• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The FINAL, Australia v New Zealand (THE BATTLE OF THE MITCHELLS) at the Ring of Fire, Dubai-- 11/14 Sunday (N)

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
In limited over world tournament semis and finals, Guptill has 227 runs from 308 balls, from 11 innings, no not outs, so that's an average of 20.6 at a strike rate of 73.7. No 50s or 100s in there either.

So it was exactly the sort of mysterious momentum killing innings we expect from him in a big game.

The Hutt Rec

What if we include quarterfinals
He's played two, 1 off 14 vs South Africa in 2011, and obviously 237* off 163 vs the might of the West Indies at home.

Takes it to 465 runs at 38.75 with a strike rate of 95.9, one 100, no 50s.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
What if we include quarterfinals
That knock is one of the truly great 'use it in favour of your argument or against' moments. The pro Guptill's point out the unprecedented double ton, in a knock out game, the cynics point out he was dropped with an absolute sitter on 4 and feasted out on an increasingly disinterested Windies.

The Hutt Rec

That knock is one of the truly great 'use it in favour of your argument or against' moments. The pro Guptill's point out the unprecedented double ton, in a knock out game, the cynics point out he was dropped with an absolute sitter on 4 and feasted out on an increasingly disinterested Windies.
I think it's such an outlier ... not even a 50 in the 12 other innings ... that it has to be seen as a great individual knock for sure (I was at the ground that day and absolutely loved it), but not something that's even been close to happening again.

Sort of telling that even with that included, he can't get over a 100 strike rate for those matches.

Mike5181

International Captain
Easy to say as a lard silo on the couch, but he does have a tendency to go missing when there's pressure on. Even in this game, he looked confident until the Australians dismissed Mitchell and reminded him it was a final.

It's not why the game was lost, mind you. 170 odd was defendable.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
The turning point for Australia in this tournament was playing Marsh up the order where he belongs. Earlier he was down the order and didn't bat v SL and then was dropped for the disaster v England. Since then, and batting at #3, he has scored 174 off 109 balls at an average of 87.0
In white ball cricket, M.Marsh > S.Smith

Niall

International Coach
So does guptill 25 of 32 balls go down as one of the worst 20 20 innings in a final
Its a good question.

I went and looked at all the finals to see how it stacked up and yes it was an absolute wretched effort to say the least.

other poor efforts...

Malik v India in 1st world cup final where the target was small...

This is probably very harsh, but Michael Clarke wasted everyone's time in the final where they lost to England.

but this is the worst without a doubt....Yuvi stinking it out v Sri Lanka while hitters had to seethe praying he would get out ASAP.

loterry1994

International Debutant
The turning point for Australia in this tournament was playing Marsh up the order where he belongs. Earlier he was down the order and didn't bat v SL and then was dropped for the disaster v England. Since then, and batting at #3, he has scored 174 off 109 balls at an average of 87.0
Smiths hopeless in t20 in my opinion, everyone here thinks he can be like Williamson in this format. But it’s hard for him to change gears. If Smith had come out after Finch got out this final I wouldn’t of liked our chances wining it. Smiths is mainly good in situations where you got a low total to chase and tough pitch and an early wicket falls and he comes in at 3

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Easy to say as a lard silo on the couch, but he does have a tendency to go missing when there's pressure on. Even in this game, he looked confident until the Australians dismissed Mitchell and reminded him it was a final.

It's not why the game was lost, mind you. 170 odd was defendable.
couch psychologist time

I've always thought guptill's problem is that he's probably the biggest hitter of a cricket ball in NZ, but there's a part of him which wants to be respected as a 'real' batsman not just a slogger. reckon he'd be a much more effective player (particularly in t20) if he stopped caring about getting out and went full mccullum for the rest of his career. Probably not going to happen because he's quite an, uh, "emotionally charged" dude if stories of his changing room antics are to be believed.

Aritro

International Regular
couch psychologist time

I've always thought guptill's problem is that he's probably the biggest hitter of a cricket ball in NZ, but there's a part of him which wants to be respected as a 'real' batsman not just a slogger. reckon he'd be a much more effective player (particularly in t20) if he stopped caring about getting out and went full mccullum for the rest of his career. Probably not going to happen because he's quite an, uh, "emotionally charged" dude if stories of his changing room antics are to be believed.
What are these then out of interest?

Using up all the hot water in the showers? Wet towels across the arse for unsuspecting teammates? Belting out the words to Dead or Alive's "You Spin Me Right Round" while he helicopters his own dick ? If so, fair play to him. I don't see why I should hold him to higher standards than I do myself.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I watched every ball of the wtc final

I watched us bat against namibia in this and thats it.

Losing this game doesnt compare to losing conway for the indian series
Rohit Pant Bumrah are all missing for us. You should be able to jam your way to a win tbh. Thanks BCCI.

Burgey

Going by those numbers, in white ball cricket MMarsh über alles

Burgey

Smiths hopeless in t20 in my opinion, everyone here thinks he can be like Williamson in this format. But it’s hard for him to change gears. If Smith had come out after Finch got out this final I wouldn’t of liked our chances wining it. Smiths is mainly good in situations where you got a low total to chase and tough pitch and an early wicket falls and he comes in at 3
Yeah I think they played a lot better when they used him that way. If they’d lost two for nothing then he’s better value than Maxwell, otherwise if he plays he needs to float around like he did in the final.

There’s not always a role like that to had I suppose

Be happy if he gave the format away tbh. He’s got a 50 and 20 over WC winners medal now. Be happy enough for him to focus on tests and ODIs. Suspect he won’t though.

Spark

Global Moderator
Wait, Zampa didn't get player of the tournament? Aus' best player by a mile IMO.

EDIT: Okay that might be overstating things and tbf Warner was top tier when it counted most. But still, that's surprising