• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Paine and Ashwin interactions

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
As a parent one of the reasons I want my kids to play lots of sport (cricket among them) is for them to become better people and to learn how to share, how to work together, and to win and lose well - basic life skills (I don't expect them to become angels mind you). They don't need PR managers, media training and elite bollocks to learn that. I can't believe that grown men in the Australian cricket team haven't learnt that yet. What did their parents and junior coaches teach them?
Serious question. Have you played sports at a decent level? In my experience, it's full of toxic masculinity regardless of the culture. I mean sure they pick up some skills they wouldn't otherwise (arguable) but 'become better people'? Eh...

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Serious question. Have you played sports at a decent level? In my experience, it's full of toxic masculinity regardless of the culture. I mean sure they pick up some skills they wouldn't otherwise (arguable) but 'become better people'? Eh...
Yeah pretty decent. In trials and teams etc there's a lot of selfishness and arrogance etc, but that's in the workplace too. Look the All Blacks 2009-2017 were the most dominant professional sports team of the modern era and one of their frequently stated mantras actually was "better people make better All Blacks".

That's why legends like McCaw and Carter would stay behind and sweep out the dressing rooms after test matches.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah pretty decent. In trials and teams etc there's a lot of selfishness and arrogance etc, but that's in the workplace too. Look the All Blacks 2009-2017 were the most dominant professional sports team of the modern era and one of their frequently stated mantras actually was "better people make better All Blacks".

That's why legends like McCaw and Carter would stay behind and sweep out the dressing rooms after test matches.
Which is why they continued to select seal killer Andrew Hore, drink driver Jerome Kaino, domestic assaulter Sitiveni Sivivatu....

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surprising in the extreme to read SteveNZ getting hyper-exercised about an episode of Australian sledging and bigging it up as the greatest scandal in the sport. Totally out of character for him.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Which is why they continued to select seal killer Andrew Hore, drink driver Jerome Kaino, domestic assaulter Sitiveni Sivivatu....
Definitely -they but they tried to reform them. Of course it is PR too. I'm sure PR was a factor in the Maradona jersey presentation too, but it is good to aspire to overall excellence.

Burgey

haha yeah, I mean fmd this is a strange take indeed. McCaw quite rightly took every advantage he could on the field and pushed the rules and gamesmanship as hard as he could ffs.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Surprising in the extreme to read SteveNZ getting hyper-exercised about an episode of Australian sledging and bigging it up as the greatest scandal in the sport. Totally out of character for him.
Significant over exaggeration there my learned friend. I said they were a bunch of ****s, it’s far from the greatest scandal in sports.

And yeah, my view of Australian cricket is that it is played at the majority of levels in a sub par spirit in the name of ‘we ain’t hard unless we pass our inadequacy onto others through abuse or otherwise’. The Grade Cricketer often nails the vibe, the macho chat that goes hand in hand with not having been laid in 3 summers.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Worth mentioning before you do that NZ has a little brother inferiority complex and our nuts shrink up inside our bodies at the sight of yellow on a cricket field.

TheJediBrah

Worth mentioning before you do that NZ has a little brother inferiority complex and our nuts shrink up inside our bodies at the sight of yellow on a cricket field.
Not just a cricket field. Bump into kiwis now and then around the tracks and they'll take one look at me with my Wallabies cap walking through the nightclub, walk away from whichever female they happen to be currently engaged with and ask if he can get us both a drink on his way out

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
haha yeah, I mean fmd this is a strange take indeed. McCaw quite rightly took every advantage he could on the field and pushed the rules and gamesmanship as hard as he could ffs.
Yes, but he did it politely and with humility. Plus, he didn't feel the need to call his rivals "dickheads" and brag about the size of his Facebook friends list.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not just a cricket field. Bump into kiwis now and then around the tracks and they'll take one look at me with my Wallabies cap walking through the nightclub, walk away from whichever female they happen to be currently engaged with and ask if he can get us both a drink on his way out
I think they call this a sting operation for underage drinking.

Burgey

Yes, but he did it politely and with humility. Plus, he didn't feel the need to call his rivals "dickheads" and brag about the size of his Facebook friends list.
This is fair enough. He stood perennially offside, entered 90% of rucks from the side and stomped on a series of heads in a career lasting about 15 years. But he never called anyone a dickhead. I'll have you know he was a gentleman.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
This is fair enough. He stood perennially offside, entered 90% of rucks from the side and stomped on a series of heads in a career lasting about 15 years. But he never called anyone a dickhead. I'll have you know he was a gentleman.
Offside maybe, hands in the ruck definitely...but stomping on heads? You've made that part up.

What Richie did might've been akin to bowling bouncers at tail enders. It's legal, and you get away with what the umpire/referee allows you to as far as the advantage takes you. And refs never pulled him up. Play on. Seems very Australian to me, to invent where the line is and work to that.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Is this in regards to the average in India thing? I thought that was quite funny. Although I also find it quite funny that he was sledging a bowler that has 4 more Test centuries than Paine's zero.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, this is red hot. Alpha behaviour. In that situation I'd actually buy you two drinks and ask if you wanted me to push your backside up and down later as assistance later on if you so chose.

thierry henry

International Coach

lol at thinking McCaw and Carter are squeaky clean good blokes