• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Trent Bridge, Nottingham - Aug 4-8 - 2021

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
On the topics of all-rounders, wierd not to see ryan higgins in the squad now with no stokes, not been in great form recently but started the season well and has great stats. Even a random darren stevens call up wouldn't have been a bad option.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On the topics of all-rounders, wierd not to see ryan higgins in the squad now with no stokes, not been in great form recently but started the season well and has great stats. Even a random darren stevens call up wouldn't have been a bad option.
If only :(

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
View attachment 28823
Found this on cricinfo, really summarizes batting over the past year well
As much as I hate watching him score runs against us - it is clear that he has a genuine winning mentality when he bats. He definitely doesn't see it like a beachball when he gets in but he picks his ball, knocks it to the boundary and he's on 10-15 before you know it and looking very settled, even if conditions are tough. With some of the other England batsmen, it feels like they really go through hell to get to 15.

I think this is the area where he excels over Kohli and Smith. Smith doesn't seem to be sure which balls to score off early on and relies on his exceptional hand-eye and really digging himself in. And Kohli is positive early but not always perfect with his decision making and seldom looks totally settled in trying conditions.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe there gonna go with moeen at 7 buttler at 6? Then 4 pacers.
Moeen's counterattack could be extremely useful for England. Moeen and Butler could have a similar impact to Pant and Jadeja in being able to swing a game quickly.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
i'd love it if there's no curran against us in a test in england
I can see him acting like Thakur in the first Test in taking crucial wickets at crucial times.

EDIT: In addition to our inability to get him out unless he lets us.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The Curran factor against India may be a decent argument for playing the extra bowler, with Buttler and Moeen at 6 and 7. On the basis that Curran works much better as part of a five-man rather than a four man attack.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
On the basis that Curran works much better as part of a five-man rather than a four man attack.
This is probably true of Wood as well, though, who would improve the bowling I think if he replaced Curran (especially in Stokes' absence as we don't have anyone else who can do the short-pitched aggressive stuff well).

The main argument for Curran is that our batting is so bad his lower order runs are so needed.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
This is probably true of Wood as well, though, who would improve the bowling I think if he replaced Curran (especially in Stokes' absence as we don't have anyone else who can do the short-pitched aggressive stuff well).

The main argument for Curran is that our batting is so bad his lower order runs are so needed.
Obviously I'm biased towards the Surrey man, so I'll argue against Wood's record in England and suggest that Curran bowled rather better at Trent Bridge than his figures suggested. Although I realise that being slogged by Bumrah isn't a ringing endorsement for his continued selection.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Obviously I'm biased towards the Surrey man, so I'll argue against Wood's record in England and suggest that Curran bowled rather better at Trent Bridge than his figures suggested. Although I realise that being slogged by Bumrah isn't a ringing endorsement for his continued selection.
That Bumrah six was glorious. Just an absolute smack.

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
Moeen isn't really leapfrogging Bess or Leach since he's getting picked to be an allrounder.
Bess has been batting at six for Yorkshire. I think it was one of his conditions for signing there.

I'd still rather have Moeen though, both as batter and bowler. Not really sure why Bess was still in the England squad after his struggles in the winter.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Woakes is out. Looks like Pope will come back in, probably for Bairstow.

I thought Crawley looked horrendous in this game, was making two or three mistakes every over. It's almost better to just get out first ball, which can happen to anyone. But I think he'll play this test. The selectors absolutely adore him.
I didn't think he was THAT bad first innings but maybe that is just because the good shots look so good (his pull shot is magnificent) that I just ignore the rest.

Bairstow looked genuinely really good in the second innings, I can't quite believe I am saying it but maybe he should stay in the team. Everything always leads me to the impossible, Joe Root at 3...

Burns
Sibley
Root
Pope
Bairstow
Buttler
Moeen

We obviously can't have that though so maybe Pope at 3 would be the best option.