• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commentary complaints thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah they'll have loads of producers in their earpieces telling them to hype things up and keep talking. Doesn't take away from the fact that what they actually say is usually utter balls mind you.
As with so much of the contemporary malaise, the top tips page from Viz has the definitive word on the problem:

Link.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I never rated Motson. I always assumed he gained his good reputation before I was born, because nobody really rates him now. But even in his confused old man years he was still above average for the current crop of BBC/ITV leads.
Perhaps the Beeb viewed Motson as a safer pair of hands than the more variable Davies. I never liked his habit of sounding loudly indignant when someone did something unexpected. And his prescripted one-liners, as I said before, were horrible. The one exception was the final act in the brilliant France/Portugal semi-final in the 1984 euros, where he genuinely became excited at Platini's last gasp winner and spoke for most of us about having 'not seen a game like this for years'. It wasn't just the words, but his genuine sense of excitement that appealed to me. But I don't think he did anything like that again.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Unnecessary use of "that" is bugging me today

E.g. "in that midfield" and "on that right hand side"

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Italy have spent this entire game playing the most open, beautiful passing football of the whole tournament and the commentators are banging on about how much they love defending. Strip away the stereotypes and it’s just pure diarrhoea.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Italy have spent this entire game playing the most open, beautiful passing football of the whole tournament and the commentators are banging on about how much they love defending. Strip away the stereotypes and it’s just pure diarrhoea.
The inverse is again also true. Brazil teams over the last 10-20 years have at various points been set up to be thuggery incarnate, and the Comms still go on about channeling Rivelinho or whoever.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
'I don't think that (Belotti being hit in the face) is that serious.'

Camera pans to him and he's got a black eye coming on.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The inverse is again also true. Brazil teams over the last 10-20 years have at various points been set up to be thuggery incarnate, and the Comms still go on about channeling Rivelinho or whoever.
That was the main reason I found them getting smashed 7-1 by Germany so funny after they kicked **** out of the Colombians in the quarter finals.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Danny Murphy is so consistently wrong about really basic stuff that I’m starting to worry about his eyesight.
I honestly had never noticed how true this is before reading this comment. Murphy is so bland I guess I hadn't been processing what he was actually saying. But ever since UC pointed this out I've noticed it every game he's been on commentary.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Matterface clearly isn’t much of a football fan and it makes his commentary so jarring. Gets excited at all the wrong times.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
He's just so unspeakably poor

Love how he told everyone to go out and do whatever they liked to celebrate, only to then retract and say "within restrictions"

Obviously got yelled at by a producer in his headset

Howe_zat

Audio File
He's just so unspeakably poor

Love how he told everyone to go out and do whatever they liked to celebrate, only to then retract and say "within restrictions"

Obviously got yelled at by a producer in his headset
I'm glad it wasn't just me hearing things, that might be the worst piece of sports commentary I've ever heard that wasn't from Shane Warne