• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Yorkshire CCC racism crisis thread

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He says that after speaking on national TV, there were "high profile" media people "messaging other members of the media who have supported me, saying stuff like 'well, a clubhouse is the lifeblood of a club, and Asian players don't go in there."

Rafiq says "personally, this guy does not know me, has never spent any time with me".

He states the person in question is David Lloyd.

wow, enjoy retirement Bumble

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He says that after speaking on national TV, there were "high profile" media people "messaging other members of the media who have supported me, saying stuff like 'well, a clubhouse is the lifeblood of a club, and Asian players don't go in there."

Rafiq says "personally, this guy does not know me, has never spent any time with me".

wtf this is some parody level **** coming out now

OverratedSanity

Sorry if the initial question wasn't clear enough, completely my bad.

I was more asking why the Steve thing was treated as just as big an issue as the final findings of the report when AFAIR when pujara came out with this the report wasn't anywhere near finalized and had only recently become mainstream news in the cricket sphere.

Edit:Edited some language that trivialised the pujara issue.
I dont think many people really had an issue with it initially. Pujara himself had mentioned it as far back as 2018 and seemed fine with it.

Once it came out last year that it wasnt just Pujara, but multiple non-white cricketers had been called that it rightly became looked at as significantly less acceptable. If it was just him you could claim it was an affectionate nickname between friends which is what pujara thought as well at the time. Its not the biggest deal on its own I guess but just another indicator of a disrespectful attitude towards brown cricketers.

morgieb

Pretty disturbing when you consider that of two of the most senior Sky people, one has Asian heritage himself and another is a noted anti-racism campaigner. While more ignorant than anything else you have to worry what else he has said.....

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rafiq has been asked about England men's Test captain Joe Root's comments that he cannot recall witnessing racism at Yorkshire.

"Rooty is a good man. He has never engaged in racist language. I found it hurtful because Rooty was Gary Ballance's housemate". Rafiq says Root was on nights out when racist language directed at his Pakistan heritage was used.

"Maybe he didn't remember it, but it just shows the institution that a good man like him can not remember those things."

Teja.

Global Moderator
Sorry if the initial question wasn't clear enough, completely my bad.

I was more asking why the Steve thing was treated as just as big an issue as the final findings of the report when AFAIR when pujara came out with this the report wasn't anywhere near finalized and had only recently become mainstream news in the cricket sphere.

Edit:Edited some language that trivialised the pujara issue.

**** this world man.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I dont think many people really had an issue with it initially. Pujara himself had mentioned it as far back as 2018 and seemed fine with it.

Once it came out last year that it wasnt just Pujara, but multiple non-white cricketers had been called that it rightly became looked at as significantly less acceptable. If it was just him you could claim it was an affectionate nickname between friends which is what pujara thought as well at the time. Its not the biggest deal on its own I guess but just another indicator of a disrespectful attitude towards brown cricketers.
Thank you for the sensible and well worded response, whole thing makes alot more sense now, was not aware about the specifics around the initial reaction to it.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
The whole hales blacklisting thing and balance never getting another chance in the test side making alot more sense if the above tweet is factual.

morgieb

This whole saga (and plenty of other racism sagas) has confronted me a lot about just how accepted casual racism is in basically all of society.

When I was younger I had the tendency of saying a lot of **** that in hindsight was plain racist. This was partly because I didn't think it would hurt people, a lot of it because racial slurs just felt normal. My parents said **** about Asians and Middle Eastern people that plain was not cool, yet I didn't think twice before repeating it.

Now I didn't go anywhere near as far as most of the Yorkshire players did in actively making those of non-white backgrounds feel uncomfortable and try to chase them out. Frankly I feel like I would've been appalled at that even as a youngster. But it's quite easy to see how players would just say a lot of stuff (or ignore racist comments rather than call it out) just out of inertia without understanding the consequences. The more this kind of **** comes out, the more that stops and the further we can go to racial healing.

OverratedSanity

The whole hales blacklisting thing and balance never getting another chance in the test side making alot more sense if the above tweet is factual.
Hales track record now includes :

-Kicking a defenseless dude in the head after his mate stokes had knocked him out
-Mocking a cricketer by doing a fake cry after dropping a sitter
-Racism

Seems a lovely bloke. And yes I realise the second one is less bad but it was more annoying.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Hales and Ballance played 250+ combined internationals for England, leaving aside the county games. Imagine having to go on tours, sharing the dressing room, going on team nights out with 'banter' from guys like that as a non-white player...