• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Paine and Ashwin interactions

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean in isolation it appears quite crass, but frankly this is professional sport, things are going to be said. If it was about his family, religion or heritage then that completely crosses a line imo, but otherwise find it a bit of a storm in a teacup. Wade chipping in with the broken rib remark is pretty dirty though

EDIT - Don't condone this though, but to me it didn't cross a line. Hopefully Paine can stfu from now on as it is pure cringe
Nah, this is horse ****. No other international cricket side is carrying on like that. Others (India) might yap a bit but not with the puerile, personal, immature, piss weak stuff that Wade, Paine and co came out with. Didn't cross a line? Telling someone no one likes them, and refusing to shut the **** up when he's trying to take strike isn't crossing a line? It is, because Paine had to face up and apologise for it.

Imagine thinking you have to be a ****wit to win games of sport.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I thought Paine apologized for his piss-poor performance. Did I miss the part where he says he apologized for his piss-poor conduct?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Wasn't "Kohli has no friends" the basis of his much publicised sledge last time around too? Dipping back to the well it seems.
Yeah, I thought I remembered something similar. That strikes me as a real douche thing to say - 'ner ner ner your team mates don't like you'.

As TJB said, it's getting to the point where the decent blokes are far outweighed by the ****heads in that team. Maybe it's always been that way, except the ****heads in the 90s and 00s could actually play. Those ****heads who sledged did so when they'd performed, these ones seem to do it as a reaction to not performing (Wade, Paine, Starc does it, Lyon too)

And seemingly the biggest flog of them all, the coach, is letting it happen. Elite *insert hollow dressing wall edict here*

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I thought Paine apologized for his piss-poor performance. Did I miss the part where he says he apologized for his piss-poor conduct?
Yeah, he apologized for his performance as a keeper yesterday and for his sledging and stuff today. To be honest, it is more than what most others would have done in his shoes.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I thought I remembered something similar. That strikes me as a real douche thing to say - 'ner ner ner your team mates don't like you'.

As TJB said, it's getting to the point where the decent blokes are far outweighed by the ****heads in that team. Maybe it's always been that way, except the ****heads in the 90s and 00s could actually play. Those ****heads who sledged did so when they'd performed, these ones seem to do it as a reaction to not performing (Wade, Paine, Starc does it, Lyon too)

And seemingly the biggest flog of them all, the coach, is letting it happen. Elite *insert hollow dressing wall edict here*
Wish they'd for once embrace it and said yeah we're assholes deal with it

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah well true, if you're going to carry on like that with some level of regularity, you might as well. Beats the 'let's pretend we're sorry about it when it's actually who we are as a cricketing nation, barring Pat Cummins'.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, this is horse ****. No other international cricket side is carrying on like that. Others (India) might yap a bit but not with the puerile, personal, immature, piss weak stuff that Wade, Paine and co came out with. Didn't cross a line? Telling someone no one likes them, and refusing to shut the **** up when he's trying to take strike isn't crossing a line? It is, because Paine had to face up and apologise for it.

Imagine thinking you have to be a ****wit to win games of sport.
I'm trying not to condone this, but frankly the nature of professional sport means that players will at times let a few verbals go. I don't have the time for a long response, but does Jos Buttler (a normally mild-mannered guy) giving Philander a volley of abuse last year mean that he's an awful human? It was completely out of character for him, and pretty sure he hasn't behaved anything like that on a cricket field since

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm trying not to condone this, but frankly the nature of professional sport means that players will at times let a few verbals go. I don't have the time for a long response, but does Jos Buttler (a normally mild-mannered guy) giving Philander a volley of abuse last year mean that he's an awful human? It was completely out of character for him, and pretty sure he hasn't behaved anything like that on a cricket field since
No, and nor is Paine an awful human. I actually gained a tremendous amount of respect for him watching The Test, but that's waning now (before anyone says it, I am aware he will lose no sleep). But it's not out of character for him and his side, far from it. I think it was actually admired somewhat in the Steve Waugh sides that they were world beaters and kinda poor humans, but that was potentially what made them great. Now, it's just sooky rubbish and it's not helping them as cricketers. Truly, it isn't.

Uppercut

This was the Lehmann era.

The way it ended really should have put an end to the pro-being-a-dick faction in Australian cricket. Modern sportsmen really don't need the level of hassle that now comes with being a dick. I mean sure there are guys like Warne and Symonds who don't really get a choice over whether to be a dick or not, but Paine clearly has it in him to not be a dick, and choosing to be a dick is a tactical blunder.

OverratedSanity

Hmm, was it? It was "Hard but fair" not "deal with it we're unpleasant" according to them, they never really owned. Regardless I agree that'd be terrible if they did too.

Paine is in an uncomfortable spot because the only reason he's in the side and is captain is because of his nice guy image and the supposed team culture change post sandpapergate. If he kills that by being a prick, then well...

Uppercut

Hmm, was it? It was "Hard but fair" not "deal with it we're unpleasant" according to them, they never really owned. Regardless I agree that'd be terrible if they did too.
Yeah it's a blurry question. Lehman personally leaned into it a lot more than he tried to get away from it, but clearly he never had the backing of CA as an institution. Which is kind of the problem with being a dick now. Too much corporate money is involved for upper management to allow a cricket team to deliberately turn heel.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
As a parent one of the reasons I want my kids to play lots of sport (cricket among them) is for them to become better people and to learn how to share, how to work together, and to win and lose well - basic life skills (I don't expect them to become angels mind you). They don't need PR managers, media training and elite bollocks to learn that. I can't believe that grown men in the Australian cricket team haven't learnt that yet. What did their parents and junior coaches teach them?

Burner

International Regular
If you are going to call a press conference later to apologize, at least make your sledging worthwhile. Jeez, what was with the I've got more friends than you bit. Don't half-ass being a dick, Paine.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

The way it ended really should have put an end to the pro-being-a-dick faction in Australian cricket. Modern sportsmen really don't need the level of hassle that now comes with being a dick. I mean sure there are guys like Warne and Symonds who don't really get a choice over whether to be a dick or not, but Paine clearly has it in him to not be a dick, and choosing to be a dick is a tactical blunder.
He really doesn't. And most sportspeople are dicks by virtue of having come up in a hyper-competitive environment where hate, envy and all those other wonderful feelings thrive.

You blokes need to get a grip if you're holding up the sports person as the paragon of society.