewhere, could have had some great trans-tasman series. not to be.

unfortunately you can't bait half as well as some of the other goons because you can't show a facade of true believer.

im genuinely interested in how the rematch at the MCG in 2023 will go. india have obviously conquered Australian conditions for now, but NZ are currently a very awkward match up for them outside asia (rich in tall outswing bowlers and batsmen who much prefer tallish 135-140kph bowlers to fast turn or 150kph+).
Think Aus has won 10 out of their last 12 games vs NZ with a solitary draw and a meme Bracewell spell loss. More worrying thing is that Jamieson aside, most of the core NZ players who brought them to the top of the rankings were part of it.
But there is no doubt Aust has mostly sucked balls away from home or even at home. Losing in SL 3 zip **** me that is terrible. Let's see what they can do next year to change things around. They definitely have the players to do it

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think you can really rank teams too much atm given cricket is so match up focused right now.

Australia are a case in point. Powerful in pacey and bouncey conditions (so home, South Africa, selected NZ grounds like Hagley Oval) but honestly would risk tripping over Bangladesh in Bangladesh if Australia ever toured and the main Bangladeshi players decided they wanted to play.

Australia v India gets a lot of headlines but the funniest match up is Australia and Pakistan, because neither side looks close to winning in the others backyard.

I think you can broadly put NZ, India, Australia and Pakistan in one group with England and SA in the mid-table with Sri Lanka, West Indies and Bangers not holding much hope but even then those lower tier nations can go full meme ala SL in SA.
We played a full strength Bangladesh with a lineup including handcomb and Maxwell s d Smith making **** all runs and still drew, current Aus side would smash Bangla at home.

Gob

International Coach

Sri Lanka has put together a decent batting line up I think. Probably better than England if not for Joshua Root

Number 11

State 12th Man
Labu hasn’t played a sub-continent test since he turned the corner. It remains to be seen but I back him to perform pretty well vs the spinners in those conditions

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah Bangladesh aren’t exactly at their best right now, a few years ago they were very difficult to beat at home but that phase has gone. As for SL, I mean, they lost at home to this England side…

Obviously the big big test for a lot of these newer players is Pakistan in Pakistan and then India.

Gob

International Coach
We played a full strength Bangladesh with a lineup including handcomb and Maxwell s d Smith making **** all runs and still drew, current Aus side would smash Bangla at home.
Warner played brilliantly though. I know he'll never get the credit he deserves cos its Bangladesh but his ton in the first test chasing was brilliant. It was turning square and the noted drama queen shaki Bull was landing them to the rough