• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at the Gabba, Brisbane, 15 - 19 Jan 2021

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Speaking of replacing Lyon, I think they should've played a 2nd spinner alongside him at the SCG to test the waters in friendly conditions.
I was an amazing effort for Lyon to take two wickets on such a nospinny graveyeard, not to mention the dropped catches.

The third Test also proved once and for all that Jadeja isn't actually a spinner.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Just a question re Neser. He's been twelfth man for god knows how long now. I imagine that must take a bit out of him mentally and whether he will ever step up to the test level. Just seems like Australia aren't planning ahead and using the other quicks at their disposal, and rotating them in accordingly. When does he become disillusioned by this and his confidence takes a shot?
as chairman of Neser Inc i must say, i think if we're going to drop an australian bowler in lieu of the sydney debacle (and i don't necessarily think we should), because of the inability to bowl at the stumps, neser is the one who remedies this.

however, i also don't think we should wield the axe here, it's way too kneejerky, as much as i'd love to see neser get a run. it's true that our big bad pace attack has in the past had issues remembering how to bowl at the stumps on day five but i think that the tonic is slapping them around the head and saying just bowl at the hecking stumps

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not sold on Neser as the heir apparent. I'd by much more comfortable with a pace attack of Pattinson, Bird and Jhye than any containing Neser.

Spark

Global Moderator
Would Philander ever have gotten a test for Oz
ordinarily no, but he actually debuted at about the same time as shield pitches were notoriously green and against aus shield batsman he would have averaged about 10, so he may well have done

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Would Philander ever have gotten a test for Oz
Probably not, although Copeland did.

He might not have even got one for South Africa if Kirsten wasn't made coach. He'd been dominating domestic cricket for ages but had been written off as a fat allrounder who bowled meds, underperformed with the bat and looked awful in ODIs. Many people were kind of sceptical of the faith Kirsten showed in him when he got the gig.

Spark

Global Moderator
Probably not, although Copeland did.

He might not have even got one for South Africa if Kirsten wasn't made coach. He'd been dominating domestic cricket for ages but had been written off as a fat allrounder who bowled meds, underperformed with the bat and looked awful in ODIs. Many people were kind of sceptical of the faith Kirsten showed in him when he got the gig.
yeah it's the copeland example i had in mind.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's obviously legit merit to having a higher pace minimum in Australia because that's where medium pacers to to die but Neser does look like he has more to him than yer run of the mill 8/10 domestic trundler batsmen are allergic to like Tabish Khan.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I was an amazing effort for Lyon to take two wickets on such a nospinny graveyeard, not to mention the dropped catches.

The third Test also proved once and for all that Jadeja isn't actually a spinner.
I think Lyon has been mentally rattled by Indian batsmen this series. Shubhman Gill, facing him for first time ever, just came down the track effortlessly and drove him against spin for a couple and then a four - which was the last thing Lyon was expecting.

Also he has been put under the pump by his counterpart massively outperforming him on this tour overall. I dont think he has felt this kind of pressure probably ever in his career in Aus.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think Lyon has been mentally rattled by Indian batsmen this series. Shubhman Gill, facing him for first time ever, just came down the track effortlessly and drove him against spin for a couple and then a four - which was the last thing Lyon was expecting.

Also he has been put under the pump by his counterpart massively outperforming him on this tour overall. I dont think he has felt this kind of pressure probably ever in his career in Aus.
He got dropped for Glenn Maxwell (batting 8) and Xavier Doherty in 2013.