• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question on ban announcements

Shri

Mr. Glass
hey now that you mention it why isn't he banned from the n+p subbie

also why do so many people hate your modding

Spark

Global Moderator
hey now that you mention it why isn't he banned from the n+p subbie

also why do so many people hate your modding
The honest to god answer is probably because I'm often the one who actually hands out a lot of the infractions so people assume I was the only one responsible and was just going off on some power trip, as opposed to me being the one to push the button on a decision that a bunch of us already discussed anyway, especially with regards to some more contentious infractions or bans.

Also I'm an opinionated guy and I say pretty much exactly what I think without much of a filter. That's bound to rub some people the wrong way, I've long accepted that.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
All this just looks like regular posters as individuals getting peed off with a couple of dicks relentlessly posting crap and generally being obnoxious over many years rather than a clique of mods or posters systematically planning a “crucifixion” behind the scenes.

Bijed

International Regular
The honest to god answer is probably because I'm often the one who actually hands out a lot of the infractions so people assume I was the only one responsible
On that note, is there any way infractions could be anonymised (or is there a reason why they aren't)? I doubt it would make much difference overall, but if nothing else, reducing the chance of infracted posters forming misinformed grudges against specfic mods would presumably be a good thing

Spark

Global Moderator
On that note, is there any way infractions could be anonymised (or is there a reason why they aren't)? I doubt it would make much difference overall, but if nothing else, reducing the chance of infracted posters forming misinformed grudges against specfic mods would presumably be a good thing
I genuinely have no idea what infractions under XenForo look like when they're received tbh but regardless I always leave a PM of some description if only out of politeness and I assume so do the other mods. Yeah it'll mean that you get angry and/or abusive replies a good chunk of the time but honestly better there than on the forum proper. All it means from my point of view is that you probably didn't get the message and you don't deserve the benefit of the doubt next time.

There are things I feel we could do to improve communication surrounding infractions, but again it's worth reiterating that none of that has anything to do with the mess that is the last ten or so pages of this thread.

Shri

Mr. Glass
The honest to god answer is probably because I'm often the one who actually hands out a lot of the infractions so people assume I was the only one responsible and was just going off on some power trip, as opposed to me being the one to push the button on a decision that a bunch of us already discussed anyway, especially with regards to some more contentious infractions or bans.

Also I'm an opinionated guy and I say pretty much exactly what I think without much of a filter. That's bound to rub some people the wrong way, I've long accepted that.
ok you answered my joke question and ignored my main one

Shady Slim

International Coach
weldone receiving a private solidarity message and then posting it and essentially outing the guy who sent it to prove he doesn’t have brain worms perhaps isn’t the convincing argument he thinks it to be

regardless, some have said that this “bullying culture” goes beyond just senile sentry and weldone, but as others have said, i really don’t think it is bullying culture, it is a tightly knit community rightly not accepting hate, vitriol, hate, and clownosity.

so

let’s have another look at another case study

TNT roamed on the forum for a long time as the mildly racist uncle and we probably let him get away with it for too long. he started out with your garden variety not remarkable rural australian racism, before drifting more and more in to really insipid, repugnant altright talking points on how minorities do more crimes because they’re predisposed and how migrants bring with them violent crimes. even so, a ban was handed out and he came back and it was hoped he might not do that any more. then, not only did the guy continue to do that, he went even further and said some really just vile things about the transgender community. extended toleration of the intolerant without consequence just led to his posting getting worse and worse tbh. it is our duty as a tolerant community to call out hatred and bile like tnt was regularly posting.

now compare this to L+L, who’s become an esteemed and valued member despite only being here a short time. L+L came in to the AmPol thread and put a candace owens vid up, and noted some of the talking points there were quite interesting. after having it pointed out she’s a vile bigot who uses ostensibly sophisticated talking points to smuggle racism in to the discourse, he took it on board. learning experience. open minds. no bigotry. which is why everyone likes him!

now look at SS. when called out on blatant hindu nationalism, instead of showing desires to learn and be a bit more tolerant, he decided to posit a theory that all who called him out on being a bigot were simply too stupid to understand the nuance behind him hating muslims. when called out on similar attitudes in past threads, weldone too did the pivot to “everyone here is an idiot except for me” and decided to start ****ting on uppercut’s personal achievements for no reason

this is an incredibly tolerant, accepting community. people are here of many races, many backgrounds, many genders and many classes. what we do not tolerate here is bigotry, intolerance, and spreading of hate and bile, frankly, and i am glad to say i’m part of a tightly knit community that doesn’t stand for that stuff

inb4 “ok”, i’m on my morning commute and it’s two hours so we longposting

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, you've got to know which moderator to VM and tip a bucket of **** over when they hand out the infraction.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
When multiple posters disagree with one particular poster this can appear to be bullying. Sometimes multiple posts are warranted to express the CW community's disapproval but on other occasions it can be overkill. As a group we have representatives from several nations and various walks of life. Opinions can be coloured by education, environment and culture and, if one disagrees with those opinions, it is better to consider these factors and exercise greater tolerance and understanding when communicating with others. Blatant personal attacks and branding people of Nazis, unless absolutely warranted, reflects poorly on the poster rather than their target. I might add, I find the term Nazi is overused and is rarely, if ever, an accurate reflection of someone.

On a personal note, regarding infractions and the mods, I see their role as a being difficult and demanding task. The site has clearly stated rules yet these rules appear to be ignored on occasions. On one or two occasions I have reported posts because the content was both personal and offensive - these coming when I had expressed intolerance of others' opinions. I was somewhat taken aback to receive absolutely no feedback and then to find the mod, not only siding with my protagonists, but using my ill-advised, intolerant post as a signature. I have made literally thousands of posts in my short time here and, in an open letter, expressed my regret at trying to follow a trend on occasions rather than exhibiting greater tolerance. To have, what I regard as my worst and most unfortunate post, held up as a mocking signature by a mod is both distasteful and lacking in impartiality.

Spark

Global Moderator
ok you answered my joke question and ignored my main one
Honestly the subforum ban thing was something we only specifically use for that one subforum because it is a games-related subforum and one guy being a dick in there will ruin the experience for everyone else in a way that it wouldn't to the same degree elsewhere.

If people really want subforum bans to be a thing then sure we can discuss it, but personally I'd rather just merge back N+P into OT at some stage. I was once all for it, but I'm less convinced that the subforum is necessary with each passing day.