• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 3rd Test at the Sardar Patel Sports Complex, Ahmedabad, 24 - 28 Feb 2021

Bijed

International Regular
Tbh I think OS is spot on really in that whatever criticisms can be justifiably levelled at the pitch this match has basically been fun. You'd probably get bored of matches like this quite quickly if they kept happening but it's the sort of crazy memorable sort of match that's part of what makes test circket as interesting to follow as it is

Weirdly, I dont think any of the Indians complained about the pitch being "unfair".

TBH, though, that was also due to the overhead conditions. But then again, a lot of what happened this game seems to be due to the pink ball too. We will find out next week, I guess.
That's a good point. I guess you wouldn't have to add loads to each innings total for it to become notably low-scoring but not egregiously so, and quite possibly a lot of that difference could be down to unfamiliarity with how the pink ball behaved in these conditions

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Tbh I think OS is spot on really in that whatever criticisms can be justifiably levelled at the pitch this match has basically been fun. You'd probably get bored of matches like this quite quickly if they kept happening but it's the sort of crazy memorable sort of match that's part of what makes test circket as interesting to follow as it is
There's no issue in a team having to go away and deal with a pitch that is doing a lot in the way that local conditions can offer (ie seam and swing in England, bounce in Australia, spin in India etc). It just seems that whenever it's spin, it's so much more unfair. Why? Because generally every other side outside Asia has no idea, whereas the Asian sides have slightly more of a clue when it comes to sideways movement in the air or off the seam.

I think it does stress the importance of a neutral venue for the WTC final though. I'm not a believer that the top ranked team should host or even that a side should be able to play at home (if England had qualified 2nd and hosted, that seems to me to be unfair just because Lord's is considered cricket Mecca). Have a couple of options for grounds and play it at a neutral venue when six months out it's known who's in the final. It just worked out that way organically this year.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I haven't watched a lot of the highlights but is it so unreasonable to expect that a side going to India, with a place in the WTC final on the line, would pick a side capable of playing spin and then work bloody hard to get ready for it? And realise that yeah you're not going to score 400 on those sorts of decks but if you find a way to get 150-200, bowl well, get good fields and take catches, that you can actually compete?

We see it in NZ all the time. Teams come here, bowl too short, don't leave well and wonder why they can't compete. Do your homework. Work that bit harder to get results overseas which is such a hard thing to do, but can be done.

Groundking

International Debutant
We should have brought Jennings on tour to play instead of giving that bum Bairstow another go. He could have played all the tests too as he doesn't play for us in the short ****.

White Ball

State 12th Man
Thought this was a great deck for batting just that both teams batted poorly.
Really enjoyed India’s second innings going at 7 an over without losing a wicket showed it’s a decent wicket.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I think it does stress the importance of a neutral venue for the WTC final though. I'm not a believer that the top ranked team should host or even that a side should be able to play at home (if England had qualified 2nd and hosted, that seems to me to be unfair just because Lord's is considered cricket Mecca). Have a couple of options for grounds and play it at a neutral venue when six months out it's known who's in the final. It just worked out that way organically this year.
You know what would be funny? If sometime in the future, India (or Pak who look like the only other semi-serious contender from the SC going forward) don't qualify for a WTC final held in India. Imagine two SENA sides slugging it out on one of these wickets.

The more I think of it, though, England seems like the only place where you can fathom two "away" teams contesting a final. Home team involvement *feels* far too integral to the dynamics of Test cricket elsewhere. Probably just conditioning and bias I guess.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree with this. It was fun, in an awful kind of way.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
TBH, a lot of CWers, national team fandom aside, are very bowler friendly. So its not surprising that such a pitch seems more fun to a good majority of us. :)

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, who would’ve thought after the first over - when one good length ball sprang up and almost caught Pant in the teeth and another scuttled through at ankle height - that pace bowling would be irrelevant by the end of day 1.

hazsa19

International Regular
What a debacle. I barely saw 10 overs of the match, but I did see the first few overs of our 2nd innings. It took me back to Ajmal against us in the UAE. Ineptitude, indecisiveness, a whole bunch of crap that makes you wonder what on earth they’ve been doing for the last week? No plan whatsoever. They’re cooked and mentally shot.

Can anyone see us making a score if the next pitch has even a modicum of turn?

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Entertaining though. Learned a few things we already knew tbh

1. The human element in umpiring ruins it and the machines should be given full jurisdiction over the matter.
  2. Non-SENA batsmen have zero clue how to play on a slightly difficult spinner's pitch.
  3. Non-SENA batsmen have zero clue how to play even adept level spinners.
  4. Rohit is revolutionizing batting
  5. Even 4 day tests are too long and the ICC needs to reconvene and consider 3 day matches.