• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India Doom and Gloom Thread

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Keep the Gambhiring to the match threads and series subforums. This here is the real thing.

Our best batsman has worse Root-itis than Root himself in 2018-19. Our next best batsman cover drives Anderson in the first over of a test in England and thinks SR is overrated in T20s. Our third best batsman cant play swing. Our fourth best batsman bats too low but also can't bat too high. Our middle order is shambles. Our captain has had his brain screwed up so much that he can't even buy a run when him scoring runs seemed to be the only good thing about his captaincy. Our vice-captain and #3 really should not be playing test cricket right now but they do coz they are not that bad and the replacements are not that good.

Our best bowler and the best spinner in the world cannot get a game coz of stupid selection policies. Our best seamer is being overworked and seems to have lost his ability to run through batting sides, though to be fair, he only did it in one series to the Windies and has always shown a lack of ability to pick massive hauls even in LOI cricket. Our next best bowler has lost his action, confidence and form. Our third best bowler is a newbie who only started playing tests this season. Our fourth best bowler cannot get hauls just like our premier fast bowler but also gives away runs irrespective of which pitch he is playing at. Our best swing bowlers are injured and/or cannot be trusted through a test match right now. Our fast bowling allrounder is struggling to even bowl 4 overs in a T20. Our spin bowling allrounder is finding new ways to get injured and is unable to provide control and consistency, which was his best bowling trait.

I can go on, but you get the idea. We are ****ed. Calling our resident doomsdayers to the thread now.

@OverratedSanity @cnerd123 @silentstriker

Last edited:

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
India had fair chance of winning the first test and they did win the second one. Just dropped the third one at day one which can happen to best of the teams. Dropping Pujara after scoring ninety this test and fifty in last would not be ideal. Rahane the only one who can India look to change. Pace bowling department have been doing well about quite some time now so no need to worry about too much. Ashwin can certainly come in the playing XI in place of Ishant maybe.

It’s not doom and gloom yet for sure.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Four number XIs has to end immediately - it would not be acceptable for any other side so don't know why it is for us. Ashwin needs to come in. It is overrating them to think that dropping anyone of Siraj, Shami or Ishant will result in disaster - especially when they'd be dropped for Ashwin who is a very strong spinner in all conditions these days. All of them are good but it is telling that Umesh Yadav normally does just as well (albeit normally at home) and Ashwin also can bowl just as well as them. The big weakness in the pace attack is with the brand new ball - the bowlers just aren't particularly proficient with it.

This batting line-up has been incredibly weak for far too long and has been constantly bailed out by people like Sundar, Thakur, Pant, Jadeja and Shami that have shown that when the top order have failed, it has not been because the bowling is impossibly good or the pitch is a minefield. India need to look hard at who are the top batsmen in FC cricket - regardless of age and look to blood them into the setup.

And India need to think about preparing properly for tours like this (England, Australia, New Zealand) with more than one tour game and more batsmen playing domestic games beforehand. Adequate preparation could have avoided this disaster waiting to happen. And it feels that for whatever reason, the team doesn't want to prepare hard for tours like this. Instead of the ridiculous farce of a Sri Lanka series, having Shaw and Agarwal play either county cricket or a couple of tour games would have solidified if they are genuine replacement potentials or still the walking wickets from Australia - I know Agarwal came good in the end.

I think it is telling that when bowlers have played County Cricket, they really do great in England - see RP Singh (2007), Zaheer Khan (2007) and more recently, Ishant Sharma (2018). I think some of this is just due to superior coaching (e.g., RP credited some S&C work) but I think it is a slightly different length of bowling required also. The naive impression that I get is that Ranji Trophy just has a level down in coaching work when compared to the English system.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I don't automatically see having four bowlers who can't bat as a major problem if they're your four best bowlers. The main problem is that the top 4 are inconsistent and there's not a lot in the middle.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't automatically see having four bowlers who can't bat as a major problem if they're your four best bowlers. The main problem is that the top 4 are inconsistent and there's not a lot in the middle.
Rohit Sharma has been very good since returning to the team, to be fair.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Rohit Sharma has been very good since returning to the team, to be fair.
Honestly, as harsh as it is, that is part of the problem too. He is our best batsman but he is also unable to make a big score. If Rohit has a Virat 2018 type series here, we wont be dropping any games given our bowling and their batting, tbh.

And that is part of my para on the batting. Its obviously a bigger indictment on the rest of the batting but ultimately, it does matter what you do with your good form. I hope Rohit makes a big one at The Oval as I feel that will help our 3-5 find their form too.

But given this is the doom and gloom thread, I am gonna say he wont and they wont and we will have many more entries to this thread. :(

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah but lets be practical here. We will see Ashwin for Ishant and that's it. :(

Maybe Shardul for Jaddu if Jaddu is not fit.