• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at the Gabba, Brisbane, 15 - 19 Jan 2021

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Just a question re Neser. He's been twelfth man for god knows how long now. I imagine that must take a bit out of him mentally and whether he will ever step up to the test level. Just seems like Australia aren't planning ahead and using the other quicks at their disposal, and rotating them in accordingly. When does he become disillusioned by this and his confidence takes a shot?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They haven't needed to though. The only time there's been a short gap between tests this summer has been Syd-Brisbane.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
They haven't needed to though
Sure Cummins, Hazlewood and Starc are the men in possession, but sooner or later you've got to look at other options as suitable backup imo, and see whether they're ready to step up. It's all hypotheticals, but if the main three break down with an injury (individually or at once), you've got Neser, Abbott, Pattinson and probably Jhye Richardson who combined have played just over 20 tests.
Just a personal opinion, in that I'm of the view that irrespective of how your fast bowlers are performing (for any side) you do need to look at other options to rotate in regularly

TheJediBrah

I've actually spent less time watching this series than I have spent posting on this forum about it (can't you tell), so wondering what the general consensus of Lyon's bowling has been? Numbers been bad, but have India played him well or has he been ordinary? I'm always up for a reactionary dropping of an established player

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I've actually spent less time watching this series than I have spent posting on this forum about it (can't you tell), so wondering what the general consensus of Lyon's bowling has been? Numbers been bad, but have India played him well or has he been ordinary? I'm always up for a reactionary dropping of an established player
Gazza seems to be bowling as well as he usually does. I think India have just been playing him rather well, plus Ashwin being in beast mode at the current time kinda makes it seem like Lyon has been underwhelming, on paper at least.

Dunno if Australia are due to tour the SC sometime in the next 12 months, but I would be surprised if a move to phase Zampa into the Test side slowly starts to take shape.

Burgey

Didn't bowl a ball 2nd dig Adelaide. He was pretty ordinary in Melbourne. Bowled a bit too short and flat. I thought he was better in Sydney, created chances both innings which weren't taken.

Burgey

Sure Cummins, Hazlewood and Starc are the men in possession, but sooner or later you've got to look at other options as suitable backup imo, and see whether they're ready to step up. It's all hypotheticals, but if the main three break down with an injury (individually or at once), you've got Neser, Abbott, Pattinson and probably Jhye Richardson who combined have played just over 20 tests.
Just a personal opinion, in that I'm of the view that irrespective of how your fast bowlers are performing (for any side) you do need to look at other options to rotate in regularly
They did rotate the bowlers during the Ashes, but my point is this summer the gaps between tests have been so long that the incumbents have been fresh enough that it hasn't been warranted. two tests ago they rolled a team for <40...

trundler

Didn't bowl a ball 2nd dig Adelaide. He was pretty ordinary in Melbourne. Bowled a bit too short and flat. I thought he was better in Sydney, created chances both innings which weren't taken.
In addition to this, he was fairly tight at the Adelaide in the first dig although Pujara looked solid against him. I felt like a wicket was coming against Rahane and the others but it just didn't for some reason. Fine at Adelaide and Sydney but unlucky.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Just out of curiosity, is there any more international cricket scheduled after the India series down here? Or has tha rona kinda stymied that?

Burgey

Nah I think that's it. Aus were meant to be going to SA, iirc. But there was some recent talk that may be played in a bubble in Perth. Haven't heard anything more on that in several weeks though

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
It's weird I'm so used to Ashton Agar with a buzzcut now, and not the young guy with the flowing locks back in 2013