• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Great performances by injured players

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
Tim Southee's 5-for in the current Test match was all the better for the fact that he was carrying a groin strain. Not to mention that it was on a rank turner in a country where swing bowlers aren't supposed to prosper.

Thinking also of Andrew Flintoff bowling England to victory on one leg in the 2009 Ashes.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Three spring to mind.

Malcolm Marshall batting one-handed after having his thumb broken in two places - this enabled Larry Gomes to complete his century.

Rick McCosker batting in the second dog with a broken jaw after being hit by a Bob Willis bouncer in the first innings.

Colin Cowdrey batting with a broken arm having been struck by a Wes Hall delivery.

I need to do a bit of research to find the exact dates. I think Marshall was in the mid '80s, McCosker the '70s and Cowdrey earlier.

Bowling-wise, didn't Kumble bowl with a broken jaw and Stuart Broad with a facial injury (after a ball lodged in the grill of his helmet)?

Shady Slim

International Coach
thinking recently i believe it was vihari who batted india to a draw last year with a torn hamstring in the mcg test?

subshakerz

International Coach
Malcolm Marshall taking 7 wickets with one hand broken in a cast in 1984.

Dean Jones was quite sick in completing his double hundred in India in 1986.

Gob

International Coach
Clarke's hundred in SA in 2014 with a broken shoulder after getting monstered by Morne. All the while horribly looking out of touch.
His ton vs India immediately after Hughes passed away was equally great for different reasons

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bert Sutcliffe batting with a head injury with Bob Blair (who'd just found out his fiancee had died in the Tangiwai Disaster) against a dangerous Neil Adcock in the 1950s. NZ still lost the game, but Sutcliffe ended with 80 not out.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Most obvious one for me is Steve Waugh 2001 Ashes final test making 157 not out on one leg with a DVT

also the Graeme Smith one but it wasn't really a great performance just memorable that he came out and batted

tony p

First Class Debutant
Not Test cricket, but Graeme Fowler scoring a century in each innings with a runner after straining his thigh in the first innings for Lancashire v Warwickshire at Southport in 1982.
Don't know how bad his injury was, but the match was an amazing one Humpage & Kallicharan put on 470 in the Warwickshire first innings, yet they lost by 10 Wickets.