• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If you can bowl just 2 types of deliveries in test matches, what would they be?

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
As a right arm pace bowler, I would pick the out swinger and leg cutter. So much can be done with these two deliveries if you know how to create the correct angles to trouble the batsmen.

I wouldn't go for the in-swinger because you have to be super accurate to get it right and the room for error is minimal. Plus you can't get too creative with it either for e.g. If you are a right arm bowler, you can't really go round the wicket and bowl in-swingers, the batsmen can easily score runs by keeping it simple and playing straight down the ground.

What do you guys think? What would you pick if you could bowl just two type of deliveries in tests?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
If you're a right arm quick, has to be the outswinger to the RHB and the one that nips back off the seam at full pace. Outswing gives you the option of channel bowling for the caught behind, while the threat of the ball decking back means that leaving on the fourth stump line is riskier than if you only had the away-moving option.

Left arm quicks would be the inswinger to the RHB and who cares what else you've got when you can do that consistently. For spinners it's the stock ball and the stock ball with slightly more bounce, I guess, to ensure you're not overly sweep-able.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'll raise RTB with

1. Anderson to Braithwaite
2. Johnson to Faf

The second being my favourite I've ever seen live.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'll bowl the banana yorker Waqar bowled to Lara followed by the legspin Warne bowled to Gatting.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The problem with bouncers and yorkers is that they’re not easy to bowl effectively so if that’s all you’ve got you’re going to concede a lot of runs for few wickets.
I’d just take Glenn McGrath’s stock ball outside of stump and count the wickets. :smartass:

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
I'll bowl the banana yorker Waqar bowled to Lara followed by the legspin Warne bowled to Gatting.
That ball of the century as they say actually was made so by getting's inability to play spin bowling, he was standing nowhere...any good batsman of spin (like Sachin or Laxman) would have simply offered their pads, way outside leg stump, end of the story...