• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Paine and Ashwin interactions

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I'll be honest, "I have more friends than you" strikes me as amusingly childish to be more than anything else. The sort of thing a nine year old might think is cutting. It's the "dickhead" bit which has landed him in hot water here.
True.

A lot of interesting comments/debate in this thread. RTB's contributions totally irrelevant.

Spark

Global Moderator
Wasn't "Kohli has no friends" the basis of his much publicised sledge last time around too? Dipping back to the well it seems.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Anyway, I really don't think Paine crossed any lines with the sledging itself, just amusing to see how tame and hilarious it is.

Should have shut up as the ball was being bowled though and good on Ashwin for moving out.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If the ball Wade threw at Vihari ended up hurting him even more I reckon Ashwin would've just walked up and shoved his bat up Wade's backside in public to avenge his best mate.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
How are you fellas able to get out of bed every day thinking like this?
I’m good, but I’ve known a few dudes who haven’t been. I’m always pretty wary/critical of comments like Paine’s. I’m sure Paine didn’t mean anything sinister but I also know that sometimes in life people questioning whether anyone likes you could go pear shaped. To me it’s on a different level to just calling someone a dickhead, which is easily shrugged off.

Anyway I’ll leave it there cos that’s just my personal take and I’ve chucked it out there fwiw

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I’m good, but I’ve known a few dudes who haven’t been. I’m always pretty wary/critical of comments like Paine’s. I’m sure Paine didn’t mean anything sinister but I also know that sometimes in life people questioning whether anyone likes you could go pear shaped. To me it’s on a different level to just calling someone a dickhead, which is easily shrugged off.

Anyway I’ll leave it there cos that’s just my personal take and I’ve chucked it out there fwiw
I suppose especially in times like now you do have to take the mental health of the players and anyone really seriously. You don't have to apologize if you feel it was a sledge that would have hurt you, mate. Good on you for pointing it out even though it was your team's captain doing it. I guess others find it not that hurtful. That is all. :)

The real question is what would Andrew Symonds and Michael Bevan think of these sledges. :ph34r:

Reactions: Red

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My friends bully me for the fact I have no friends all the time and I haven't autoerotic-asphyxiated myself to the shadow realm yet.

Red

I suppose especially in times like now you do have to take the mental health of the players and anyone really seriously. You don't have to apologize if you feel it was a sledge that would have hurt you, mate. Good on you for pointing it out even though it was your team's captain doing it. I guess others find it not that hurtful. That is all. :)

The real question is what would Andrew Symonds and Michael Bevan think of these sledges. :ph34r:
Roy’s a man of actions, not words. I’ve never heard of Bevan.

Red

My friends bully me for the fact I have no friends all the time and I haven't autoerotic-asphyxiated myself to the shadow realm yet.
Cheers man, I’m glad you haven’t. Maybe I’m a bit ott here but for some reason what Paine said was something I didn’t take as lightly as I perhaps should. The consequences bother me when ppl speak like that to each other.

I’m pleased to hear Ashwin is well liked because imo it’s a brutal thing to say to someone if you know/think they aren’t well liked.

anil1405

International Captain
Red Hill has a point here. If it was a bloke like Nel or Sreesanth or Johnson or Maxwell, who have admittedly suffered from mental health issues, at some point, there is scope for such players to interpret what Paine said in a negative way.

anil1405

International Captain
I don't think the comment was intended to be taken as an Oscar nomination.
It doesn't have to be for someone to go back to the hotel and wonder if what the guy said in the field was true when the player on receiving end is already harsh on himself.

It's just that different people interpret it in different ways. Maybe some players have endured such comments on a regular basis without their knowledge and later admitted to have been suffering with depression and stuff.