• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at the Gabba, Brisbane, 15 - 19 Jan 2021

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Just reading an article it says India lost all tosses too.... geez how much didn't go their way this series but found a way to beat it.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just reading an article it says India lost all tosses too.... geez how much didn't go their way this series but found a way to beat it.
They won in Adelaide. Classic fake news - someone makes something up that people want hear and they just run with it. The lack of deterioration in the pitches means it wasn't really a disadvantage anyway.

Last edited:

Victor Ian

International Coach
Damn. I missed everything after pant came in to bat. It must have been something!

Australia has some great bowling ability yet frustratingly do seem to have this thing where they just hit a wall and cant finish off determined opponents.

Well played India.

****!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They won in Adelaide. Classic fake news - someone makes something up that people want hear and they just run with it. The lack of deterioration in the pitches means it wasn't really a disadvantage anyway.
I wonder whether Paine wishes he'd bowled first in Melbourne, off the back of the 36ao. Hindsight being 20:20 and all.

Burgey

Wondering now (and knowing it won't be the case) that a few Australians turn the mirror on themselves and realise the pseudo Alpha behaviour actually isn't helping their cricket.
Honestly, this is a really poor take. The series was played in awesome spirit between two sides which got along well against a background of really fractious series in the past between them going back more than a decade. It went so well you had people OS literally having to confect controversy about a player shadow batting to make something up. Paine even took it upon himself to apologize for a single inappropriate comment to Ashwin in Sydney even though they'd walked off the park high fiving each other post-game. FMD.

If your idea of a cracking contest is having a swear jar at either end of the pitch, then I'm not for that tbh. It was a great series played the right way. Playing the game the right way doesn't mean you're immune from being demonstrably frustrated at how it's going.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wonder whether Paine wishes he'd bowled first in Melbourne, off the back of the 36ao. Hindsight being 20:20 and all.
Honestly I think we might have been better off bowling first in both Melbourne and Brisbane, then being when there was most life in the pitch. That said if you'd just looked at the pitch you'd bat first every time.

the big bambino

International Captain
I can just see Richie Benaud turning in his swivel chair to face the camera and say "well, that was quite a series." Don't think history has a comparable instance where a side has lost its 4 best seamers just before or during a series while a 5th played on despite a leg strain. Then losing their 2 best slow bowlers and best batsman as well. To overcome that and win a series is now one cricket's best stories.

Australia did have its problems, the worst being the disruption to the top order caused by Warner's injury. Nothing compared to India's problems but it was significant our side had greater trouble covering for its injuries than India did theirs. In a strange way it almost seemed having the same 4 bowlers could have (maybe, perhaps) have reduced their effectiveness by the latter tests. Whereas India's injuries at least ensured fresh replacements who performed at test level. I'm not offering this as an excuse because any side would much prefer to have their best options always available but the circumstances meant India's replacement seamers were fresher for the last test at least.

I didn't see the last day at Sydney and understand chances were dropped by Australia. At least we didn't lose the test. If I could regret just one ball in this series it would have been the delivery that took Rahane's edge in Melboure that went through a vacant 1st slip when the batsman was in the forties on his way to a match defining ton. Just why we positioned a floating, each way slip fielder in a test match is mysterious. I wonder what reasoning was so compelling that it required the field to be absent men in such vital positions? it wasn't as if India were scoring at 5 an over.

Congratulations to India for their play, resolve and resilience. My word Rahane has every reason to be proud of his team and himself.

Edit. It was ball 67.5 and Rahane was in his 50s.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I can just see Richie Benaud turning in his swivel chair to face the camera and say "well, that was quite a series." Don't think history has a comparable instance where a side has lost its 4 best seamers just before or during a series while a 5th played on despite a leg strain. Then losing their 2 best slow bowlers and best batsman as well. To overcome that and win a series is now one cricket's best stories.

Australia did have its problems, the worst being the disruption to the top order caused by Warner's injury. Nothing compared to India's problems but it was significant our side had greater trouble covering for its injuries than India did theirs. In a strange way it almost seemed having the same 4 bowlers could have (maybe, perhaps) have reduced their effectiveness by the latter tests. Whereas India's injuries at least ensured fresh replacements who performed at test level. I'm not offering this as an excuse because any side would much prefer to have their best options always available but the circumstances meant India's replacement seamers were fresher for the last test at least.

I didn't see the last day at Sydney and understand chances were dropped by Australia. At least we didn't lose the test. If I could regret just one ball in this series it would have been the delivery that took Rahane's edge in Melboure that went through a vacant 1st slip when the batsman was in the forties on his way to a match defining ton. Just why we positioned a floating, each way slip fielder in a test match is mysterious. I wonder what reasoning was so compelling that it required the field to be absent men in such vital positions? it wasn't as if India were scoring at 5 an over.

Congratulations to India for their play, resolve and resilience. My word Rahane has every reason to be proud of his team and himself.

Edit. It was ball 67.5 and Rahane was in his 50s.
you say that and so have others but Cummins went for 55/4 in the last innings of the fourth test. I don’t think you can reasonably claim that if Australia had lost their top six bowlers, that the replacements would have bowled better than Cummins and Hazlewood. They both ended with averages of less than 20 for the series ffs! So Claiming that having their top choice pace attack was somehow hampering them is pretty clearly wrong. Unless you have a couple of McGraths waiting in the wings in FC cricket. It was their batting in the first innings that let them down. And Nathan Lyon. Not the fast bowlers.

Daemon

I think it did deteriorate enough yesterday, Lyon somehow bowled a ‘doosra’ lol. The rough outside the left handers offstump was insane, no way should Pant have scored that nuch.

The quicks were also a bit too short imo. Not enough balls at the area where it was doing strange things from time to time.

Sydney definitely didn’t deteriorate as much though.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I mean Hazlewood looked out of puff at the end of the series, but I'm not sure what Australia could've done different. Once the series was tied 1-1 they kinda needed to play their frontline bowling attack in the remaining games, especially with Pattinson out injured. Starc also bowled well if memory serves in those first two games, so it's not even like there was an obvious case for a bowler who should've been subbed out. Kinda doubt Jackson Bird or whoever would've helped Australia's cause much. Really I think it's just the case that India outlasted Australia, and that's more down to them being the better team on the park than any mistakes Australia made with their selections.

the big bambino

International Captain
you say that and so have others but Cummins went for 55/4 in the last innings of the fourth test. I don’t think you can reasonably claim that if Australia had lost their top six bowlers, that the replacements would have bowled better than Cummins and Hazlewood. They both ended with averages of less than 20 for the series ffs! So Claiming that having their top choice pace attack was somehow hampering them is pretty clearly wrong. Unless you have a couple of McGraths waiting in the wings in FC cricket. It was their batting in the first innings that let them down. And Nathan Lyon. Not the fast bowlers.
I clearly said I wasn't offering that as an excuse so your post is an example of writing something after failing to comprehend what you read.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
There's a reason why I no longer want it used. Not quite as compelling as the reason for another member's recent change, but legitimate all the same.
sure i was not prying...just expressing an opinion, is all...:)

Daemon

Starc was bowling serious heat even when he was bowling poorly. Cummins and Haze were also actually bowling quicker than in the previous games. They did look visibly tired though.

The argument floated by a few that Australia may have benefited from fresh legs can’t be serious. They would have benefited from dropping Starc maybe but not because he was tired.

India was at a major disadvantage from all the injuries. The fact that the replacements were fresh softens that disadvantage only to a very small extent imo.