• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dennis Lillee vs Imran Khan

Who was the greater bowler?

• Dennis Lillee

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Imran Khan

Votes: 17 58.6%

• Total voters

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
A bit unfair to compare an ATG all rounder and an ATG fast bowler.

For sheer impact on the game and setting new standards in fast bowling I lean towards DKL.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
A bit unfair to compare an ATG all rounder and an ATG fast bowler.

For sheer impact on the game and setting new standards in fast bowling I lean towards DKL.
Well I mean he clearly says in the title purely as bowlers. Imran’s batting and captaincy shouldn’t factor at all.

Kirkut

International Regular
Imran Khan, got wickets everywhere although he went super saiyan in the subcontinent.

Lillee was super saiyan on seamer friendly wickets but cannot say the same on slow abrasive subcontinental wickets.

Kirkut

International Regular
But then the sample size for Lillee's performance in the subcontinent is too small to warrant him to be a "seaming track bully". Hard to come at a conclusion as to who's better.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I think Marshall and McGrath are the best quicks of all time, but I still think DK is the greatest

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lillee tends to get credit for being the prototype for modern great fast bowlers. Why doesn't Fred Trueman get same credit? He was fiery and aggressive and had stats that would satisfy any modern benchmark (avg, SR, wpm, longevity all very impressive)
Older era when there was less telly coverage and image wasn't as influential. Lillee was the first tv celebrity fast bowler.

Aritro

International Regular
Lillee tends to get credit for being the prototype for modern great fast bowlers. Why doesn't Fred Trueman get same credit? He was fiery and aggressive and had stats that would satisfy any modern benchmark (avg, SR, wpm, longevity all very impressive)
Yeah the guy flies massively under the radar these days.

Slifer

International Captain
Yeah the guy flies massively under the radar these days.
Probably because of the disparity between his home and away stats relative to other ATGs. I'm not saying I support that pov. Just an observation. But imo he is most definitely an ATG.

Nikhil99.94

School Boy/Girl Captain
Lillee tends to get credit for being the prototype for modern great fast bowlers. ((Why doesn't Fred Trueman get same credit?)) He was fiery and aggressive and had stats that would satisfy any modern benchmark (avg, SR, wpm, longevity all very impressive)
Lindwall was probably better than trueman,larwood is the one after whom most judge fast bowlers by,had better bouncer than Marshall+was unquestionably one of the fastest of all time and is still one of the immortal fast bowlers to have ever lived.Larwood still has higher aura/reputation than any fast bowler ,till dk lillee era.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
But then the sample size for Lillee's performance in the subcontinent is too small to warrant him to be a "seaming track bully". Hard to come at a conclusion as to who's better.
Lillee is still unproven on the subcontinent and WI versus Imran who was proven successful in both.

subshakerz

International Coach
Lillee and Roberts popularized fast bowling in the 70s but I would argue Imran as a bowler had more direct impact when it comes to mastering reverse swing and starting a pace revolution in Pakistan.