• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Paine and Ashwin interactions

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
On a broader level, one thing that's driven this is how much keeper 'banter' has been promoted as one of the highlights of the game by Fox Cricket especially.

That twit Mark Howard treats it like the high point of the session when they don't commentate and just listen to the stump mikes for an over and we get to listen to the always enthralling chatter around the stumps.

Mind you, the belief in Australian cricket that the keeper needs to be chatty has always been there. It was largely inferred that a prime reason Nevill was replaced by Wade was that he was too quiet on the field. But it's gone to another level in the Fox Cricket culture.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To be fair, I can imagine Ashwin's patience might have been worn particularly thin by the events of the last few days.

Spark

Global Moderator
On a broader level, one thing that's driven this is how much keeper 'banter' has been promoted as one of the highlights of the game by Fox Cricket especially.

That twit Mark Howard treats it like the high point of the session when they don't commentate and just listen to the stump mikes for an over and we get to listen to the always enthralling chatter around the stumps.

Mind you, the belief in Australian cricket that the keeper needs to be chatty has always been there. It was largely inferred that a prime reason Nevill was replaced by Wade was that he was too quiet on the field. But it's gone to another level in the Fox Cricket culture.
I ****ing hate those interludes on the Fox broadcast. Just because you lot are too gormless to say anything insightful doesn't mean we want to hear an over of "bowling Gary" or "yes Ash"

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I ****ing hate those interludes on the Fox broadcast. Just because you lot are too gormless to say anything insightful doesn't mean we want to hear an over of "bowling Gary" or "yes Ash"
Give me that over 4 minutes of Warne talking about Basit Ali for the millionth time.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah they add pretty much nothing really. I don’t mind them crossing to it if something is actually going on or has flared up, but just for the sake of it is terrible.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You want discussions on the Hoggpile instead? :ph34r:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not this. I meant the thought that sledges on the field will not have an impact on the mental health of a vulnerable player.
Eh this is a dangerous road to go down. I know this isn't necessarily what you're saying, but you can't treat certain players differently because they seem mentally fragile and you don't want to hurt their feelings. The mental aspect of cricket, Test cricket especially, is a dominant one, and if you're out there representing your country you have to be able to deal with what comes with it both mentally and physically. If a boxer goes into a fight with a dodgy shoulder or some other pre-existing injury you don't expect the opponent to go easy on him, if anything he'll target the weakness. Obviously this doesn't forgive outright abuse or **** sledging, but you need to be able handle a certain level.