• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question on ban announcements

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
A while back I had a dream about cw (tragic enough in itself, I know) where James introduced a mandatory set of political and social beliefs that everyone had to formally affirm to be members on the site. Mostly just mainstream views but there was one statement I didn't agree with so I had to leave the site.

tl;dr dreams are weird.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
There is two different issues here. Regardless of having an N&P thread, CW does not allow all views to expressed. If you come across espousing racist, bigoted, homophobic tendencies then you will be put on a warning, because that is not allowed on CW.

As for the second issue of cliques and bullying; yes some of it has gotten out of hand at times. But I will say that is not a surprise when you have cliques of people because a forum has existed for almost 30 years. But if you went to a party with a new group of friends, and became overly loud and/or obnoxious, where the majority of people knew each other for 20 plus years and you where told to wind your neck in or get out, none of that would be a surprise. Nobody just gets to walk into a new social group (even on a forum) and behave like the rest of the group that have hung around together for years. It took me years of reading and acclimatising before I was comfortable posting across the site. I still delete more posts than publish, because of dynamics and not wanting the angst or to cause angst. There has been plenty of new members in the past couple of years that are more than happy to hang around, in general the people who have come and gone, due to 'bullying' came in guns blazing made a nuisance of themselves and went out in a flounce because they expected to just be treated like everybody else no matter how they behaved. That is just unrealistic of any societal norm.

I can see how some have felt ganged up on at times, but I have also seen some of those people say hang on a sec, take a step back and everybody calmed the rhetoric down (i.e. behaved like the proverbial 'adults'), sometimes through the mods and sometimes by themselves, as people got to know each other better.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I dunno man, it sounds like your ideal vision of a politics forum is where all sides have a rational debate where we can critically discuss equally valid perspectives and educate ourselves without any ill-will. I just don't think it's going to happen on any website.
I agree and that is why I said "we are way past it" in my original post. Still, a guy can dream. :p

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nobody just gets to walk into a new social group (even on a forum) and behave like the rest of the group that have hung around together for years. It took me years of reading and acclimatising before I was comfortable posting across the site.
100% this had this argument with the mods many years ago when told that me and Burgey flaming each other was giving the wrong impression to new members, because they didn't know we were joking*. Well surely some onus is on the new guy.

Reminds me of an imbecile who worked with my mate for a bit. He took the 'act like you've known everyone for years' approach, reaching the nadir when at a staff party he met someone for the first time and rather than saying 'Hi I'm [Jack] pleased to meet you' said 'Alright [Ross], bet you're on the Gary's aren't you?'

I won't spell out what Gary's are, it's scouse dialect and easy enough to look up. Suffice to say it didn't go Dow well whereas because I had known Ross for years, had I been invited to this party for some reason and said the same thing it would have been met with a laugh. Human nature and all all that.

Not to say we shouldn't make newcomers feel welcome but you do have to take personal responsibility for getting a feel for the place.

*NB I wasn't joking anyway, Burgey is a ****

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I’m all for nuking the N+P sub forum.
I came here for cricket and whacky OT.
Heh, I don't think you'd like that. N+P isn't there because we all enjoyed talking about politics so much that we created a fun new dedicated place for it. It's there to stop politics from stinking up the rest of the forum. OT used to be like 60% politics threads, and the discussion was much uglier then than it is now.

Spark

Global Moderator
Heh, I don't think you'd like that. N+P isn't there because we all enjoyed talking about politics so much that we created a fun new dedicated place for it. It's there to stop politics from stinking up the rest of the forum. OT used to be like 60% politics threads, and the discussion was much uglier then than it is now.
That's because Ikki and watson were still here though, not because of it being a dedicated subforum or not.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Get rid of it. Don't trust the boomers, they hate change.

Decentralize all of this stuff, have just one board called "Poop" and let everyone pour their filth into it, cricket or otherwise. Because let's face it, it's all crap at the end of the day. Whether you're making post after posting whacking off some guy for doing a book on capitalism, expressing your right wing views, calling Gavaskar a racist or making draft threads. It's all trash.