• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commentary complaints thread

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I don't dislike Murphy generally, but "He's in" when a player is 40 yards out with five defenders covering lacks a bit of polish.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's a weird thing, that we have come from quite dull co-comms, that rarely said anything controversial like brooking, to now people that, in the modern way state things in such black-and-white ways, looking to stir up controversy. Murphy and Jenas are perfect examples of this, no nuance, just their view is right.

Almost makes me nostalgic for the dullness.

Pothas

The thing is that Murphy is still incredibly dull.

The Brooking type are better for international football anyway I reckon, someone like Alan Smith would be much better than the guys they have on the BBC.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a weird thing, that we have come from quite dull co-comms, that rarely said anything controversial like brooking, to now people that, in the modern way state things in such black-and-white ways, looking to stir up controversy. Murphy and Jenas are perfect examples of this, no nuance, just their view is right.

Almost makes me nostalgic for the dullness.
I think they also talk far more than they used to. The co-comms role used to be adding occasional colour and analysis to the solo commentary that had been the norm. Now it’s a constant chatter. Murphy and Jenas are especially bad for just never knowing when to shut up.

grecian

I think they also talk far more than they used to. The co-comms role used to be adding occasional colour and analysis to the solo commentary that had been the norm. Now it’s a constant chatter. Murphy and Jenas are especially bad for just never knowing when to shut up.
That's a thing with all sports, must be something they're told to do, Tennis is often unlistenable too nowadays.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah they'll have loads of producers in their earpieces telling them to hype things up and keep talking. Doesn't take away from the fact that what they actually say is usually utter balls mind you.

Uppercut

Especially in the post-match interviews, especially at Wimbledon. They really are unwatchable.
Haha yeah so so bad.

Even the Wimbledon crowd is in on it. I can't believe how intensely it's possible to suck up using only the medium of crowd noises. What gaggle of tossers responds to a hilarious shank with a horrified gasp followed by encouraging applause?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Wimbledon commentary in the 70's and early 80's was largely long periods of absolute silence broken by the occasional "Oh I say" from Dan Maskall if it was a dramatic point.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Wimbledon commentary in the 70's and early 80's was largely long periods of absolute silence broken by the occasional "Oh I say" from Dan Maskall if it was a dramatic point.
And it was none the worse for that. I think we could all name commentators who have shown that they don't need to describe everything that we can see with our own eyes anyway. Benaud the obvious example, but there are others. Perhaps they understood that the role of commentators is to, er, comment.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Haha yeah so so bad.

Even the Wimbledon crowd is in on it. I can't believe how intensely it's possible to suck up using only the medium of crowd noises. What gaggle of tossers responds to a hilarious shank with a horrified gasp followed by encouraging applause?
Hahaha, this is excellent. :laugh:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The Wimbledon shows courts generally are full of middle class snobs. If you ask Jimmy Connors his greatest moments at Wimbledon he puts the 1991 middle Sunday (an extra day to make up for time lost to rain) with the "normal" crowd way above most other matches even though he lost in straight sets.

Uppercut

And it was none the worse for that. I think we could all name commentators who have shown that they don't need to describe everything that we can see with our own eyes anyway. Benaud the obvious example, but there are others. Perhaps they understood that the role of commentators is to, er, comment.
I get that some people are sick of Martin Tyler, and I don't like him all the time, but he's the only football commentator left who lets the biggest moments speak for themselves. The Aguero commentary works so well because he leaves 7 or 8 seconds of silence after the goal. Anyone else would just keep babbling away.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I get that some people are sick of Martin Tyler, and I don't like him all the time, but he's the only football commentator left who lets the biggest moments speak for themselves. The Aguero commentary works so well because he leaves 7 or 8 seconds of silence after the goal. Anyone else would just keep babbling away.
Davies was pretty good at embellishing rather than pointlessly describing. 'You have to say that's magnificent' after Maradona's second goal in 1986 one obvious example. His response to England's final goal in the 1988 Olympic hockey final was great too; 'Where were the German defence and, frankly, who cares?' I know he was a tad self-indulgent at times, but matches were generally better for his presence. Far better than Motson's pre-scripted puns.

Uppercut

Davies was pretty good at embellishing rather than pointlessly describing. 'You have to say that's magnificent' after Maradona's second goal in 1986 one obvious example. His response to England's final goal in the 1988 Olympic hockey final was great too; 'Where were the German defence and, frankly, who cares?' I know he was a tad self-indulgent at times, but matches were generally better for his presence. Far better than Motson's pre-scripted puns.
Yeah Davies wasn't perfect, but he had a gravitas that really worked when something special was happening.

I never rated Motson. I always assumed he gained his good reputation before I was born, because nobody really rates him now. But even in his confused old man years he was still above average for the current crop of BBC/ITV leads.

On the Maradona commentary, Davies's response to the finish is great, but Bryon Butler while he's dribbling is one of my favourite bits of commentary ever.