• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 3rd Test at the Sardar Patel Sports Complex, Ahmedabad, 24 - 28 Feb 2021

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Rohit is the only batsman who used his feet properly and it showed in last test and this. Ashwin was probably the next best.

It was painful to see Virat Kohli so timid and tepid to use his feet and dance down. He is in a rut at the moment, but with captain himself not setting the tone, it's hard for others to emulate.

And Rahane. LOL.

Groundking

International Debutant
To take just two dismissals: Crawley and Bairstow, two top-order batsmen that were bowled within the first three deliveries of the second innings to balls that did nothing untoward. Who gets the blame for that? Is it the pitch? Is it Crawley, who batted like a dream y'day but apparently was so frightened by what he saw from the other end and the horror stories shared by other Eng batsmen in the dressing room that he ended up playing down the wrong line? Or Bairstow, who's just all-around **** these days and hadn't spent enough time in the middle to know which side was up or down?
Yes opening batsmen never get it wrong at the start of the innings and we all know is **** and likes getting done through the gap 8-)

Shri

Mr. Glass
If Pakistan been touring India on these pitches they would be demolishing India by a large margin.
nah, those bowlers would be easier to play because their actions, angles and bowling technique would be what you expect on asian pitches

would still have to play well of course

sena spinners have classical actions and they rely on flight and length to beat batsmen rather than turn, which is how they grow up bowling at their home

axar for example bowled from wide of the crease in a round arm action

we can basically know how asian spinners are going to bowl and will also prepare tracks with slight assistance to the spinners that the better bowlers can exploit, which is usually us

idk if all this applies for our post ipl cricket world

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rohit is the only batsman who used his feet properly and it showed in last test and this. Ashwin was probably the next best.

It was painful to see Virat Kohli so timid and tepid to use his feet and dance down. He is in a rut at the moment, but with captain himself not setting the tone, it's hard for others to emulate.

And Rahane. LOL.
Made vital runs in Australia despite not being at his best but its been a long time since Pujara looked like peak Pujara too. Thank **** for Rohit because this lineup is in pretty **** form overall.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
nah, those bowlers would be easier to play because their actions, angles and bowling technique would be what you expect on asian pitches

would still have to play well of course

sena spinners have classical actions and they rely on flight and length to beat batsmen rather than turn, which is how they grow up bowling at their home

axar for example bowled from wide of the crease in a round arm action

we can basically know how asian spinners are going to bowl and will also prepare tracks with slight assistance to the spinners that the better bowlers can exploit, which is usually us

idk if all this applies for our post ipl cricket world
On this pitch I meant.

Of course India would go for flattish bouncy pitches against Asian countries as they have a world class pace attack nd spinners who can use bouncy pitches better.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
That doesn't mean much though. For different reasons albeit, neither one of them is exactly about to slag off the pitch as a shocker, even if they think it is.
Agreed - it means more than nothing, though. Someone like Kohli is not going to criticise his team's batting on a whim, nor is Root.

I think there are two sides to this coin. Not to take this too literally (for obvious reasons) but no one is applauding Root's 17 in the first innings, Stokes' 25 in the second innings or Kohli's 27 because it didn't take anything super human to get to that score. Crawley and Rohit showed that it was possible to bat on the surface. A number of wickets felt gifted and I think stronger techniques against spin (or strategies, e.g., staying leg side of the ball) could have rendered this a higher scoring contest. I remember KP for example used to defend with the bat in front of the pad against spin - again, just an example and probably not right on this pitch but there are ways to innovate if the regular block is not working.

I know nothing about nor do I envy the efforts to objectively rate something like a cricket pitch (the instability of the footmarks is something that I personally think is unacceptable, as a former bowler) but I think there was poor batting on display and crucially, a clear inexperience against the way that the pink ball skidded on, on this surface.

One can talk about Root 5/8 as an example of the unsuitability of the pitch and maybe it is right to do so but Leach bowling very well for 4/54 suggests that there is an element to which the conditions just suited Root's bowling very well - he's clearly an awkward bowler to face but just someone without great accuracy nor much opportunity to bowl on pitches which turn.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Made vital runs in Australia despite not being at his best but its been a long time since Pujara looked like peak Pujara too. Thank **** for Rohit because this lineup is in pretty **** form overall.
Yes.

All this calls for a thorough review of Indian batting which has been largely misfiring and yet somehow managing to escape scrutiny.

But the terrible fact is who to replace these guys? There aren't people who are pushing the selection door down from the domestics. T20s yes, there is an infinite supply line - but test cricket no.

BCCI would do well to start planning or it will be staring down the barrel very soon. Virat has probably already has started his long slide down. Rohit can't bat outside India. Pujara is scoring fewer and fewer runs. And Rahane LOL. All these guys are getting into papa 30s as well.

We saw how persisting with aged lineup on past laurels cooked India in 2011 and 2012.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
If we somehow transported 2009-10 batting line up into this, and everything else remained the same, India would've scored at least 350 in first innings and probably won it by an innings.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
You can't have a worse insult to this batting lineup than Root's fifer. This wasn't comparable to Clarke 04 as that was a hell of a lottery pitch

This was nowhere close to a lottery pitch. Just bare minimum skills and a positive attitude (which Rohit and In the second dig, Gill did) is what is needed.

To think of it, purely based on the versatility of bowling, England sjouldve won this test. But somehow, just somehow, their batting lineup managed to be far worse tan their Indian counterparts, despite Indians being embarrassingly bad.

Not a good test series this thus far.

Shri

Mr. Glass
i think the umpiring decisions in the 2nd test pushed them into a siege mentality like we were out to get them with our umpires lol

_00_deathscar

International Regular
How much of This match was mental rather than lack of skills?

I feel like teams coming in with a negative mindset is a recipe for disaster.

Look at what we just did in Bangladesh with our positive mindset.
The English are weak.
England have been feeling sorry for themselves since losing the toss on that morning of the second test. The only toss they’ve lost against India in like 11 or something...

Shri

Mr. Glass
think this pink ball sucks too

first, the extra coating for shine that makes it drift sometimes and skid through

then the seam that gets difficult to spot

think if we had a red ball game on the same surface, both teams would score another 100 runs per innings, at least in the first innings anyway

_00_deathscar

International Regular
i think the umpiring decisions in the 2nd test pushed them into a siege mentality like we were out to get them with our umpires lol
Rot started before that I think.
It’s arguable that the first test was basically just Root too - without him they are seriously up ****creek; they don’t have the attack or the batting to duke it out in a Russian roulette like this.
And if it’s a flattish pitch, if Root doesn’t score they’re probably still ****ed.